Sign in with
Your question

OC advise on new build w/ i7 2600k

Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2012 9:35:52 AM

Hi All,

I've recently ordered my pc components and hopefully they're on the way to me in the post.
This will be my first build but it should be ok as I fix ps3's and xbox's so know how to take apart put together electronics and have watched a huge number of videos on building pc's.

Anyway, my specs are below and i was just wondering what you guys think i should aim to overclock my i7 2600k to? I've seen some vid's on new egg where they oc'd it to 5.2ghz but not sure whether this is safe or beneficial either. Also bear in mind i've never oc'd before - with below build do i even need to?

If you could let me know your thoughts that would be great and also opinions on the build? I had a mac which i couldn't upgrade so decided to sell and build a pc which will hopefully perform well for the next few years.

Also on a side note is it worth oc'ing my gpu even though it's already overclocked?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Build:
Linksys AE1000 Wireless N Dual Band USB Network Adapter
Creative Audigy SE 7.1/PCI Bulk Sound Card internal PCI
LiteOn IHAS124-19C 24x Internal DVDRW Black Bulk SATA
Crucial CT256M4SSD2 256GB M4 SSD
Corsair Obsidian 800D case
Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 S1155 Z68 ATX SND+GLN+1394+U3 SATA6GB/S DDR3 IN - 90-MIBGC5-G0EAY00Z
XFX Radeon HD 7950 Graphics Card 3GB PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDMI/Mini-DisplayPort/DVI - FX-795A-TDBC
OCZ Technology MAINSTREAM-PERFORMANCE 850W PSU 80+ ULTRAQUIET DOUBLEBALLBEARING
27" Dell Ultrasharp U2711 Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor - Black
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Unlocked Processor
Corsair H100 Water-Cooling CPU Cooler
2 of Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB DIMM Memory Module

Cheers

Tim

More about : advise build 2600k

a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 9:59:09 AM

5.2ghz would be pushing it a bit for long term use

i have same motherboard and cpu with corsair h80

and run 5ghz with 1.4v

would advise no more than 1.4v for cpu

every chip is different and not all will hit 5ghz at that voltage but 4.6ghz to 4.8ghz should be acheivable

main thing is check temperatures and not go crazy with the voltage

also dont rely on the asus AI suite temperatures as it reports 10c to low for me--i use realtemp

and try to manually overclock as again asus AI suite can overvolt

and if you bought a k version cpu and a h100 then of course you should overclock it

a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 10:27:31 AM

Quote:

If you could let me know your thoughts that would be great and also opinions on the build? I had a mac which i couldn't upgrade so decided to sell and build a pc which will hopefully perform well for the next few years.

Nice decision. I am always happy to hear people building their PC. Get the most of your money's worth.

Quote:

Creative Audigy SE 7.1/PCI Bulk Sound Card internal PCI

Any reason why you buy a sound card? Your motherboard actually have a great on-board audio.

Related resources
July 2, 2012 10:34:47 AM

Ah ok,

I'm not that clued up with sound so didnt realise that i wouldn't need a sound card - I'll just be using headphones or standard pc speakers.

If i have a chance I'll cancel it.

Cheers

Tim
July 2, 2012 11:34:23 AM

Also - I've been reading up on oc'in and also the sticky on this forum for 2600k oc guide, very useful.

My question is this:

When pushing the multiplier upin the bios until it's unstable do i then just need to add small increments in voltage to the vcore setting until it boots or do i need to fiddle around with the other voltage settings?

I'd obviously follow all the pre-requsites of the guide in terms of enabling and disabling settings in the bios first.

Cheers

Tim
July 2, 2012 12:48:50 PM

OC a 2600K is very easy. As you say you just need to update the CPU core voltage. 1.25 is the voltage at stock 3.4 speed. I get 4.4 with just 1.28, which is not too hot at all and very fast. If you go over 4.5 then it will get hot and you will need a decent CPU cooler.
July 2, 2012 1:41:20 PM

ok great sounds good.

