Issues with my new Radeon HD 6770

Hi ,
Recently my old graphic card died , and i was forced to get a new one.

Since i was low on budget and wasn't able to upgrade the entire computer , i decided to get a decent one , jumping from my old DDR2 , 512mb gpu to a GDDR5 one with 128bits.
The main thing that worried me about that is that , if i put a GDDR5 gpu on a DDR2 motherboard , the gpu would work as a DDR2.

After some time i actually found out that the biggest issue on putting a good GPU on a weaker computer only requires a good PSU and the correct slot on the motherboard.
I have a LC Power 5450 450W super silent PSU , and i was really worried that my PSU will not have enough power for the new GPU and that i would have to buy that too.

I got the card today , plugged it in and installed drivers and everything seemed ok. I wanted to test it a bit , and turned on League of Legends , a game which i actually think doesn't have high system requirements , and during the game i experienced some flashes and some short FPS lag-spikes.

I really don't know what is the cause of this , could it be something PSU related or something else?
I also tried some other games , and somehow i feel i'm not having any improvements from my last GPU..

I would be really grateful for any kind of help , i feel really helpless and don't know what to do.
Thanks in advance...
2 answers Last reply
More about issues radeon 6770
  1. Your PSU appears to have the extra 6pin connector and two 12v rails with 13A and 14A which adds to 27A so I don't think that's the problem.My HD5750 is overclocked and runs just fine on an old Thermaltake 560w with a molex to 6pin adapter.Also League of Legends is a game with a lot of bugs so I wouldn't be surprised if it crashes sometimes.Then if you have an old single-core CPU,the performance boost brought by the new card isn't going to be big.Try reinstalling your gpu drivers.
  2. Well, I would say do a proper Driver Uninstall, Remove anything that deals with the 6770 or the older card, and update the drivers from AMD's website http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx select you card and download (12.7 beta gave me a heck of an fps boost in a few games).

And a GDDR5 card won't downgrade to DDR2 speeds if used on a DDR2 board. I used a HD5850 1gb GDDR5 on a old DDR2 board for years and played all them newer games out there like BF3.

Also the PSU you have, I would try a different PSU, PSU's tend to not put out as much amps/watts after they get so old.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Overclocking