Add more voltage even if you think its stable!

I have just found out that increasing the voltage in your overclocking a bit further that what you consider "stable", might fix the micro-stuttering that people has been experiencing with certain games.

For months Ive had my AMD 965@3.9GHZ, NB 2.6GHZ; 1.4Vcore, 1.25VCPUNB for what I considered "stable", since at that OC config my system managed 24hrs with no errors/overheating in Prime in blend, small, and large tests, Linx, Intel Burn Test. So with all those test passed with no problems for 24 hrs, one might think I got a very stable OC, but I was so wrong.

Ive tried to get my system to 4.0GHZ and increased all the voltages a bit; I raised CPUVcore to 1.425 and NBVcore to 1.3 and I accidentally forgot to move my CPU to 4.0GHZ and I had it set it still to 3.9GHZ. As soon as I was testing my new settings even the only 2 games that had been giving micro-stuttering problems like mafia 2 and Skyrim were totally SMOOTH now!, 100% Smooth no stuttering, it was just perfect!. I was blaming my micro-stuttering problems to all other things like GPU, drivers, etc. (Updating drivers fixed some of the micro-stuttering but not at 100%, Increasing volts did it).

My suggestion is that even if you think that your OC its stable because u passed successfully a test of 24 hrs with prime 95, Linx, Intel Burn test, that doesn't mean that your overclock its stable, your system has to function real-smooth in every application (especially games, there are games that are very sensitive to overclocking like Mafia II and Skyrim as I discovered).

So if you having a bit of micro-stuttering in a game, u might want to raise your volts a bit to see if u can get rid of the stuttering, remember this: don't think your OC is perfect just because u passed a 24 hrs test of prime95, Linx, etc. Might be worth for some people to try this as well.
5 answers Last reply
More about voltage stable
  1. I guess this only applies to AMD processors.
  2. Might apply to Intel as well, there are a lot of threads about unexplainable micro-stuttering in games with Intel owners.
  3. What games? I could probably say I know what your talking about and it can probably be fixed by using a SSD.
  4. after reducing voltage on my 965 to 1.35 I had some bad micro stuttering in bf3. thanks for the tip!
  5. The only way this would make any sense is if it was somehow linked to PCIe transport errors
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking