Sims2 - Help please.

Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2005 12:40:46 AM

I've tried e-mailing Ea a couple times with an issue that I am having. I
even sent them that silly report that tells them all my drivers and what
not, and still nothing. Must be their give a damn is busted this week
too.... LOL

My issue is this: Everytime I try to save a game, my system performs what I
would call a warm boot. It's like someone comes along and hits my reset
button. I have no 3rd party objects installed, I have all drivers up to
date.

AMD Sempron 3000+
512 DDR RAM
160 GB drive space with over 130G free
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 MP3+
Asus/ATI Radeon 9200SE
Windows XP With SP2

I've tried installing/reinstalling with the same end result. Any ideas or
helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pend from LIU

More about : sims2

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:40:47 AM

You say you have no 3rd party objects, but have you gotten any hacks or do
you have a usercheat file in there somewhere?

"Arthur Pendragon" <pendragon@livin-it-up.net> wrote in message
> I've tried e-mailing Ea a couple times with an issue that I am having. I
> even sent them that silly report that tells them all my drivers and what
> not, and still nothing. Must be their give a damn is busted this week
> too.... LOL
>
> My issue is this: Everytime I try to save a game, my system performs what
> would call a warm boot. It's like someone comes along and hits my reset
> button. I have no 3rd party objects installed, I have all drivers up to
> date.
>
> AMD Sempron 3000+
> 512 DDR RAM
> 160 GB drive space with over 130G free
> Sound Blaster Live 5.1 MP3+
> Asus/ATI Radeon 9200SE
> Windows XP With SP2
>
> I've tried installing/reinstalling with the same end result. Any ideas or
> helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pend from LIU

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:40:47 AM

I am sure that the first thing you will be told is to make sure that your
Video card drivers are up to date, and you have directx 9 installed.

There is a suggestion that you use the Omega Drivers for Radeon cards this
has fixed this problem before.
http://www.omegadrivers.net

--
Archiver

http://www.sims2archive.com

"Arthur Pendragon" <pendragon@livin-it-up.net> wrote in message
> I've tried e-mailing Ea a couple times with an issue that I am having. I
> even sent them that silly report that tells them all my drivers and what
> not, and still nothing. Must be their give a damn is busted this week
> too.... LOL
>
> My issue is this: Everytime I try to save a game, my system performs what
> I would call a warm boot. It's like someone comes along and hits my reset
> button. I have no 3rd party objects installed, I have all drivers up to
> date.
>
> AMD Sempron 3000+
> 512 DDR RAM
> 160 GB drive space with over 130G free
> Sound Blaster Live 5.1 MP3+
> Asus/ATI Radeon 9200SE
> Windows XP With SP2
>
> I've tried installing/reinstalling with the same end result. Any ideas or
> helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pend from LIU

March 10, 2005 2:25:19 AM

:)
That sounds like when I used to use hercules drivers for my riva tnt2 card.
The hercules drivers actually worked better than the drivers meant for the
card.

"Sims2 Archive" <nospam@sims2archive.com> wrote in message
> I am sure that the first thing you will be told is to make sure that your
> Video card drivers are up to date, and you have directx 9 installed.
>
> There is a suggestion that you use the Omega Drivers for Radeon cards this
> has fixed this problem before.
> http://www.omegadrivers.net
>
> --
> Archiver
>
> http://www.sims2archive.com
>

> "Arthur Pendragon" <pendragon@livin-it-up.net> wrote in message
> > I've tried e-mailing Ea a couple times with an issue that I am having. I
> > even sent them that silly report that tells them all my drivers and what
> > not, and still nothing. Must be their give a damn is busted this week
> > too.... LOL
> >
> > My issue is this: Everytime I try to save a game, my system performs
what
> > I would call a warm boot. It's like someone comes along and hits my
reset
> > button. I have no 3rd party objects installed, I have all drivers up to
> > date.
> >
> > AMD Sempron 3000+
> > 512 DDR RAM
> > 160 GB drive space with over 130G free
> > Sound Blaster Live 5.1 MP3+
> > Asus/ATI Radeon 9200SE
> > Windows XP With SP2
> >
> > I've tried installing/reinstalling with the same end result. Any ideas
or
> > helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pend from LIU

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:07:54 AM

> You say you have no 3rd party objects, but have you gotten any hacks or do
> you have a usercheat file in there somewhere?