So just to double check, could i set the cpu straight away to say 4.8ghz and set the vcore to 1.4 and then if that works slowly increase the cpu to see how much i can push it?

Then when i've found the sweet spot (wherever that is) start decreasing the vcore to get the temp down?

I'll have a h100 to keep the cpu cool but don't want to break anything!

What's an ideal temp to have the cpu at? is there a rule of thumb not to go over a temp?

Cheers and sorry for questions just don't wana break anything as the build is costing me quite a bit! :) 
July 2, 2012 3:39:58 PM

Quote:
ok great sounds good.

So just to double check, could i set the cpu straight away to say 4.8ghz and set the vcore to 1.4 and then if that works slowly increase the cpu to see how much i can push it?

Then when i've found the sweet spot (wherever that is) start decreasing the vcore to get the temp down?

I'll have a h100 to keep the cpu cool but don't want to break anything!

What's an ideal temp to have the cpu at? is there a rule of thumb not to go over a temp?

Cheers and sorry for questions just don't wana break anything as the build is costing me quite a bit! :) 

Personally I would setup the new build and install Windows without any OC and run that for 24 hours or so to make sure it is all working ok.

After that I would start to OC. With my P67 MSI board it came with an overclock guide that had a suggested range of voltages for size of CPU OC, so have a look on the Asus website as they should have similar documentation.

Then set what you would like and turn down the core voltage as much as you can in increments, testing for stability each time with something like Prime95.

A Google search for your board and cpu may also provide what others have managed to achieve for OC.
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 6:07:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Overclocking by Mousemonkey
July 14, 2012 6:36:06 PM

It seem your going to have a sweet rig when your done but your going to find you wish you have a better motherboard like the Sabertooth Z77. You cant go wrong with that board..Have you considered a second SSD so your able to double your reading performance thats well worth it...But really all your parts are outstanding but your soundcard if your interested in sound like i am its well worth spending a extra few bucks and get a good soundcard theres a few audiophile level sound card on the market that has extreme headphone performance in your case the Asus Xonar Essence ST or the HT Omega claro Plus+ these are the very best sound cards on the market for PC sound systems of headphones...
July 14, 2012 7:18:53 PM

Im sure he choose a soundcard because he knows theres not a onboard audio on any board thats worth anything..I have heard onboard audio from the best motherboards on the markes and still the sound was terrible
July 14, 2012 9:30:33 PM

You say he should get real water cooling..So what isn't real about the H100.. You have to realize the real watercooling as you call it is the waste of money..There's no reason for the big loop anymore computers are now run much cooler..Look at the new video cards there processor are now 28 nanometer so there no reason at all to go water cooling so believe me or not the big loop is on its way out...
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 11:16:03 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
5.2ghz would be pushing it a bit for long term use

i have same motherboard and cpu with corsair h80

and run 5ghz with 1.4v

would advise no more than 1.4v for cpu

every chip is different and not all will hit 5ghz at that voltage but 4.6ghz to 4.8ghz should be acheivable

main thing is check temperatures and not go crazy with the voltage

also dont rely on the asus AI suite temperatures as it reports 10c to low for me--i use realtemp

and try to manually overclock as again asus AI suite can overvolt

and if you bought a k version cpu and a h100 then of course you should overclock it

douglasw said:
You say he should get real water cooling..So what isn't real about the H100.. You have to realize the real watercooling as you call it is the waste of money..There's no reason for the big loop anymore computers are now run much cooler..Look at the new video cards there processor are now 28 nanometer so there no reason at all to go water cooling so believe me or not the big loop is on its way out...

is it bad cooling for the price it sells for. bad pump and rad design as well.

also a real water cooling loop is not a waste of money if you want low temps for your overclock so that your cpu actually lasts a while.

Ivy bridge cpus are NOT cool running.
!