Sign in with
Your question

Any way to avoid Lock Screen on boot?

Last response: in Windows 8
March 4, 2012 1:36:18 AM

I can see the purpose of a Lock Screen if you actually lock your screen after boot up. Like when you step away from your computer to get some coffee, you can press <Windows Key + L> to keep prying eyes and hands away from your work. (With Windows 8 Metro, there's probably a more convoluted path to do it, I'm sure. :lol: )

However, why the extra step during the boot process? Why not boot directly to the log-in screen? (Or, presumably, if you have a single user with no password, directly to the Start screen?)

Is there a way to do that: boot directly to the log-in screen, bypassing the Lock Screen?

More about : avoid lock screen boot

March 4, 2012 1:38:37 AM

There is, but everytime I do it(User accounts in control panel), it reverts back on the next bootup. I think it has to do with windows messenger, for me that is.
m
l
March 4, 2012 1:42:27 AM

Oh yea, in control panel, there is Power Options, in the left pane, says require password on wakeup, is that what you are looking for?
Or just the straight boot up?
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 1:52:25 AM

I want to change just the boot-up process.

I *want* to password protect a wake-up from a manually invoked Lock Screen (or a timed-out one, i.e. one that pops up after a designated time of inactivity.)

What is the value of an added step in boot up? Why lock the screen when a user hasn't even logged on yet? I'm missing the Big Picture.
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:59:00 AM

The lock screen is standard on all products. Look at your phone, you boot it up but there is still a lock screen. Some people boot their computer and don't go use it instantly so the lock screen provides a nice look. It is also one swipe up to unlock and I am pretty sure most people don't mind it.
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:30:46 AM

My iPhone boots up to a screen where I directly enter my 4-digit code and then I'm active on my "desktop."

Windows 8 offers a pretty picture/lock screen that I must flick out of the way to get to the screen where I enter my password. Windows 8 inserts an intermediate step that my iPhone doesn't.
m
l
!