High temperature on q9550 after changing thermal compound

super1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hi

My pc was full of dust and the thermal compound was very old and the cpu temperature was little high,
So I cleaned my pc then I changed the thermal compound ( it was my first time to remove the heatsink and changing the thermal compound ) anyway before I changed the thermal compound I watched a lot of how to videos.
Then I cleaned the pc and changed the thermal compound I put on the side a 120mm fan and down the case a smaller fan
So now I have clean pc, new thermal compound and more fans, but unfortunately the cpu temperature didn't get lower it became higher on idle and load which is really strange, I changed the thermal compound four times three time I put a small dot of thermal compound in the middle and the last time I put it vertically or horizontally I don't remember.
here is a pic after playing for about 10-15min

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6353/newerrx.jpg

I know the thermal compound I have is not very good but it's the same one I had on my cpu for few years so it should not be the problem, I have a standard heatsink and my cpu is not overclocked
my case is cooler master haf 922

Thanks

super1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

super1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I think you are right because it was very hard to put heat sink well and I was going to remove the motherboard to seat it properly but I didn't because it's a hard job :D
anyway I think I'll do that

Thanks

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012

Swifty's got the right idea. The thermal compound itself will have a negligible effect the temps but almost always when they go up after removing the cooler its because it wasn't seated properly back down.

Push hard. You should feel a slight snap or click.

xtreme5

Distinguished

+1. :sarcastic:

super1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I think the 4 pin is not working well because I hear click from 2 pin and not from the other 2 I push very hard but still I can't hear any click so the only way is not remove the motherboard I hope I don't break anything when I remove the motherboard :D

thanks

super1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I removed the motherboard and the heat sink was seat properly, I really thought this was the problem :( anyway I removed again the paste and I put new one and I put the heat sink and it was seat properly but unfortunately again the temperature was high, so what is the problem ??? xD