I7 920 + 5970 Overclocked system: Power supply questions.

Lithnor

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Picking up the last few pieces to my system this week, need some help with the power supply.

I plan on pushing this thing as hard as I possibly can on air... I am worried my current PSU might not be able to do it.

Rampage II Extreme
Core i7 920 (at least @4gz)
Sapphire HD5970 (again, OCd as hard as possible)
Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 1333(unless someone has a better choice)
Running an eyefinity setup (not sure if that matters at all... a few of the PSU calcs I've seen mention monitors?) in 5760x1200
Thermaltake W0116RU 750W 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version (this is the piece I'm worried about.... pushing ~400W to the 5970 alone... makes me wonder if this will hold up)

Basicly, as I've said, I'm really just looking for someone who knows more about Watts + Rails to tell me if this PSU would be able to push this system to its absolute limits and if not, recommend one for me. I've read quite a bit that its not really about the Wattage of the PSUs anymore these days and more about how much you can pull off the 12v rail.... This is where I'm totally lost.

Thanks for the help in advance.

(Also accepting RAM ideas) :)

Solution
looks like 60a combined on the 12v rail (s), should be able to hold you down @ stock no problem.

Overclocking you may push it close if you're going 4GHz or more. Also, you overclocking the video card?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
looks like 60a combined on the 12v rail (s), should be able to hold you down @ stock no problem.

Overclocking you may push it close if you're going 4GHz or more. Also, you overclocking the video card?

Solution
You should be okay.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5970 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin and one 150 watt, 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors

850 Watt power supply with two 75 watt 6-pin, and two 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Lithnor

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

Yes, I plan on pushing everything as far as possible :)

Whats the point of having the MASSIVE headroom in a 5970 if you dont plan on using it? :)

Lithnor

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

Guess I should clarify.... That means with the Thermaltake i linked, I should be ok?

Edit: I should read more. Yea... I'll be fine with this. thanks for your help!