$600-800 Gaming rig

I've built a number of computers over the years but havn't been keeping up to date on things in the last year or two. Let me know what you think of this part list. I'm not attached to any brand. I don't care AMD/Intel. I just want the best for the least $$.

Thoughts?

Rosewill ATX Mid Tower $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147010

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0 Ghz $166
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

WD 500GB $56
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

Gigabyte GA-MA770 $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128376

EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ $135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Thermaltake Purepower 500W $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

G.Skill 4GB DDR2 SDRAM $84
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

LG DVD Burner $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

Total $631
6 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. NO to DDR2 and that too at this price range...
    $40 more will get you this config...
    X4 955 + ASUS 785G
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.308653

    RAM
    Patriot
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220435

    HDD - This Samsung F3 500GB is a better one...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

    GPU - Why you want a old card ?
    HD 5770
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102864

    PSU - this is a better one and is modular too...
    OCZ Mod 500W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

    CASE - Comes with free shipping and is far better for less(Including the shipping cost)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154098

    DVD - No to IDE drives...go for SATA - Thinner cable less clutter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106334

    Total - $672 | $637 Including rebates...
  2. Banli said:
    I've built a number of computers over the years but havn't been keeping up to date on things in the last year or two. Let me know what you think of this part list. I'm not attached to any brand. I don't care AMD/Intel. I just want the best for the least $$.

    Thoughts?

    Rosewill ATX Mid Tower $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147010

    AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0 Ghz $166
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

    WD 500GB $56
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

    Gigabyte GA-MA770 $75
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128376

    EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ $135
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

    Thermaltake Purepower 500W $55
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

    G.Skill 4GB DDR2 SDRAM $84
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

    LG DVD Burner $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

    Total $631


    Your hdd is slow, try the Seagate 7200.12 or the Samsung f3. They use single 500gb platters, this allows them to run faster, cooler, and quieter than other hdds.

    Your using ddr2 which is in the process of being discontinued. You should use ddr3 in any new build, as its the same price and it will allow you to upgrade your cpu in the future.

    The GTS 250 is a bit stronger than the 9800+, and its $20 cheaper.

    And I wouldn't trust that psu, look at Antec, Corsair, or OCZ instead.
  3. After taking into account a number of suggestions I have a revised build below.

    Thoughts? I'm sticking to the rosewill case because it's cheap and I've used it a number of times before and never had problems.

    Rosewill ATX Mid Tower $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147010

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2 Ghz $165
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

    Seagate $55
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

    Asus 785G $75 (after combo discount w/ proc)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131406

    Radeon HD 5770 $155
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102864&ref=dynamitedata.com

    Enermax 500W $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194003&ref=dynamitedata.com

    G.Skill 4GB DDR3 SDRAM $96
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

    Monitor $200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

    Liteon $30 Optical
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168271063340
  4. Banli said:
    After taking into account a number of suggestions I have a revised build below.

    Thoughts? I'm sticking to the rosewill case because it's cheap and I've used it a number of times before and never had problems.

    Rosewill ATX Mid Tower $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147010

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2 Ghz $165
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

    Seagate $55
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

    Asus 785G $75 (after combo discount w/ proc)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131406

    Radeon HD 5770 $155
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102864&ref=dynamitedata.com

    Enermax 500W $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194003&ref=dynamitedata.com

    G.Skill 4GB DDR3 SDRAM $96
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

    Monitor $200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

    Liteon $30 Optical
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168271063340


    Everything is fine except the psu, you may want to look at this combo:

    Antec Two Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

    Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.304806
    $80 with combo discount
  5. biggest bang for the buck is either the athlon ii x4 or i5 750 imo, either go nuts on the video card or the cpu
  6. glaex said:
    biggest bang for the buck is either the athlon ii x4 or i5 750 imo, either go nuts on the video card or the cpu


    What are you talking about? The 955 is cheaper than an i5, and it can be used on much cheaper mobos. In gaming the 620 is mediocre, compared to any Phenom II cpu.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product