Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig Advice Needed!

Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2009 5:35:34 AM

guysm i'm going to build myself a new gaming rig. this is the rig i'm going in for:

asus rampage 2 extreme motherboard
corsair dominator gt ram 6GB DDR3
intel i7core extreme edition 965 3.33ghz
creative 7.1 x-fi titanium sound card
D-Link/US Robotics Lan card
cooler master haf-932(rc-932) chassis
cooler master real power pro 1250W (RS-C50-EMBA-D2)
2 samsung dvd writers
western digital 1TB Raptor HDD
cooler master intel cpu cooler v10 (RR-B2P-UV10-GP)
Del 24 inch Full HD LCD
XFX nVidia GTX295
Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

please advise.
a b 4 Gaming
December 24, 2009 11:28:29 AM

Budget? Refer to the link in my signature for some much need info that helps us give advice.

First off, that motherboard doesn't support i7. You're looking for LGA1366 sockets. Here's an expensive board, but it supports USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB/s: ASUS P6X58D Premium for $300. This is where the budget would be helpful.

Here's some excellent RAM that's sure to be cheaper and faster: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB 1600 MHz CAS Latency 7 for $ 165.

The i7-965 is a waste of money. Get the i7-920 and overclock it.

You don't need a sound card unless you're an audiophile. Even then, you shouldn't buy one.

You don't need a 1250W PSU. At most, an 850W will power anything you give it.

Raptors are really crappy right. They're slower than 500 GB platter drives and 3 times as expensive. I highly recommend getting the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB for $85, and if absolutely necessary, a small SSD for the OS/apps.

If you're going to drop $125 on a air CPU cooler, you might as well go with liquid cooling. It's a little more expensive, but will be cooler and quieter.

Ditch the nVidia card. They're getting the crap beat out of them by ATI's new 5xxx series cards. Seeing as you're budget's insane, get the 5970 for $600+. It's the best card out there right now.

Why Vista when you can have Windows 7?

December 25, 2009 3:05:05 AM

hey there,
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme is a LGA1366 socket mobo..i checked. it also comes with a Intel X58 Chipset. it does support i7 core. but i'll check Asus P6X58D Premium too.

MadAdmiral said:
Budget? Refer to the link in my signature for some much need info that helps us give advice.

First off, that motherboard doesn't support i7. You're looking for LGA1366 sockets. Here's an expensive board, but it supports USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB/s: ASUS P6X58D Premium for $300. This is where the budget would be helpful.

Here's some excellent RAM that's sure to be cheaper and faster: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB 1600 MHz CAS Latency 7 for $ 165.

The i7-965 is a waste of money. Get the i7-920 and overclock it.

You don't need a sound card unless you're an audiophile. Even then, you shouldn't buy one.

You don't need a 1250W PSU. At most, an 850W will power anything you give it.

Raptors are really crappy right. They're slower than 500 GB platter drives and 3 times as expensive. I highly recommend getting the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB for $85, and if absolutely necessary, a small SSD for the OS/apps.

If you're going to drop $125 on a air CPU cooler, you might as well go with liquid cooling. It's a little more expensive, but will be cooler and quieter.

Ditch the nVidia card. They're getting the crap beat out of them by ATI's new 5xxx series cards. Seeing as you're budget's insane, get the 5970 for $600+. It's the best card out there right now.

Why Vista when you can have Windows 7?

!