pjgatto

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hi everyone.
Im having a bit of a problem with my computer.
Ive got a EN9500GT/DI/1G (http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=maYVfRROoqefTOXb) Graphics card , the problem is, the card sits nicely in a pci e x16 slot, but the cooling fan is right on top of a spare pci slot making it useless
the mother board is a MSI K9N6PGM2 (http://www.input-pc.de/catalog/images/k9n6pgm2-v.jpg )

What would you recomend? I though about replacing the cooler, but i dont seem to find a "skiny" one.

Im kind o new to this so take it easy on me guys, thanks

I'd recommend leaving that PCI slot open. As long as you don't have to put anything there, it's not a problem.

I'm sure you can mess around with the cooling, but I'm not confident enough to say you should do that.

A lot of cards take up two slots these days. The motherboard makers are aware of that and tend to design their boards so that nothing's going to get covered up that you absolutely have to use or there's not a duplicate for (hence the reason why the PCIe x1 slot is behind the x16 slot on your board).

But there's really nothing to worry about, unless you really NEED to fill both PCI slots with things that there's no PCIe x1 version of. I can't imagine too many scenarios where that would happen.

pjgatto

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
thanks for the replys guys

the pci at the bottom is being used by a wifi card, i have a spare tv card and wanted to use the other slot that is covered by the fan.
Maybe like you said a should look for a x1 card istead.

thank you

They also do make PCIe x1 wifi cards. Those can be had as low as the $20-$30 range depending on what kind you need. USB wifi cards look like they're about the same.

For a wifi adapter, I'd personally take an x1 card over a USB, if only because USB devices occasionally have ... issues ... for no good reason that you can ascertain. For something as important as an Internet connection, I'd just take the option that's going to be guaranteed reliable.

Of course, if you have more than one machine that needs wifi, or you need to have a portable option, the USB device would make life a lot easier. Although that's kind of rare, since most laptops have wifi built in these days.