CPU selection

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hi:

I need your help in selecting the right cpu for office application. I usually use 4 to 5 different applications simultaniously such as MS word, Excel, outlook, Quickbooks and a tax software. I am looking at two AMD cpus AMD Phenom II X2 550 and Amd Athlon II X4 630 both are around the same price and upgrading from athlon x2 4000+. Thanks for your opinion.

Solution
First, I would recommend the Athlon II x4 630 of the two, especially for the future proofing for your applications. You will notice more of a performance difference with four cores at a lower frequency without the cache than you would from the cache and higher speed of the 550.

Second, for cost savings, I would recommend the Athlon IIx3 435 at 2.9GHz for $74 (100mhz more for the 440 is not worth $12 more)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103724

Third, what's wrong with your current processor? How are you feeling about it? In other words, why are you upgrading? For all we know, it could end up being other components that are slowing you down.

Fourth, the Athlon x2 4000+ is an older processor. Although AM2...
First, I would recommend the Athlon II x4 630 of the two, especially for the future proofing for your applications. You will notice more of a performance difference with four cores at a lower frequency without the cache than you would from the cache and higher speed of the 550.

Second, for cost savings, I would recommend the Athlon IIx3 435 at 2.9GHz for $74 (100mhz more for the 440 is not worth $12 more)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103724

Third, what's wrong with your current processor? How are you feeling about it? In other words, why are you upgrading? For all we know, it could end up being other components that are slowing you down.

Fourth, the Athlon x2 4000+ is an older processor. Although AM2 boards theoretically support the phenom IIs and Athlon IIs, some older boards simply are not capable. Check with your motherboard manufacturer online for the CPU support of your current motherboard. You may need a bios update in order for it to work.

Solution

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Your current cpu may not even need to upgraded for those tasks. As enzo stated it may just something else. Common cause for a slowdown is a windows has slowed to a crawl for whatever reason. Not unless those 4-5 apps are doing massive number crunching all the time and putting a max load on the dual core I would not upgrade.

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

First of all my motherboard Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 does support both cpus with latest bios.

Secondly, I have noticed when I do some intensive spreadsheet taks and database (time keeper) apps at the same time it slows down a lot and cpu usage reach at 80%. I am thinking to upgrade to Windows 7 and also put WD black SataII HDD. Currently, I am running windows xp, ATA 100 WD HD and 2 gig DDR2 ram. We have gigabit network already.

I don't know the details of your programs but by the sound if it, 80% seems kind of high. What tasks in the task manager are using the most CPU?

Another option if you still want to upgrade the CPU is to upgrade the motherboard also. You can get an AM2+ motherboard that will support everything you have now for about $80 or less.