Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X4 955 BE OC problem

Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2012 1:18:56 PM

Hi,

Lately I've made a topic in the graphics cards section because I had some games crashing on me and I thought it was due to my graphics card failing. As it turned out they've been crashing because of my CPU's OC. With the CPU @ 3,8 Ghz and 1,375 v (if I remember correctly this is 0,25 v below stock voltage) I've ran Prime 95 and some really demanding games without any problems whatsoever. I also didn't get any BSOD's. However, when I tried Mafia II it crashed instantly, in about 5 seconds. I got some graphical glitches and an error. When I was back to desktop Firefox didn't work and displayed some weird sh*t. I've got a similar problem with TDU2 and Assassin's Creed Revelations save for the fact that it took TDU2 and ACR quite a bit longer to crash. The problem was exclusive to these three games, everything else ran perfectly fine. I decided to downclock the CPU to stock clocks and when I tested Mafia II and TDU2 neither one crashed.

I wanted to ask you for some tips on how to maintain a fully stable OC and maybe for some suggestions why this happens only in these games? It's quite weird. Below are my current specs:

Gigabyte GA-880-D2H

Phenom II X4 955 with Thermalright Macho HR-02

Msi Radeon 7850 TFIII

OCZ StealthXstream II 500W PSU

I'm now running the CPU at stock and I'd like to overclock it again but with full stability. I thought that maybe I should try to get it to 3,8 Ghz on stock volts instead of lowering the voltage. However, the ambient temps are freaking me out - it's 39 C out here today! The CPU hit 57 C on stock clocks and voltage yesterday in TDU2...;/ It's a lot hotter here than it is normally, usually it's about 24-30 during summer. Yes, I know that I have a somewhat shi*ty Mobo and the PSU is not a powerhouse either but maybe it's possible to do some reasonable OC...

Thanks in advance

More about : phenom 955 problem

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2012 1:56:39 PM

Hi there,

Well Your PSU is enough for your set up. And also that cooler is also good for overclocking. You shouldnt have lowered the Vcore from the stock if you wanted to overclock, of course when the CPU is in heavy load it need needs a bump of energy to handle a higher clock.

BTW the stock Voltage is about 1.325 o 1.35... It shouldnt hit 1.4v on CPU-ID.

I gotta a problem with my Ram I tried to set it up 1600mhz CL9 1.5v and THAT was giving me troubles, I set them at 1333mhz CL8 and im rock solid with my processor at 3.8ghz non black edition with 1.38v.

Its kinda good to set your HT Link at about 2Ghz and your NB frecuency abouit the same as your processor speed, normaly at X10 multiplier.

Setting about 1.25v in the NB is enough as it comes with 1.20v stock.

For cooling, well I live also in a warm place, temperatures hitting about 60~ C for thermal sensation and taking up 38-40C as hot.

Id suggest remplace your thermal compound, re instal your heatsink and add fans to your case. Cable management also helps.

Every chip is diferent, those are general recomendation but you should as far as your likes and your meta speed clock. If you want to hit 3.8ghz keep in mind that anything more than 1.4v is usless and just gives more heat.

July 3, 2012 3:29:31 PM

horaciopz said:
Hi there,

Well Your PSU is enough for your set up. And also that cooler is also good for overclocking. You shouldnt have lowered the Vcore from the stock if you wanted to overclock, of course when the CPU is in heavy load it need needs a bump of energy to handle a higher clock.

BTW the stock Voltage is about 1.325 o 1.35... It shouldnt hit 1.4v on CPU-ID.

I gotta a problem with my Ram I tried to set it up 1600mhz CL9 1.5v and THAT was giving me troubles, I set them at 1333mhz CL8 and im rock solid with my processor at 3.8ghz non black edition with 1.38v.

Its kinda good to set your HT Link at about 2Ghz and your NB frecuency abouit the same as your processor speed, normaly at X10 multiplier.

Setting about 1.25v in the NB is enough as it comes with 1.20v stock.

For cooling, well I live also in a warm place, temperatures hitting about 60~ C for thermal sensation and taking up 38-40C as hot.

Id suggest remplace your thermal compound, re instal your heatsink and add fans to your case. Cable management also helps.

