Underclocking the cpu

orija7

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
For unlocking the other two cores on my AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE, this steps were mentioned:-

"HT link @ 1.6GHz
ACC @ all cores
Value(all cores) @ -2%"

How do I underclock my cpu by -2% from the BIOS settings page?

My motherboard is a Biostar TA785GE 128m

Thanks for reading

allenmelon

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
i have a similar request. i would like to underclock my i7-920 temporarily to play some games without overheating since my hsf is supposedly defective, so im waiting for my cooler to arrive. while waiting, could i underclock my i7-920 with asus p6t motherboard to lower cpu temps?

No need to. Cool and quiet will lower the voltage setting for most applications. Gaming will stress your cpu no matter what settings you use. Limit your gaming time to maybe 30 minutes at a time until the heatsink arrives, or monitor your cpu temperature with coretemp. Your cpu won't suffer any long term damage up to about 70c for short periods of time.

allenmelon

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
well, i guess that means i shouldn't even play games, since my cpu goes to 80s and on intense games, to 90s! my idle temsp are 50s... so i guess i should just wait.

EDIT: i just vacuumed my pc, and it runs cooler now, but still high, about 5-10 degrees lower. idle is in 40s now.