Torn between upgrade options.

G

Hello,

I've got an older machine I've been meaning to upgrade for a while now. Basically the machine has always been a problem, its motherboard has always acted up. Due to misuse in the past. So it was given to me and it has been sitting for a while since. Currently the specs are:

Asus A8N Sli Premium
Athlon 64 4000+ 2.41GHz
2 GB Corsair

Motherboard's SLi slots are damaged, and recently found out that so are the IDE slots. So basically I need to replace the motherboard. I've been out of date as far as prices go, and while doing some research I've been torn between some decisions. Should I simply replace the motherboard for another socket 939.. or do I upgrade with a newer socket and CPU?

I am looking for the cheapest, or more budget efficient way to get this back up running. I would like to do a video card upgrade for it as well since the one it had also died along with its slot. I hate to see its processor go to waste though. However, I do want to upgrade it a little bit with a new video card (nothing extreme, just enough to run some of these newer games that all require Shader 3.0 and all) maybe just a HD 4770. Being this is not my main computer, I don't want to spend money on something that will likely not be used much at all.

So I'll appreciate any input you guys have. Does it make sense financially to upgrade to a newer socket and CPU, or just replace with same socket 939 to make use of the CPU and get a new video card?

Once again, thank you!

You realize that you can't reuse your old ddr. I would look for a 939 board; any that you can find. They're getting scarce now. You can't be too picky. Otherwise, try selling your old ddr and see if you get any offers. Then you can start pricing your upgrade.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
939 Mobo's are getting pretty rare, finding one might cost you a bit and just die out on you anytime. Also the Athlon 64 4000+ (assuming this is the single-core variant), is pretty slow now for today's recent games which usually recommend at least a dual core.

For me, it ain't worth the work to find a (probably or most likely) second hand motherboard.

G

That is pretty much what I assumed. I just haven't been up to date on the prices, but from what I gathered it has been pretty hard to find the 939's and it's quite pricey too. Doesn't seem like it's worth it to reuse the CPU either then. Thank you!