Sign in with
Your question

Replaced pcb on seagate hard drive now not detected

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 4, 2011 3:00:33 PM

I need help. I have replaced my external hard drive pcb with a new one with same specs down to FW and date after smoke started coming from the drive and it stopped spinning. I also replaced the enclosure as the usb from the old one was damaged. The hd spins up and runs smoothly. When first connected to my laptop that was already booted up, the device was detected and drivers were installed successfully but only the usb controller is installed. The hd showed an error code 10 on the device manager. The drive is not recognized anywhere else. If I try to boot my laptop with the drive connected, it hangs with a blank screen and a frozen cursor until I disconnect and then the system boots.

My thoughts are that perhaps the usb (1.0) firewire cable is under powered as the new enclosure only has hi-speed usb 2.0 and the cable is from my old enclosure because my laptop does not have a usb 2.0 port. Could this be the cause for the code 10 error? Or does my hd need to also have the logic chip swapped?

More about : replaced pcb seagate hard drive detected

a c 330 G Storage
December 9, 2011 11:50:17 PM

More details please.

What is the model number of the hard drive?

Could we see a photo of the damaged PCB?

Did you overvolt the drive with the wrong adapter?

Sometimes there is an easy, zero-cost DIY fix.

BTW, in general you cannot just swap boards on modern HDDs. This is because each drive has unique information stored in a flash memory IC. This chip, or its contents, needs to be transferred to the donor PCB.
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:29:55 PM

I resolved my problem by desoldering the 12v tvs diode from my old pcb rather than deal with transferring the logic chip. I am overly ecstatic that I was able to get the drive working and get all of my data transferred. I have learned some big lessons in all of this and appreciate your help and all of the postings that helped me have the confidence to do this myself rather than pay more than I could afford to a data recovery service. Of course, I was so desperate I may have resorted to paying the $$.

The damage occurred from the original power adaptor, it fried my usb interface in the enclosure and under magnification, I saw that the diode was burned as well. I considered moving the diode from the new pcb but I just don't trust the old board to have any other issues. It was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 gb drive (ST3320620A).
m
l
Related resources
!