Hello, THG.

I may have asked several times about this, but it never hurts to keep asking questions, right?

Anyways. I am currently trying to obtain a CompTIA A+ cert and is in the processor getting a job,( but more like wanting and needing one.) With this certificate, I hope to get into a computer related job somewhere, In town, where I live, there is a tech shop near by; it has all the well-rounded techie stuff, form the IT's themselves to the components to computers.

My questions are as followed:

1) What are my chances of getting a job there in the next few months?
2) What should i ask for before I seek them out?
3) After I get my certificate, what are the next things to do?
4) How should I construct a resume,( if needed)?
5) What should I tell them about my computer literacy and my low level tech-knowledge?
6) Should I ask them for a menial task in the shop before the real heavy tech stuff?
7) Is there anything else I can do with an A+ certificate if I do not get a job there?
8) Can I do part time?

Thank You whoever for taking time out of your day and reading this, and hopefully sharing your greater knowledge with me and others.

Dogman_1234

P.S. I know I have done other posts, but I think this one is more in-depth.

christop

Distinguished
Man I would go and get a master in computer science or something like that if you want a really good job. Good luck with the local job. I can't find anything right now.No one is hiring cause the economy is in the crapper. I was working for a company for a while and quit the job cause it was a pain to get parts for customer and my boss was selling computers to people with no coa and win 7 installed on them. I hate to break it to you just A+ is not a huge factor in today's I.T world. Might want to get server admin ,Cisco, and maybe network admin. I telling you there are a ton of people out there who have fixed 3 or 4 computers and think they are an expert. I wish you the best man..

Wow, realy. I would be lucky to have a job, but, since you said th job was making crappy desicions, I would not want to promote that.

sorry to hear.

I just wanted to get a job. I have looked around where I live an no one is hiring. i keep hearing jobs available, but I am not qualified at all for them. I have placed applications in many places and no one will talk to me. I am running low on cash because of the stupid oil prices.

Really, IAH, I would also like to ask what I can do with the A+ if this place does not hire me.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

A+ shows that you know the basics about computer hardware and software. It places on about (maybe a fraction higher) the same level as the Tech's that work for BestBuy/Office Dept/ect.... Only thing is they dont require you to pass the A+ exam to work there.

Now there is 1 major problem you face when advancing yourself and that is Diploma VS Certification

now for some pro's/con's

Diploma:
Pro's -
You have taken multiple classes and passed them. Showing you can stick with it and you finish things. It also shows your a well rounded IT Person because you have taken programming, Database, server, ect.. classes and have dabbed in a little of everything. Employees who are hiring for Entry Level & Associate Level IT Jobs Look for Degree's over Certifications

Con's -
You passed a bunch of classes doesn't mean you remember/know how to do anything.... People out of high school may be more computer savvy then you because you can pass a class without learning anything.

Certification:
Pro's -
You are certified by a IT professional exam that you understand and know how to use the certified system. This is the second best thing, just behind actual experience to show a employer. Later in your life when you have your BS degree and a 5 or 6 years experience Certifications will help prove your specialization in a specific area and make you a better candidate for down the road IT Jobs.
Con's -
No entry level job will look for any certification beyond a A+. Most people hiring for entry level just want someone reliable with some computer experience. Exams are costly and unlike a Diploma there is no Financial Aid you can apply for so it's all out of pocket. (Might be some tax deductions you can look into though since it's helping you land a job)

SO.. I would suggest this....
A+ Certification
Look for a job in a job as a Repair Tech, Geek Squad at best buy, Computers plus, office depot, ect... Electronic Sales isn't bad either it's closer
to the area you want and leaves room to be promoted later on after you show all your PC knowledge.

Enroll in a A.S. / B.S. Degree (2yr gets a slightly better job faster, 4yr gets a much better job a little later)
Look for a Job in a Tech Role if you dont have one yet - Look for jobs at the university/college your enrolled into. (the pay may not be great, but
even working geek squad gives you IT experience.)
Every Summer Get a new Certification, Now get these in any way or specialization you like.

About the time you Graduate with your 2yr (A.S.) degree or halfway done with your B.S. degree then you need to look for a better job again. This
time you have 3 Certifications and a AS Degree or a half completed BS degree to back you up a little more. Target Computer Shops, University
computer tech, entry level jobs for computer help at larger facilities Dell, Verizon, AT&T (phone companies have MANY MANY computer users taking
support calls all day long... always needing it people) Also if you went the A.S. option you need to enroll for B.S. degree (most will let you jump right
into the core classes when you transfer, might have to pick up 1-3 gen ed classes this is normal) The reason for this is if you did financial aid you
want to be able to keep going to school to you get your BS so you dont have to start paying back loans.

Graduation with a B.S. Degree - Now you should be looking for a wide variety of Jobs. You can do everything from Desktop support up to Entry level security for granting access to users. Now more then likely you will start out in Desktop Support of some kind (phone support or hardware/software support) and build some experience then move up the ladder. Most companies prefer Experience over certifications.

Look for a good job before continuing your education. At this point some hands on experience and certifications might help you more then a Masters degree.

Here is a list of some certifications you can take as you start your first few years of school. Only take these if your looking for something in the near future. If you know where you want to be 10 yrs from now you can change these around to suit your needs. These are suggestions only and remember take them every summer (and winter if you can) that way they don't interfere with your classes. This does favor a CIT/Tech role instead of a programmer FYI.
1st year - A+ Certification
2nd year- Windows 7 Configuration Exam by Microsoft this makes you a MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
3rd year- Windows Server - (that win 7 exam you just took to become a MCP? it's required for this one)
4th year - You have been at this for a while now, you should look into what area you want to end up in. Server Admin, Programmer, Database,
Cisco Tech, ect.. If you havn't decided yet then you need to spice up your resume throw in a CCNA (Cisco network cert) or Network+/Security+
certs from comptia. If your feeling really adventurous take one on Linux/Unix not many people have these certs.

