Sign in with
Your question

HELP PLEASE MOMMA BEAR NOT HAPPY RAID-0 SSD's

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2011 4:39:07 PM

I have a friend with a PC with Win7 64bit installed on a old school raptor harddrive on a Gigabyte motherboard ( GA-880GA-UD3H Ver. 3.1 with / FF bios)

And they have 2 Corsair 60 GB Force series 3 SSD's which I would like to install and set them up in a raid0 config. these drives have been config'ed before do I have to wipe them out before the bios will see them?

My problem is I can not see them in the bios when they are installed on the board. I need a step by step to install and a step by step to config to a raid0 I would like point out that the SSD's are used and I verified that they work (bought them used)

I'm going for a clean install and the data is of no worries please I need help

ah....Mama bear not happy right now and makes me :pt1cable:  (her PC going down fast and she gets the old gaming hardware since she not a gamer it will do for surfing!) Like a idiot I told her its well spent money ...oh boy!
a c 119 G Storage
December 3, 2011 5:39:02 PM

Since the two SSD's are used you don't know if they were or were not in a system where AHCI was enabled. So the first thing you could do is enable the Ahci and then format them or just enable the raid function and do a format when installing windows. Enabling the raid for the two SSD'S will wipe out the data anyway. You will have to follow the raid instructions that are listed in the owners manual for the motherboard. A basic raid 0 is done by enabling the raid setting in the bios and then when you boot you would follow the onscreen instructions to select control I to enter the raid bios and then select create raid volume and the next screen you would select the raid level , ths strip size (probably 64kb) and then the capacity then creare the volume and then you would select the two drives to raid and save /exit and load windows on the raid drive. These insrtuctions are kind of not precise because you really need the owners manual to give you step by step.
Related resources
December 3, 2011 5:52:14 PM

inzone said:
Since the two SSD's are used you don't know if they were or were not in a system where AHCI was enabled. So the first thing you could do is enable the Ahci and then format them or just enable the raid function and do a format when installing windows. Enabling the raid for the two SSD'S will wipe out the data anyway. You will have to follow the raid instructions that are listed in the owners manual for the motherboard. A basic raid 0 is done by enabling the raid setting in the bios and then when you boot you would follow the onscreen instructions to select control I to enter the raid bios and then select create raid volume and the next screen you would select the raid level , ths strip size (probably 64kb) and then the capacity then creare the volume and then you would select the two drives to raid and save /exit and load windows on the raid drive. These insrtuctions are kind of not precise because you really need the owners manual to give you step by step.

You can't enable both AHCI and RAID.
December 3, 2011 6:13:54 PM

spasmolytic46 said:

Reading is fundamental, Inzone said and I quote
Quote:
So the first thing you could do is enable the Ahci and then format them OR just enable the raid function and do a format when installing windows
a c 154 G Storage
December 3, 2011 7:17:36 PM

spasmolytic46 said:

I think you mean you can't get "trim" if you use raid. Actually ahci is a subset of raid, but current intel raid drivers do not pass on trim. It is coming though.

There is very little benefit, if any from using a ssd ai raid-0. Your sequential benchmarks will look good, but you can't tell the difference in real life. I know, I tried both. With raid, you will hurt update performance without trim.

The easy thing to do would be to install just one, using ahci and the standard windows 7 drivers. Then add the other SSD as a second drive.
It might be good to check if there are any needed firmware updates needed for the ssd's, and apply them first.
December 3, 2011 7:24:27 PM

Ichy said:
Reading is fundamental, Inzone said and I quote
Quote:
So the first thing you could do is enable the Ahci and then format them OR just enable the raid function and do a format when installing windows

My bad.
December 3, 2011 7:25:37 PM

geofelt said:
I think you mean you can't get "trim" if you use raid. Actually ahci is a subset of raid, but current intel raid drivers do not pass on trim. It is coming though.

There is very little benefit, if any from using a ssd ai raid-0. Your sequential benchmarks will look good, but you can't tell the difference in real life. I know, I tried both. With raid, you will hurt update performance without trim.

The easy thing to do would be to install just one, using ahci and the standard windows 7 drivers. Then add the other SSD as a second drive.
It might be good to check if there are any needed firmware updates needed for the ssd's, and apply them first.

Ichy got it correct. I read it a little too quickly, but you are also using some very good logic.
December 3, 2011 10:38:36 PM

geofelt said:

Thank you guy's for your input !

So are you saying a JBOD config? Do they support this? sorry for for the dragging on
a c 154 G Storage
December 3, 2011 10:51:32 PM

poppasmurf said:
Thank you guy's for your input So are you saying a JBOD config?

I see no big problem with using one drive for the os and some apps, and the second drive with another letter for files and storage.

If what you want is a single 120gb image, with one letter, then raid-0 is an option. I did that in the past just for that reason.
Now, I would have researched the JBOD option. I don't know what windows can do for you, or if the sata controller has the option to span drives, giving them the look of a single image. If you can do it, I would like to know.

I currently have a 120gb ssd. When it fills up, I would like a 240gb single image. If I buy a second 120gb ssd, I won't convert to raid-0, at least until trim passthrough is supported. I am faced with the purchase of a 240gb drive and selling the 120gb drive. But, if there is a software method of combining two 120gb drives as a single drive image, I want to know how to do it.as
!