Can consistently high fan rpm cause fan damage?

hellsguardian12

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hi, so here's the thing - I have a phenom x4 965 with a stock cooler. During the summer it is very how where i live and the cpu fan goes to 5000 and above rpm under heavy load. Is this in some way bad for the fan? Will it make it break sooner if it works like that for many hours a day? Temps seem ok (about 55C at most on the cpu under load, 35-40 idle) but the fan is obviously very loud.
Thanks for any help or info!

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
It could potentially cause the fan to fail before it usually would but I wouldn't expect it to. Usually in my experience fans either fail very early or not at all.
Are you able to find a model name/number for the fan to see if it is rated for that rpm level?

hellsguardian12

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Cheers for the quick response :)
This is the fan's number or model name: AV-Z7UH40Q001-1709
I can't find any information about how high it is rated

If it's running like crazy and it's because your system needs it, you have two options ......

1. Choke the fan down to get less wear and tear on the fan, and more wear and tear on your CPU.

2. Let the fan do it's job and replace it when / if it fails.

It's $9 part.

skaz

Distinguished

Is that the amd stock fan? 5K is ridiculously high. =).

I'd say take a little money and put it towards a new heatsink and fan. Don't want to spend a lot the CM 212 or even the corsair CAFA50 would be a good choice. Corsair has a mail in rebate right now bringing it down to $15. ($10 if you subscribe to newsletters)

If you want to spend a little more you have lots of good options, noctua, thermalright, and prolimatech make solid heatsinks.

Good luck mate.