TIPS & TRICKS
*Try to stay at each job at least 2 years. No one likes a quitter and it looks poor on your resume if you change too often. Also gives you time to build repor with your employer for a good reference.

*Always offer a 2 week notice and leave the company on good standings so you can use them as a reference.

*Don't over burden yourself. Passing the classes doesn't mean your learning it. I took 19hrs my last semester and i hated it. I passed them all and learned nothing...

*Certifications usually have a life time of 3 or more years. Re-cert promptly if your still looking for a job, but you can be more relax if you got a comfortable position.

*Dress 1 layer higher then what your employer does for the interview. If they say Business Casual is ok, dress business proffesional ect... You want to show them that your professional on the outside and inside.

*Don't be late or miss days in the first 6 months because that is your lasting impression.

*Don't get discouraged, It can take a lot of time to find your first job or a better job. Just be patient and thank everyone for the chance to interview with them.

* When you land a job look for places you want to be promoted too. Research what they do and what skills they need and study/Certify in that direction. I want to do Cisco Administration, but my next goal is to get into our Server admin group so i'm taking classes/certs towards microsoft server.

* Cisco certs are new and impressive looking, but not in as high demand as Microsoft certifications are for now and prob for the future.

* Keep going to school until you get a job and you can afford to pay back your loans. It is a good idea to pay the interest on your loans while you goto school (on any that collect interest while your going) Pay more if you can less if you can't.

* If you need $$ or Experience start doing computer work at your home. You can file as a business just keep good records because if you make over $600 you have to file taxes on it. This is some extra $$ and experience. That and employers like seeing you have a business card so make some and make them look professional not flashy.

* Lastly don't post extremely long post in the forums because no one will really read this far down. :pt1cable:

^ :lol:

Thanks. I cannot enter college right now, but I cannot really tell you what I am thinking right now. I may have to process this over the next hour. :D

Anyways, thanks. Hope you can post back.

I know with the A+, Best by and the other guys I have talked to and heard form people is that the A+ makes you 'overqualified' for some reason or another. I do not know why. I live in a town where the only tech areas are is the local shop I want to get into and Office Depot, but they do not have any open posts...and I do not want to boot out a guy who is actually needed,( not like it will happen). Just saying.

What can I say to the tech at the shop. I may not be a top tech with experience, but could I do menial tasks that you guys hate to do and takes time away for repair?

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Tell them to hire you or you will run them out of business!

no really don't do that : )

Well if they dont need someone then they simply don't need someone.

A good question is are you wanting a IT Job or a good paying job? What i'm getting at is you can offer to work for them Part time to start, just when they need a extra hand or so.

Also tell them the things you know how to do, make a resume to bring by and ask to talk to the manager(manager is usually the owner in local shops) so that he knows your name and your interest.

They can't hire you if they don't know what you can do, and that you want the job. So get to it before someone else does :)

Dress like the employees from a major store (polo shirt & khaki's, dress shoe/nice boots instead of tennis shoes). That way you look professional. Bring a Resume. Word comes with templates for a resume, or you can download Open Office for free and download some templates for a resume for that.

Make sure to list positive aspects. What you CAN do, NOT what you WANT to do understand?

If you mention your working on a A+ tell them a date.

"This summer I will be taking my A+ certification exam."
This sounds better then

"I want to take the A+ certification exam"
Less believable this way.

Practice talking in a mirror so you look confident in your stance and speech when talking. Chicks...i mean employers dig the confidence!!

Tell them things you CAN do that a avg user CANNOT do. Examples below

*and yes i'm trying to make this short....it just isn't working...*

Avg User CAN do.
*install software
*setup a new PC
*update windows
*defrag a computer
*install a Wireless Router using the cd installer

Avg User CANNOT do
*motherboard troubleshooting
*installing a Wireless router manually.
*Troubleshoot a printer
*Replace Hardware components (Hard drive, cdrom, ram, PSU)
*Troubleshoot those same hardware components.
*Understand compatibility (6Gb Ram in a 32bit O/S is a no no)

Beware that business like BestBuy,depot,ect.. might look for previous job experience, degree, certifications,..... a Local Shop is more likely to ask you a few technical questions to quiz you.

How extensive is your knowledge? You can google virtually everything about computers with enough patience.

*things to know before you go*

What is a POST test
Default IP address for most routers (192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1)
How to Enable wireless security (add a password to wireless network)

PM me if you like. i gotta get back to work for a little while : )

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Also, carefully proofread any resume's, and/or applications that you send out for spelling, grammar, and sentence structure.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

The data I'm looking at shows 5.2%...regardless, IT is something actually quite difficult to get into these days as a young person, primarily due to budgetary restraints and boomers refusing to retire. Most places value experience above all else when it comes to IT, and you need a job to get experience...you need the experience to get a job...it's a circle.

1resonance

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hey Guys, I may live in England but things aren't exactly peachy over here either.

From a complete outsiders point of view I would definitely keep asking about the job and make sure that you are in the shop when you can.

there is no harm in asking for a trial period either. Ask if you can just work there for experience and no pay if necessary at least you will be getting experience and hanging out with some techies. If a job comes along then you're in the right place.

Make friends with them mate and at least make them an offer.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
No joke I got my current job at a bar........

At the pub I frequent I started talking with my current employer and sure enough when a position opened up I was the first one to get an offer.

I know this sounds cliche but networking can come in very handy. Just from frequenting tech shops in the area I know most of the good techs in my neighborhood. And they all have specialty, If I need anything really tricky I have the A team of nerds.