No, I've just got the basic install, and I have yet to really get too much
into the modifying or cheating, other than like kaching, or motherlode. I've
had issues with TS2 really since I first got it.

When I first tried to play it, I got the neighbourhood screen to load, then
I would click on a house, and still see the load screen for the house, with
the red border that you have when the game is in pause. Then one day it just
cleared itself up. I was hoping that the magical TS2 gnomes would do the
same thing for my reboot issue.

Alas, I think that they are on vacation this week. I am contemplating on
getting TS2: University just to see if this will solve the problem.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:07:55 AM

I just know that some houses come 'packaged' with hacks that you might not
know you have.

> > You say you have no 3rd party objects, but have you gotten any hacks or
do
> > you have a usercheat file in there somewhere?
> >

> No, I've just got the basic install, and I have yet to really get too much
> into the modifying or cheating, other than like kaching, or motherlode.
I've
> had issues with TS2 really since I first got it.
>
> When I first tried to play it, I got the neighbourhood screen to load,
then
> I would click on a house, and still see the load screen for the house,
with
> the red border that you have when the game is in pause. Then one day it
just
> cleared itself up. I was hoping that the magical TS2 gnomes would do the
> same thing for my reboot issue.
>
> Alas, I think that they are on vacation this week. I am contemplating on
> getting TS2: University just to see if this will solve the problem.

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:47:51 AM

>I just know that some houses come 'packaged' with hacks that you might not
> know you have.

So when you package a house, everything goes with the house? That is really
cool. That makes your shopping list much easier. LOL.

However, no. I have nothing but the basics at this point. :-/ And it looks
like I am going to have to get a calling card and call EA. I've tried
mailing a couple different e-mail addresses techsupport and
techincal_support and I've not heard anything back from them, let alone get
a failure to deliver message.

I'll give it some more thought before I go out and get university. There is
no point in buying an EP when you can't even get the base game to load
properly.

Pend
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:26:24 PM

"Sims2 Archive" <nospam@sims2archive.com> wrote in message
>I am sure that the first thing you will be told is to make sure that your
>Video card drivers are up to date, and you have directx 9 installed.
>
> There is a suggestion that you use the Omega Drivers for Radeon cards this
> has fixed this problem before.
> http://www.omegadrivers.net
>
> --
> Archiver
>
> http://www.sims2archive.com

Thanks for the link. I shall see what happens. :-)

Pend
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:54:18 PM

"Sims2 Archive" <nospam@sims2archive.com> wrote in message
>I am sure that the first thing you will be told is to make sure that your
>Video card drivers are up to date, and you have directx 9 installed.
>
> There is a suggestion that you use the Omega Drivers for Radeon cards this
> has fixed this problem before.
> http://www.omegadrivers.net
>
> --
> Archiver
>
> http://www.sims2archive.com

Well that didn't go so well. I tried to start the game and I got the no
video driver installed. :-/

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. :-) Thanks for the offer.

Pend
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:33:21 PM

No video driver installed? I've seen this at work - thinking, thinking,
thinking. . .

No, it wasn't work - it was Granny. Her computer said no video card driver
(or was it just no video card) found - you'd have to check with her for
certain.

She upgraded from an NVIDIA to a Radeon and ended up with system problems.
It's a bit more extrema than your description but her solve was a BIOS
upgrade and then the latest drivers.

I didn't see the first post, so I'm kinda stabbing in the dark here, but I
hope I have been some help.

