Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Increasing Voltage

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 3, 2012 2:45:01 AM

Hi,
On my Asus P8Z68-V LX I want to increase my voltage to around 1.30V as Im doing an overclock on 4.5ghz. Before I was able to go to manual mode and just type in 1.30V. Now im getting some weird setting and inputs. How am I able to change the voltage to 1.30v? Do I add on to 1.165? So I would just put 0.135 ?

Heres a picture http://i48.tinypic.com/2a5gh0o.jpg
Please help!
Thanks!

More about : increasing voltage

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 3:38:04 AM

There ISN'T a way to use a manual voltage on the LX as far as I'm aware (there isn't on my LE). You have to use the offsets and understand how they work.

This should help explain it for you. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclock...

Offsets work differently than a manual Vcore because as you'll see on the page that I linked, offsets are based on VID, not the ACTUAL core voltage, so it's a bit strange and ends up with offset settings needing to be different with different CPU's (can't use the same settings for two different CPU's). For instance, on my 2500K, a +.020 offset gives me 1.328V, but I can almost guarantee you that it wouldn't be the same for you. You'll get it figured out though.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 3:47:58 AM

Is there any way I can get it back to manual mode ? If not can I contact you through PM to ask more questions :/ 
m
0
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 3:48:06 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
There ISN'T a way to use a manual voltage on the LX as far as I'm aware (there isn't on my LE). You have to use the offsets and understand how they work.

This should help explain it for you. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclock...

Offsets work differently than a manual Vcore because as you'll see on the page that I linked, offsets are based on VID, not the ACTUAL core voltage, so it's a bit strange and ends up with offset settings needing to be different with different CPU's (can't use the same settings for two different CPU's). For instance, on my 2500K, a +.020 offset gives me 1.328V, but I can almost guarantee you that it wouldn't be the same for you. You'll get it figured out though.


Is there any way I can get it back to manual mode ? If not can I contact you through PM to ask more questions
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 3:58:03 AM

Syassawi said:
Is there any way I can get it back to manual mode ? If not can I contact you through PM to ask more questions


No, there's no manual mode available for the LX BIOS (shouldn't have ever been, as far as I know). That's the main problem with the LX and LE is the reduced OC capabilities in the BIOS.

You can ask me anything you need right here, but I can't really explain it any more or any better than I did in my reply above and how the page I linked describes it. It's really just a trial and error kinda thing. You'll probably get it wrong more than you do right, but you'll hit on it eventually, once you figure out what your CPU needs.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 4:03:41 AM

So basically my CPU im going to put to 4.5ghz . Im going to put the offset as +. So meaning it shows at 1.165v. To get to 1.30 I would need 1.30-1.165= 0.135V. So i would put 0.135?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 4:05:30 AM

No. 0.135 should be WAY too much. Try closer to .010. Think VERY small. Like I said, it doesn't work like you'd think.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 4:09:01 AM

So i would change the multiplier to 45. Keep everything the same and just change the cpu voltage to 0.10 ? And add in small increments if it fails on the stress test ?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 4:13:02 AM

Syassawi said:
So i would change the multiplier to 45. Keep everything the same and just change the cpu voltage to 0.10 ? And add in small increments if it fails on the stress test ?


45 multi and .010. That extra 0 is important. VERY small. 10mv... You might need more, you might need less, but that's the trial and error part.

Also, you won't ever see 1.30V in the BIOS. It'll only be able to be seen in Windows. AND 1.30V might be too low for 4.5 on your chip anyway (it is for mine), so you'd just BSOD before Windows even loads in that case, but the BIOS would still say the voltage was >1.2.

Absolutely screwed, I know. But I promise you, you'll get it figured out.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 4:15:28 AM

Let say I get BSOD, The CPU Voltage, what increments would I go up by? 0.010 , 0.015, 0.020. ????
Thanks for the help :) 
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 4:17:31 AM

Syassawi said:
Let say I get BSOD, The CPU Voltage, what increments would I go up by? 0.010 , 0.015, 0.020. ????


Yep. And you're welcome. :)  I know how it is to try to get offsets figured out and how frustrating it seems because they don't seem to make sense.
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 4:29:02 AM

One more thing I suppose I should mention is that with LLC disabled (or on Auto, most likely) the voltage wil drop at 100% load. Just something to be aware of.

My 2500K needs 1.328V to be stable for normal use (browsing the web, etc. Any lower and it BSOD's), but it drops to 1.277V at 100% load with LLC on Auto, which is still totally stable for reasons I don't understand.

Whatever, I don't need to understand it as long as it works, and it runs cooler at that voltage anyway, so I don't complain.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 3:30:24 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
One more thing I suppose I should mention is that with LLC disabled (or on Auto, most likely) the voltage wil drop at 100% load. Just something to be aware of.

My 2500K needs 1.328V to be stable for normal use (browsing the web, etc. Any lower and it BSOD's), but it drops to 1.277V at 100% load with LLC on Auto, which is still totally stable for reasons I don't understand.

Whatever, I don't need to understand it as long as it works, and it runs cooler at that voltage anyway, so I don't complain.


So you sujest to put llc on auto ? Also do I put the offset mode to + or -
Thanks
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 3, 2012 3:37:43 PM

You can try all 3 settings for LLC if you want, but I found that Enabled causes WAY too much Vcore fo my chip. And you'll probably need a + offset, but you may be lucky and can get away with a - offset.
m
0
l
!