PC Stopped Working

dmoblay

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hi,

My PC suddenyl shut dpwn the other day whilst I was using it. I left it for a few mins thinking that maybe the CPU had overheated.

I turned it back on and it powered up and started to run the POST, but then died again.

I then left it for a few hours and tried again, this time the LED's lit very quickly but then went out, nothing powered up.

I have just replaced the PSU today, but the same problem exists.

Any ideas what the problem might be or how I can test for a problem?

Thanks
Luke

dmoblay

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hi,

I have got 2 x 2gb ram sticks, tried both of them on their own in each of the 2 slots, and both, both ways around at the same time.

Unfortunately, still the same problem.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Could be one of many things. Check the obvious first like making sure everything is seated and inserted correctly. Have you tried whipping your graphics card out and switching to onboard graphics? Just to eliminate the possibility.

dmoblay

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Removed the graphics card but still the same problem. All cables are plugged in correctly, the only other pluggin is the RAM, so the problem must be either the RAM or the MB.

I have tried both the RAM sticks on their own with no joy, and I am guessing I would have to be pretty unlucky for both of them to blow.

Which only leaves the MB, but the pc is surge protected, and is only 11 months old so I don't know what would have caused it to go wrong.

Can anyone else suggest any other tests/diagnosis/fix?

Thanks
Luke

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Is it an OEM build or one you built yourself? If it's only 11 months old then most if not all of the parts should be under warranty still.

It does sound like a motherboard fault. Like you said you would be very unlucky for both RAM sticks to go at once. Still, if you are able to boot to a CD try running MemTest86 on your memory.

dmoblay

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
It is an OEM, the parts are covered by warranty for 12 months (apparantly) - but unfortunately I got them (new) from a seller on ebay, who is choosing to ignore my emails!!

Unfortunately I can't boot it at all, when I press the power button nothing happens at all, nothing starts up, the front usb hub glows blue for a split second but then dies again.

So power is getting to the USB ports on the front of the case, but unfortunately I can't tell if it is getting anywhere else, and if not why not.

But I have just installed a new PSU. Which points towards the MB again. Not good news I guess.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Sounds very much like a motherboard to me. I'm not sure if anyone else has any other suggestions? I can't really see it being anything else though.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but if they were covered by warranty, you may have just voided that by installing a new PSU :(

dmoblay

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Guess I just need to buy a new MB, I doubt I am going to hear anything back from the ebay seller.

Please can someone help me pick a good board. The system is running a -

AMD 6000+ x2
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800Mhz
Saphire HD4850 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E graphics card
650W PSU

The MB was a MSI K9N6PGM2-V Motherboard, is that a wise choice to go for again or can anyone else suggest something better?

The system is being used to run Microsoft FSX.

Thanks
Luke

sonny1033

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Turn a complant to E-Bay and see if you can get them to contact the seller for you. Let them know you have tried.