MM

> "Sims2 Archive" <nospam@sims2archive.com> wrote in message
> >I am sure that the first thing you will be told is to make sure that your
> >Video card drivers are up to date, and you have directx 9 installed.
> >
> > There is a suggestion that you use the Omega Drivers for Radeon cards
this
> > has fixed this problem before.
> > http://www.omegadrivers.net
> >
> > --
> > Archiver
> >
> > http://www.sims2archive.com
>

> Well that didn't go so well. I tried to start the game and I got the no
> video driver installed. :-/
>
> Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. :-) Thanks for the offer.
>
> Pend

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:02:43 PM

When Windows SP does a sudden warm boot,it's usually because of a system error. There's a setting
that makes it do that in your System applet that you should uncheck so that you can at least get an
error message,which would help diagnose the problem.

Go into your Control Panel and select the System applet. Then go to the Advanced tab and Click on
the button under "Start up and Recovery".

When the box opens, look for the section marked "System Failure" and *uncheck* the box for
"Automatically Restart".

Then,instead of rebooting when the error hits,it should give you an error message,write down
everything it says and send it to EA tech support or post it here,maybe someone will be able to
recognise the error.

I'd recommend running The Sims2 in windowed mode so you'll have easier access to whatever error
dialog pops up and it may even help,windowed mode uses less resources and I've heard that some
people have to run in it or The Sims2 won't run at all,don't know why though.

To run in windowed mode, just right-click on the games icon and type -w in the target box after
the path,for example,I have

"C:\The Sims 2\TSBin\Sims2.exe" -w

in the target on my icon. If you have the game installed in a different directory folder,the target
path will look different of course.

One last thing that just popped into my head....check and make sure your saved games and their
folders aren't set to "Read Only" status or passworded in some fashion,the game will crash on Save
if it can't write to the files. You can check this by right-clicking on the file and/or folder(s) to
bring up the Properties box. I believe that would be in your My Documents folder under EA Games.

Good luck and HTH...

Shannahara

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:40:46 GMT, "Arthur Pendragon" <pendragon@livin-it-up.net> typed out:

> I've tried e-mailing Ea a couple times with an issue that I am having. I
> even sent them that silly report that tells them all my drivers and what
> not, and still nothing. Must be their give a damn is busted this week
> too.... LOL
>
> My issue is this: Everytime I try to save a game, my system performs what I
> would call a warm boot. It's like someone comes along and hits my reset
> button. I have no 3rd party objects installed, I have all drivers up to
> date.
>
> AMD Sempron 3000+
> 512 DDR RAM
> 160 GB drive space with over 130G free
> Sound Blaster Live 5.1 MP3+
> Asus/ATI Radeon 9200SE
> Windows XP With SP2
>
> I've tried installing/reinstalling with the same end result. Any ideas or
> helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pend from LIU

----
It's just the wind....
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:16:23 AM

"whisperingkeyboard@SIMS2.yahoo.com" <Shannahara Taru> wrote in message

> May also be an issue with the Windows SP2 update and a driver,such as a
> video card not being SP2
> ready,most cards need an update to be able to work with SP2.
>
> Also,there is a known issue with this error message in SP1 with regards to
> some makes of cards,it
> wasn't addressed in the SP2 pack as far as I know.
> Try reinstalling your video driver but removing the old ones entirely
> first,people are rarely told
> that they must deinstall drivers before upgrades to ensure the new drivers
> install completely.
>
> Here's a support page dealing with the error message with regards to SP1
> (which is included in the
> SP2 pack)....
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329293
>
> Just a though...I remember reading that some people need to disable
> hyperthreading in their BIOS in
> order to resolves some problems,the ones listed in the games readme.txt
> file don't apply to your
> specific problem but it may still be an issue nonetheless,just thought I
> should mention it.
>
> Good luck,
> Shannahara

I tried it all, and I still have the same issues. :-(

I did however go out and buy University. And I am currently installing it,
so we will see if that makes any difference. Thanks so far for all the help.
:-)

Pend
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:01:14 AM

Buying University did nothing to help my problem either.

I am really getting depressed about this.

Pend
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:06:46 PM

Arthur Pendragon wrote:
> Buying University did nothing to help my problem either.
>

> I am really getting depressed about this.
>
> Pend

I have now tried a fdisk, format and clean install of windows XP. I'll
install Sims2 and University before any windows updates and see what happens
next.

Pend
!