Sign in with
Your question

DNS server Not Responding

Last response: in Windows 7
October 13, 2011 9:18:29 AM

Hello,

I have issue where i can download antivirus updates,download torrent files but my webpages are not opening either from IE or Firefox.Diagonising the problem gives the issue as DNS server not responding.I don't know why but my downloads are happening well i just cant surf the internet

More about : dns server responding

October 13, 2011 10:00:59 AM

Open a command prompt and try to ping a website, E.G.

ping bbc.co.uk

Do you get replies or an error? If you get an error try this from a command prompt:

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

try pinging again, if it does not work restart your router and computer. If its still not working call your isp.

Which operating system are you using?
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:40:23 PM

Try out namebench. It hunts down the fastest DNS servers available for your computer to use. namebench runs a fair and thorough benchmark using your web browser history, tcpdump output, or standardized datasets in order to provide an individualized recommendation. namebench is completely free and does not modify your system in any way.

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 1:54:27 PM

Hi bum,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried pinging the site www.bbc.co.uk but get an error like "Ping could not find the requested host...."
But ipconfig /release and renew don't work i have also tried the OPEN DNS 208.67.222.222 and alternate DNS 208.67.220.220 but they too don't work.My files are downloading fine from torrentz with a good speed.
My OS is Windows 7 ultimate.
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:56:25 PM

@evong how should i implement the namebench ????Sorry for my ignorance :( 
m
l
October 13, 2011 2:19:52 PM

Maybe your hosts file is messed up. Check C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts. It's a file with no extension that you can open on notepad, it should contain no entries other than localhost at 127.0.0.1. Anything else may be causing you problems.
m
l
October 13, 2011 3:21:49 PM

What Muri said but in might have other entries if you use spybot. I always go directly to thinking this is malware Run Malwarebytes or superantispyware or spybot or all of them lol. pretty sure this will be the cause if not go with what the other guy said and call ISP.

T
m
l
October 14, 2011 5:22:23 PM

techtron said:
@evong how should i implement the namebench ????Sorry for my ignorance :( 

Run it, let it extract and press start benchmark.
If it doesn't work you have another problem.

m
l
!