Every chip is diferent, those are general recomendation but you should as far as your likes and your meta speed clock. If you want to hit 3.8ghz keep in mind that anything more than 1.4v is usless and just gives more heat.

Hi,

Bios shows the stock voltage of the CPU as 1,4 V, when I lower it the closest lower value is 1,375 which I used so I'm kinda confused now. When it wasn't as hot as today, I had 49-51 C in Prime 95 overclocked. Today I hit an apocalyptic 57-59 C with 40 C ambient temps... I feel something's not quite right but I have this rig for about 1 month and I think that the thermal paste was applied properly. My case is Thermaltake Armor A90 with 3 fans, the airflow should be pretty good... I know that the C2 revisions of X4 had stock volts @ 1.4 but mine is a C3. Is it possible that BIOS displays incorrect voltage info? I've OC'd the CPU today to 3,8 Ghz with NB freq on stock (2000 Mhz which is a multiplier x 10 I believe, HT Link at 2 ghz) but this time leaving the voltage on stock. The idle temps are virtually unchanged, I'll test it with Prime95 and if it gets too dangerous I'll close it.

It seems all too weird that I ran Skyrim, Crysis 2 DX11 etc. on my previous OC settings without any stability issues and suddenly 3 games are giving me so much trouble (especially Mafia II)...
Related resources
July 3, 2012 4:08:04 PM

Hawarimi said:
Hi,

Bios shows the stock voltage of the CPU as 1,4 V, when I lower it the closest lower value is 1,375 which I used so I'm kinda confused now. When it wasn't as hot as today, I had 49-51 C in Prime 95 overclocked. Today I hit an apocalyptic 57-59 C with 40 C ambient temps... I feel something's not quite right but I have this rig for about 1 month and I think that the thermal paste was applied properly. My case is Thermaltake Armor A90 with 3 fans, the airflow should be pretty good... I know that the C2 revisions of X4 had stock volts @ 1.4 but mine is a C3. Is it possible that BIOS displays incorrect voltage info? I've OC'd the CPU today to 3,8 Ghz with NB freq on stock (2000 Mhz which is a multiplier x 10 I believe, HT Link at 2 ghz) but this time leaving the voltage on stock. The idle temps are virtually unchanged, I'll test it with Prime95 and if it gets too dangerous I'll close it.

It seems all too weird that I ran Skyrim, Crysis 2 DX11 etc. on my previous OC settings without any stability issues and suddenly 3 games are giving me so much trouble (especially Mafia II)...

I have almost the exact same setup and problems you are having, it's kinda weird. I have the same CPU (BTW C3 steppings, which we both have, have a stock Vcore of 1.4V, rather than 1.35V or something for C2s), and I can only get to 3.8 GHz in GAMES as well, but in Prime 95 I can get 3.9 GHz stable with 1.4V. I don't think you need to reapply thermal paste, those are good temps (I have 3.9 GHz @ 1.4V running at 55C max in prime). Ambient temps play a huge role in CPU temps. You wouldn't think so, but in my experience they go hand in hand. The odd thing is, no matter how stable my rig is in prime, I HAVE to lower the clock to 3.8 GHz (and lower Vcore to 1.375V if I want) to run my games without crashing about 10 minutes in or so (BF3, MW3, Crysis 2). The only other OC setup I've run that gives me similar freezes or BSODs was when I set my clock to 3.6 GHz or so with the CPU multiplier and bumped up the FSB to 206MHz ish. I don't understand it either, how can it be rock solid in prime and not in the real world, where load isn't at 100% all the time anyway?
July 3, 2012 5:25:18 PM

Augray37 said:
I have almost the exact same setup and problems you are having, it's kinda weird. I have the same CPU (BTW C3 steppings, which we both have, have a stock Vcore of 1.4V, rather than 1.35V or something for C2s), and I can only get to 3.8 GHz in GAMES as well, but in Prime 95 I can get 3.9 GHz stable with 1.4V. I don't think you need to reapply thermal paste, those are good temps (I have 3.9 GHz @ 1.4V running at 55C max in prime). Ambient temps play a huge role in CPU temps. You wouldn't think so, but in my experience they go hand in hand. The odd thing is, no matter how stable my rig is in prime, I HAVE to lower the clock to 3.8 GHz (and lower Vcore to 1.375V if I want) to run my games without crashing about 10 minutes in or so (BF3, MW3, Crysis 2). The only other OC setup I've run that gives me similar freezes or BSODs was when I set my clock to 3.6 GHz or so with the CPU multiplier and bumped up the FSB to 206MHz ish. I don't understand it either, how can it be rock solid in prime and not in the real world, where load isn't at 100% all the time anyway?

