Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Best heatsink/cpu cooler for 3770k

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2012 2:40:10 AM

I don't have plans for any overclocking in the near future, but I would like to keep that an option. What is the best heatsink/cpu cooler for the 3770k? Price is not a problem, I just want the best heatsink possible for the 3770k.

More about : heatsink cpu cooler 3770k

July 3, 2012 1:35:41 PM

The Hyper 212+/evo are very popular and work very well. If you are not going to overclock this would be great for you imo.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 7:14:37 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
The Hyper 212+/evo are very popular and work very well. If you are not going to overclock this would be great for you imo.

I want to keep overclocking an option for the future so I want to buy the best air cooler possible. From what I've read, the Hyper 212 is the best in terms of price, but not preformance.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 7:36:29 PM

*shrugs* to each there own. My Hyper 212+ is easily supporting a 2500k @ 4.6ghz 24/7. If you want to buy something that will not work as well, and pay more money feel free :D 
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 7:40:36 PM

Iamazn said:
I want to keep overclocking an option for the future so I want to buy the best air cooler possible. From what I've read, the Hyper 212 is the best in terms of price, but not preformance.


It depends on how far you want to overclock. Hyper 212 will be good up to OC of around 4.2 or 4.3. Past that you may want to consider liquid cooling.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 7:45:49 PM

moornix said:
It depends on how far you want to overclock. Hyper 212 will be good up to OC of around 4.2 or 4.3. Past that you may want to consider liquid cooling.


I have had it up to 4.8 without heat issues. You could get one of those semi cool closed loop water coolers that people use to think they are using a water cooling system. It would bump you down 3-4c for 4x the price.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 7:53:06 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
I have had it up to 4.8 without heat issues. You could get one of those semi cool closed loop water coolers that people use to think they are using a water cooling system. It would bump you down 3-4c for 4x the price.


A Sandy Bridge CPU may go up to 4.8 without issues on a Hyper 212, but the Ivy Bridge CPUs are slightly different. The 22nm transistors have less surface area to dissipate heat so they heat up very fast once you up the voltage past 1.3V. Unlike the Sandy Bridge CPUs, the Ivy Bridge can't go up as far.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 7:57:30 PM

moornix said:
A Sandy Bridge CPU may go up to 4.8 without issues on a Hyper 212, but the Ivy Bridge CPUs are slightly different. The 22nm transistors have less surface area to dissipate heat so they heat up very fast once you up the voltage past 1.3V. Unlike the Sandy Bridge CPUs, the Ivy Bridge can't go up as far.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...


Thats crappy for IB users...but I do agree with you that if the hyper 212+ doesnt meet your needs then you might as well go with a custom water cooler.

Edit: And that is an i7 processor so it will run significantly hotter than an i5. You could counter act this by disabling hyperthreading I believe.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 9:53:07 PM

moornix said:
It depends on how far you want to overclock. Hyper 212 will be good up to OC of around 4.2 or 4.3. Past that you may want to consider liquid cooling.

DarkOutlaw said:
Thats crappy for IB users...but I do agree with you that if the hyper 212+ doesnt meet your needs then you might as well go with a custom water cooler.

Edit: And that is an i7 processor so it will run significantly hotter than an i5. You could counter act this by disabling hyperthreading I believe.

I have't decided air or liquid yet. For now, I want to keep my options open. If I go liquid cooling, I will be getting the Corsair H100. I'd rather not do custom water loops. If I go air cooling, I have no idea which heatsink to pick. As I said before, I don't care about price, as long as the heatsinks preforms the best.
For the 3770k, how hot might it get if it was overclocked to 4.5GHz?
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 9:58:14 PM

Iamazn said:
I have't decided air or liquid yet. For now, I want to keep my options open. If I go liquid cooling, I will be getting the Corsair H100. I'd rather not do custom water loops. If I go air cooling, I have no idea which heatsink to pick. As I said before, I don't care about price, as long as the heatsinks preforms the best.
For the 3770k, how hot might it get if it was overclocked to 4.5GHz?


I don't know. The OC potential and temp varies for each CPU.
For an alternative to the Hyper 212, the Noctua D14 is more effective, but also more expensive.
Note that a 3770k at 4.5 performs the same as a 2600k at 4.7.

Edit: The article I linked got 88 degrees C at 4.5. It does not state what kind of CPU cooler they used and CPU's sent for review tend to be cooler than the ones you buy at the store.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 10:10:44 PM

moornix said:
I don't know. The OC potential and temp varies for each CPU.
For an alternative to the Hyper 212, the Noctua D14 is more effective, but also more expensive.
Note that a 3770k at 4.5 performs the same as a 2600k at 4.7.

Edit: The article I linked got 88 degrees C at 4.5. It does not state what kind of CPU cooler they used and CPU's sent for review tend to be cooler than the ones you buy at the store.

I've heard great things about the D14 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Anyone know which is the better cooler?
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 10:19:33 PM

Go for Corsair H100, the best... Cheers!!
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 11:02:28 PM

samboy09 said:
Go for Corsair H100, the best... Cheers!!

I don't think the H100 would support push/pull in my case... Will using push/pull have a huge advantage over just push?
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 11:54:03 PM

Iamazn said:
I don't think the H100 would support push/pull in my case... Will using push/pull have a huge advantage over just push?


If you can put H100 in your case, so you can also do push and pull set up. Yeah, because of better airflow to the rad.. BTW, what is your case?
m
0
l
July 11, 2012 12:55:47 AM

YES Corsair H100 !!
m
0
l