Sign in with
Your question

Looking to buy mid range n router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 15, 2010 6:36:53 PM

Hello one and all,
I have to set up 2 wireless routers(1 will be redundant in case the connection drops so that users can log in to
the second router with a different dhcp range) for a client that owns a mid sized department store. The users will
be using those Asus EEE desktop models simply to log in the corporate price database and some online vendors
databases etc. I have spent a couple of days searching the net for a good review on mid-range priced routers with
good range but my research results have been less than stellar.

I was hoping some of you folks could give me advice on brand/model. These routers will be used strictly in 802.11n mode
hopefully dual band(40Mhz) and since there are no 802.11g units being used, I will be using the 5Ghz band. I have
read somewhere that the 2.4 Ghz band has a better range...is this true?

I will be attaching these routers to the ceiling(well, close to that anyways since the ceiling seems to be about 30 ft high. So I will be attaching them to the cross members which support the roof) so that they will be able to broadcast as well as possible with fewer obstructions in the way...

If I haven't explained it well, pls tell me so and I will try to give more details. I am looking more for range than throughput with of course good connectivity in the two routers I need to buy...

Thanx in advance,
Luke

More about : buy mid range router

March 15, 2010 7:00:55 PM

All other things being equal, the higher the frequency, the shorter the range. Higher frequencies also tend to lose more of their signal strength as they encounter obstacles. It always works that way w/ radio, not just wireless routers.

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/wirelessIO/PDF/White%20Pape...

It's always a tradeoff between performance and range when it comes to the choice of radio band and wireless routers. In a typical home or small office, it's probably not going to matter all that much, so we tend not to give it much thought. But for a mid-size department store, it’s hard to say. I’d certainly do some testing before committing to any solution, esp. if you haven’t done this before using the same equipment.
m
l
March 15, 2010 7:17:19 PM

Thanx for the reply eibgrad...like I said earlier, the thruput
does not have to be great...I am looking for range and I don't
mind going 2.4Ghz for that extra boost.
I some1 had experience with or at least knowledge of some good
mid-priced routers with known good range...
Also, perhaps some1 could maybe point me towards a forum
which is more router specific?(no offence Tom!) ;) 
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2010 7:44:20 PM

lukezter said:
Thanx for the reply eibgrad...like I said earlier, the thruput
does not have to be great...I am looking for range and I don't
mind going 2.4Ghz for that extra boost.
I some1 had experience with or at least knowledge of some good
mid-priced routers with known good range...
Also, perhaps some1 could maybe point me towards a forum
which is more router specific?(no offence Tom!) ;) 

dslreports.com is probably more appropriate, although it can be overly technical at times.
m
l
March 15, 2010 7:47:55 PM

Thanx again eibgrad, although I will check this thread several times in case I get lucky..
m
l
!