Hi,

That's some interesting info:)  Well, I don't get it either, it was fully stable in Crysis 2, Skyrim, Batman AC, Dirt 3, Metro 2033 and some others (all of this running 3,8 Ghz, NB @ 2200 and voltage lowered to 1,375v) but Mafia II would instantly crash;/ ACR crashed from time to time just like TDU 2 (it was more frequent in TDU though)... Only these 3 games, I don't get it;p And my OC temps when there are no desert-like temperatures like today are usually about 30-33 C idle and 49-53 at full load in Prime:p  It's very hot today and I'm running the OC on stock voltage so it varied between 55-57 in Prime, earlier in the day I got 58-59;p

I'll try Mafia II now to see if the increase in voltage prevents it from crashing;p
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2012 6:06:26 PM

If the problem is with games and no unstability... you should start looking for patches or fixes for those games... maybe reinstal or repair your games. I had a problem with Bf3 when got patched and it started crash every single round. When i repaired the isntalation the problem was fixed.

What about your rams? those could have a major issue in stability.

Phenom II's chips tends to start inastability with 55C some chips can even get over 70ish with no problems (C3)

Actually its all about luck, some chips work great and can get 4.2Ghz with 1.45v some just cant go over 3.6ghz with stock volts.

Also, if you havent Flash your mobo, it could be agood idea.

Good Luck!
July 3, 2012 6:53:31 PM

All the fixes I've found didn't work and it happened on different AMD drivers. I've tried Mafia at 3,8 Ghz and it still crashed in about 5-6 minutes even when the voltage was at 1,4 v. Max CPU temp was 47 C which I think isn't bad considering that it was OC'd and ambient temps were rather high. I've downclocked it to 3,7 and tried Mafia 2 again, played for about an hour with no problems. I'd really suck if I had to up the voltage to 1,425 to get a stable OC;/ Especially that I've played more demanding games @ 3,8 Ghz with lowered voltage and there were no problems whatsoever. And now I have to change it because of friggin' Mafia 2:p  Is it possible that some games just do not tolerate overclocking or cause the CPU to be unstable in some ways?
July 3, 2012 9:22:51 PM

Hawarimi said:
All the fixes I've found didn't work and it happened on different AMD drivers. I've tried Mafia at 3,8 Ghz and it still crashed in about 5-6 minutes even when the voltage was at 1,4 v. Max CPU temp was 47 C which I think isn't bad considering that it was OC'd and ambient temps were rather high. I've downclocked it to 3,7 and tried Mafia 2 again, played for about an hour with no problems. I'd really suck if I had to up the voltage to 1,425 to get a stable OC;/ Especially that I've played more demanding games @ 3,8 Ghz with lowered voltage and there were no problems whatsoever. And now I have to change it because of friggin' Mafia 2:p  Is it possible that some games just do not tolerate overclocking or cause the CPU to be unstable in some ways?

When I play Crusader Kings II I don't have problems lol it's soooo demanding. But by golly I tried to run MW3 about an hour ago and bam, freeze. It felt like a RAM freak out, but I could be wrong. Come to think of it, BF3 doesn't give me BSODs actually, just MW3 and Crysis 2. Maybe it really is just a patching issue, but idk.
July 4, 2012 8:38:30 AM

Augray37 said:
When I play Crusader Kings II I don't have problems lol it's soooo demanding. But by golly I tried to run MW3 about an hour ago and bam, freeze. It felt like a RAM freak out, but I could be wrong. Come to think of it, BF3 doesn't give me BSODs actually, just MW3 and Crysis 2. Maybe it really is just a patching issue, but idk.

