Computer shutsdown after an hour or two

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Thermal Compound
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2012 4:16:25 AM

Recently my computer starts shutting down randomly after an hour or two. I thought my cpu was overheating so i added new thermal paste. My cpu cores are around 50 degrees celcius on load. All my fans are working and i have cleaned all the dust. This desktop is around 6 years old. This is the first time this problem has started occuring.
What do you think the problem is? Ill post specs later. Btw i can start the computer within a few seconds but it shutsdown after 10 minutes if i do that. I also havent replaced any parts within these 6 years. The problem started before i applied the new paste.

Well i bought a new power supply and the same problem occurs.

More about : computer shutsdown hour

a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 4:46:03 AM

what is system that you have, and condition system .. default or OC ??
m
l
July 2, 2012 7:19:24 AM

Everything is default no over locking. As I said I don't think the CPU is the prpb
Em
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 7:25:57 AM

without knowing anything about the computer; my guess is the PSU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 7:33:48 AM

I would say you need to check your power supply and see if it is still outputting what it used to.
m
l
July 2, 2012 8:08:39 PM

Could it be a problem with the motherboard? I also do not get any bsod when it shutsdown or on startup
m
l
July 2, 2012 8:20:23 PM

Vote PSU also.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 10:01:37 PM

If you have a spare PSU or can borrow one from a friend and try it or you can maybe use a multimeter to check voltages.
The are also numerous power supply checkers out on the market.
You may also want to run mem test just to chek your memory it too can cause it to operate weirdly.
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:02:10 AM

Well i just replaced a psu. It went fine for 6 hours straight before it shutted down. Now when i start up it gives me one long beep before it shutsdown immediatly again. Went back to my old psu and samething i cant even go to the startup screen. I have a dell inspiron 520
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 7:40:58 AM

LOng Beep ???? error memori .. try clean reseat RAM
m
l
July 17, 2012 1:50:47 AM

If i'm not mistaken, your mobo is dying! That's what happened to mine before it went completely out (years ago). If you have another spare mobo w/cpu laying around, i'd test that one with the one of the psu's and see if you get the same result. Ehh....it wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk as well
m
l
July 26, 2012 12:57:51 PM

get a usb stick, and on another computer download pendrivelinux. follow instructions to make it bootable. plug in to your pc and change boot order to be the usb first. let it load (select non persistant). if that doesnt load you have a hardware problem. - if it does there is a problem with either your hdd or windows installation.

try removing/reseating all components and connectors if hw problem. if that doesnt work something is dead.
m
l
!