Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus P5Q Deluxe EZ Backup - Raid 1

Last response: in Storage
December 4, 2011 11:53:25 AM

I installed two Seagate ST200DL003 in Raid 1 (Windows 7) and it took about 3 days for complete operation (rebuilding + verification). Now I can see 2 green drives in the icon status and Raid 1 is running well.
My question is: If in the future I have to change my hard drive or re-install my system it will be necessary to perform this Raid 1 rebuilding and verifying?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
December 4, 2011 1:48:57 PM

No when reinstalling the OS (unless you break the RAID, but you have no reason to). Yes when replacing a hard disk. Out of curiosity why did you use EZBackup instead of the ICH10R which should be faster?
m
l
December 5, 2011 8:03:03 AM

GhislainG said:
No when reinstalling the OS (unless you break the RAID, but you have no reason to). Yes when replacing a hard disk. Out of curiosity why did you use EZBackup instead of the ICH10R which should be faster?

Thanks for your opinion/advise. I guess Intel ICH10R could be fast than SI 5723 but I always used EZBackUp. Next time I will set up with Intel. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
December 5, 2011 10:43:56 AM

The main benefit of EZBackup is that you don't need drivers.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 5, 2011 2:07:47 PM

You don't necessarily need to wait for the verification (or initialization) before using the drives. This can be done passively in the background by the controller. Some storage units in enterprises can take weeks to run, but you don't have to wait for it.

But to answer your question, no, unless you're rebuilding your raid, OS re-installation shouldn't require you to touch the raid. For future reference though, you should not have to wait for the entire initialization step.
December 5, 2011 4:00:30 PM

Best answer selected by Peter Brazil.
m
l
December 5, 2011 4:02:26 PM

Thanks you all for helping me in this question.
m
l
!