Well, it seems that some games are really picky when it comes to OC. Tested TDU2 and it didn't crash with 3,7 Ghz @ stock voltage (1,4). It really sucks because, for other games, I ran 3,7 Ghz @ voltage as low as 1,35 v without stability issues;/ With 3,8 Ghz I've set it to 1,375, so still below stock. It turns out that I had to lower the clocks and increase the volts to maintain stability in these games, how effin' disappointing this is! I've also noticed that TDU2 pushes the CPU rather hard - it peaked at about 56 C (well, it still hot today but Mafia pushed it to only 47 C). What's also weird is that CPU-Z shows CPU voltage as 1,376 but in Bios i'm on stock 1,4:p 

Do you happen to have Mafia 2? Maybe you could try to run it at my OC settings and see whether it crashes, if it's not too much of a hassle of course?
a c 108 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 11:50:49 AM

Run OCCT and chart the ripple on that OCZ StealthXstream II 500W PSU

July 4, 2012 12:42:01 PM

Wisecracker said:
Run OCCT and chart the ripple on that OCZ StealthXstream II 500W PSU

Good idea, I'm back from training so I'll just rest a bit and try it in about an hour or so. Thanks for the advice
July 4, 2012 3:38:08 PM

i have a 955be, and i was never able to overclock it past 3.7G... the voltage was at around 1.4 if i recall correctly, i found that increasing the voltage did not help in ocerclocking past that.

IMO increasing the northbridge frequency is more important for memory bandwidth. i ended up at 2400. ( go to lostcircuits . com for the review of the 955be. informative!)

a possible explanation for your woes, is that "electromotive migration" has set in... requiring your to use a lower frequency/higher voltage than before.
might be that the processor is only stable at stock...

sorry to say but it might be time to go the the "Dark side" Intel LOL... the 2500k. two hundred bucks, and faster!...
disclaimer: i'm using a 1100t,(4Ghz, 1.4v),990fx sabertooth, 1600ddr3 88824.

good luck and may the AMD force be with you.
July 4, 2012 4:11:43 PM

redeye said:
i have a 955be, and i was never able to overclock it past 3.7G... the voltage was at around 1.4 if i recall correctly, i found that increasing the voltage did not help in ocerclocking past that.

IMO increasing the northbridge frequency is more important for memory bandwidth. i ended up at 2400. ( go to lostcircuits . com for the review of the 955be. informative!)

a possible explanation for your woes, is that "electromotive migration" has set in... requiring your to use a lower frequency/higher voltage than before.
might be that the processor is only stable at stock...

sorry to say but it might be time to go the the "Dark side" Intel LOL... the 2500k. two hundred bucks, and faster!...
disclaimer: i'm using a 1100t,(4Ghz, 1.4v),990fx sabertooth, 1600ddr3 88824.

good luck and may the AMD force be with you.

Believe me, if I could afford it I'd buy an I5 2500k right away but I just couldn't. I'm not a huge AMD fan, I just went for the cheapest option possible which is still sufficient for modern games. I've ran My Phenom @ 3,8 Ghz with 1,375 v easily in every game except these three. Now I run it @ 3,7 Ghz at stock volts and these games stopped crashing so the CPU OC is definitely stable. Checked OCCT but the voltage graphs are quite confusing (or I'm just too much of an idiot:p ) and I was afraid to run the PSU test. Well, I guess there's not much I can do, I was almost 100% that 3,8 Ghz on stock volts will work in every game but apparently it doesn't. Or there an another reason why these games crashed but I don't think I can figure it out. I'll have to test them a bit more.

It'd be really great if someone here could try Mafia II @ 3,8 Ghz and 1,375 v or stock 1,4 and see whether it crashes. Maybe my mobo is just too *** for OC or it's a PSU problem (but I really don't think that a 500W PSU couldn't handle a Radeon 7850 and a moderately overclocked PII, I've seen people running more demanding components off such supplies).

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 4:46:35 PM

What motherboard do you have?
a c 108 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 5:10:21 PM

Just a little heads up ... Gigabyte AMD motherboards are really bad to over-volt if left on *Auto* or stock volts. I've never seen one that doesn't love a minus 0.05v to 0.1v under-volt.

I'll run a OCCT and snag a chart for you --- if you carefully read the VCore and 12v headers it lists the ripple info by 'actual volts' and 'percentage'

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 5:15:04 PM

My own PSU has only 450W... And (stupid me) is from Cooler Master. Which is called crap master in PSU...

