Water cooling amd 965 phenom 2

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
would it be possible to remove the fins from my freezer 13 pro and cut the heatpipes open to use the rest as a cpu water block running water through the heat pipes

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm not sure I'd even want to try this. I suppose in theory, heatpipes are hollow, but they aren't designed for high flow that a watercooling pump would provide. Furthermore, you would really be limiting the amount of block to water surface area vs. what you'd get from a normal waterblock so the resulting cooling potential would be lower than a watercooling block. You also run into the issue of connecting a larger tubing run into a smaller manifold to split the flow into the small channels of the heatpipes and then back again.

I like the DIY idea, but I don't see how this would work out to be a good working concept. If you are going to watercool, you are going to spend a bit of money anyway...just get a CPU block.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

i am going to buy a whole water cooling kit any way but id like to try this ill see what happens

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Don't get me wrong, change doesn't come about from simply doing what has continually been done...it requires that someone try something new. If you do attempt this, post images and some write up if you can...I'm more curious than anything. Also, be sure to include some testing of different benchmarks and loads with your current cooler, your project cooler and then the watercooling setup, if possible. This should give you an idea of how well it works by comparison.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
wow! this is a cool idea, so if you do not mind I would like to give opinion on this experiment if I were doing this myself. keep in mind though I am in the same opinion as rubix on this subject with regards to whether or not it can hold water, but let's assume it can. first I would not dismantle the cooler in any way, by design it my help to cool the water the way it is. look at the top of the cooler where the 4 heat pipes are showing through on each side. I would drill the tops of the pipes then tap the to the size of connectors that will be attached to the top. with would be the G1/8 or G1/4 thread size depending on how large the piping is. then I would use a parallel porting of 4 ports in and 4 ports out to relieve some of the restriction on the system. I know that there is a lot more to tell but if you have any questions please ask, and here have a look at my build I am doing something a little different myself.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimental-radiator-build

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like a good reason to work on an experimental mod, then; hardware that is outdated and otherwise not an issue if you make a mistake.

Let's try to keep this positive or at least constructive if there is criticism is to be dealt. Otherwise, if the project idea is that appalling, simply hit back on your browser and retract from all comments.

Mines a 975 but the answer from Op should be the same as my answer,
IMAG0564.jpg

Because I can.

Moto

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

yeah maybe i dont want to risk destroying a 500 pound i7

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

im pretty sure a copper pipe can hold water my house is full of them but yes it will run a splitter from one larger tube to four smaller ones in and from four smaller to one large out and i think the freezer 13 pro is good any way due to thick heat pipes and at the end of the day before i cut a heatpipe open its pressure tight so as long as i seal it properly ill be fine and wont leak

I thought about trying this as an experiment years ago but never got round to it, I think the problem will be avoiding leaks where you connect tubing to the heat pipes and no idea how well it would work, from what I can see of the cooler I see no reason why it would be any worse than a water block. Good luck with it.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

well if it works well with no leaks it could be done with the standard amd cooler saves alot of money

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Shouldn't you be able to take a heatsink base and make a few cuts etc. and get a "theoretical" cpu block?
In theory, yes, that's all a water block is...a heat sink block that's drilled for water passage and milled for heat dissipation.

well if it works well with no leaks it could be done with the standard amd cooler saves alot of money
Depends. Are you planning on just running water through the circuit; in one side of pipes, out the other, through the pump, repeat? Or will there be a radiator involved to help dissipate heat? I'm thinking you might want to consider the radiator as well, but by the time you account for parts and items to make this happen, you'd be better off with an actual water block that will perform better. Cost would be the only thing I'd consider being a drawback when attempting this mod...that and the flow restriction from the heatpipes.

Still though, interesting project.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

yes i can afford it but my point is being able to save 40 quid for a cpu block or chopping up your standard amd one for free and an extra fiver for adapting it anyway im am performing this mod soon and well see if its performance is worth it and i am defo using a radiator and this mod is gonna cost me 75 quid everything included with a cpu block all adapters and fittings so it actually saves alot considering if it will work and peform

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok so, res/pump, CPU block, res/pump, and radiator back to the first res/pump does that sound about right?

you may have noticed the flow rate tests that I did on my build it is very possible that you won't need two res/pumps to run your system.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

ill test with one first to be honest though i dont see why ths wont work just as well

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
update im going to use a freezer 7 for this mod as the 13 is brand new n i aint choppin at it but if the performance of a 15 quid freezer 7 is almost as good as proper watercooling then any heatpipe cooler with more heatpipes will be better wont it im am doing this mod between one and two weeks but i also got to get hold of a cheap graphics card as all i have is a hd 6990 and if i screw it up its alot to lose so might not be able to do this straight away but i am definatly doing this so ill post pics and updates too