Sadly from where I am, there not many choices and that was the only certified PSU that fit in my budget at that time.

But with 450W, 35Amps in a single 12V rail and it has been working flawlessly for 8 months with my system that is about yours. The big diference is that my gpu is less powerful but it actually uses MORE power.

So the PSU wouldn't be the problem. As I said, have you updated your mobo's bios? Sometime it comes with fixes and CPU codes that increase stability.
July 4, 2012 5:45:44 PM

Hawarimi said:
Well, it seems that some games are really picky when it comes to OC. Tested TDU2 and it didn't crash with 3,7 Ghz @ stock voltage (1,4). It really sucks because, for other games, I ran 3,7 Ghz @ voltage as low as 1,35 v without stability issues;/ With 3,8 Ghz I've set it to 1,375, so still below stock. It turns out that I had to lower the clocks and increase the volts to maintain stability in these games, how effin' disappointing this is! I've also noticed that TDU2 pushes the CPU rather hard - it peaked at about 56 C (well, it still hot today but Mafia pushed it to only 47 C). What's also weird is that CPU-Z shows CPU voltage as 1,376 but in Bios i'm on stock 1,4:p 

Do you happen to have Mafia 2? Maybe you could try to run it at my OC settings and see whether it crashes, if it's not too much of a hassle of course?

EXACTLY! I set it to 3.7GHz on 1.35V and it's fine for some games, others I HAVE to set it to 1.4V. 3.9GHz at 1.4V is rock solid in prime95, but not in games, errgh. Any more voltage and it gets too hot. Oh also, CPU-Z and the BIOS will always give different numbers for the CPU voltage, I don't know why exactly, but I've heard several people say that. I don't have Mafia 2, I kinda wish i did, that'd be interesting to see.
July 4, 2012 6:59:02 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

Much appreciated, Wisecracker:) 

When I started OC'ing the CPU, I've set the voltage to manual so it doesn't overvolt (some mobos tend to do that when set to auto just as Wisecracker said). It appears that it's stable at my current OC and I don't think that pushing the voltage over stock to 1,425 just to squeeze out an another fully stable 100 Mhz is worth it - I probably won't achieve anything performance-wise other than increased temps. Since it's rather hot lately I might actually try to lower the volts to 1,375 and let it run @ 3,7, maybe it'll still be stable in Mafia II and other problematic games (considering that I've completed Crysis 2 DX11 @ 3,8 Ghz on 1,375 v without a single crash:p )

Is it worth to up the NB freq from 2000 mhz to 2200 mhz? I can do that without upping the CPU NB voltage and I was using it to the moment I've tried Mafia II. Ideally, I'd want to have it at 2400 mhz but it'd require a voltage bump because on stock the PC just won't boot. TBH, I'd really want to try 3,8 Ghz with 1,425 v and NB @ 2400 with a slight volts bump but I'm afraid the temps will be too high - today in Mafia 2 they peaked at 55 C (yesterday it was 47, something's wrong with HWmonitor;p)
a c 108 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 7:15:04 PM

Quote:
Is it worth to up the NB freq from 2000 mhz to 2200 mhz?

You should have no problems at 2400MHz+ at 1.2v to 1.25v --- some folks crank it as high as 1.35v but that's a bit high for me. For each 10% you increase the IMC/NB over stock, memory bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4% -- tends have almost as much impact on frames in gaming as upping the CPU clock.

Are you good on the ripple, or do you need a chart with circles and arrows and stuff?

July 5, 2012 8:29:04 AM

Wisecracker said:
Quote:
Is it worth to up the NB freq from 2000 mhz to 2200 mhz?

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/AMD%20Overlords/IMC-NB_AT_fc2720nba.jpg

You should have no problems at 2400MHz+ at 1.2v to 1.25v --- some folks crank it as high as 1.35v but that's a bit high for me. For each 10% you increase the IMC/NB over stock, memory bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4% -- tends have almost as much impact on frames in gaming as upping the CPU clock.

Are you good on the ripple, or do you need a chart with circles and arrows and stuff?

Ripple will suffice, thanks. From what I've read in OCCT my PSU delivers stable voltages but it's just to double check it:p 
!