Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Space between gpu's

Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2012 2:05:09 PM

hi,
is space an important thing in terms of watercooling?
i am building my rig with 4x 7970's on the asus rampage 4 extreme...with ek blocks attached to them,there is very little place over my middle grey pcoe slot..its a x16 slot working as x8...i was planning on putting a physx card there..would it be a good idea as there is so little space?the 7970's and blocks attached to them probably will take upto two slots....
i was planning on using this on the middle slot
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
would i be able to install it?

More about : space gpu

a c 324 K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 2:49:23 PM

That looks to be a single slot card with the block, so it would technically only occupy a single PCI-e slot. If you have an open slot, your Physx card should fit.

I'm not certain that a Physx card is going to net you any performance increase, especially if you are going to run 4x 7970's.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 3:11:29 PM

in terms of blocks being right on top of each other, no it will not bother the blocks to be that close to each other. I would not suggest doing the same thing with radiators as this can affect the performance of a water loop.
I do not know the configuration of your motherboard so I can not say that you can add another card on top of the 4 you want to place in there already. the blocks seem to be 1 and 1/4 slots in thickness with the card attached so if the board configuration is two slots space two slots of PCI-E than you might get all the video cards but not the physics card as the video cards will be a tight fit all ready maxing the limits of the slots space.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 4:07:42 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
in terms of blocks being right on top of each other, no it will not bother the blocks to be that close to each other. I would not suggest doing the same thing with radiators as this can affect the performance of a water loop.
I do not know the configuration of your motherboard so I can not say that you can add another card on top of the 4 you want to place in there already. the blocks seem to be 1 and 1/4 slots in thickness with the card attached so if the board configuration is two slots space two slots of PCI-E than you might get all the video cards but not the physics card as the video cards will be a tight fit all ready maxing the limits of the slots space.

can you please check this mobo out and tell me whether the cards will fit or not?
its a bit complicated for me to understand all that..lol
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp...
and i had asked a q.earlier about the rads...
the rads are going to be mounted like this,....
FAN;RAD;FAN--CLEARENCE--FAN;RAD;FAN

the rads are in pushpull....so if i put the rads side by side,would there be any problem
??as you have mentioned,will it be affecting my loop?
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:11:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
That looks to be a single slot card with the block, so it would technically only occupy a single PCI-e slot. If you have an open slot, your Physx card should fit.

I'm not certain that a Physx card is going to net you any performance increase, especially if you are going to run 4x 7970's.

i also thought that this card was single slot..but after seeing some more pics...i think that its 1.5 slot card...could you compare that card and this card and see if that card is single slot or not??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 4:15:45 PM

This image shows me it's a single slot:

m
l
July 3, 2012 4:17:50 PM

rubix_1011 said:
This image shows me it's a single slot:

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-130-665-Z02?$S300W$

yes,i know that its single slot..i asked you to compare this and the 1st link to find out if the 1st link gpu is single slot or not...the waterblokcs seems a bit thicker in the 1st link..do you think that the 1st link gpu is single slot?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 4:22:24 PM

ok if you use the new block than you will get the physics card in there no problem.

the rad space is the key here, if you have about 4 inches of space for each rad, with a total of 6 to 8 inches between them than you will be fine. less than this and you risk pulling hot air from one rad through the other drastically reducing its ability to remove heat from the water.
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 4:28:45 PM

Quote:
yes,i know that its single slot..i asked you to compare this and the 1st link to find out if the 1st link gpu is single slot or not...the waterblokcs seems a bit thicker in the 1st link..do you think that the 1st link gpu is single slot?

Technically a 1 slot, but more like a 1.25 slot...maybe 1.5.

Are you not able to look at the images and determine for yourself?
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:33:54 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

Technically a 1 slot, but more like a 1.25 slot...maybe 1.5.

Are you not able to look at the images and determine for yourself?

lol..i determined it myself but when you said that it was looking like it was 1 slot,i was like :??: 
as the ultra classified is better than the ftw..i wouldve gone with the ulltra classified but ass its 1.25 slots i had to give it up but when you said that it was single slot i had to ask... :D 
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:40:36 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
ok if you use the new block than you will get the physics card in there no problem.

the rad space is the key here, if you have about 4 inches of space for each rad, with a total of 6 to 8 inches between them than you will be fine. less than this and you risk pulling hot air from one rad through the other drastically reducing its ability to remove heat from the water.

there is tons of space in the heat exchanging chambers of the Caselabs Sth10 case that am gonna be using....its not like a cosmos 2..lol
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:41:34 PM

my only concern was the space between the gpu's...thnx for the help guys...:D 
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 4:44:45 PM

Is there truly only 1 space for each PCI-e slot on your board? I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but I don't know why you'd need 4x 7970's for (certainly not games)...I suppose F@H would be about the only thing viable to utilize them.

Personally, I'd go with the option that allows you to actually fit the cards, not the 'faster card' as you can easily overclock them if you really wanted to...but why would you need to when running 4x 7970's? I'm starting to question the logic in this build.
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:44:54 PM

Best answer selected by mukitbinazad.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 4:45:44 PM

thanks for the BA man
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:50:01 PM

i am gonna be use 90 degree fittings
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:35:31 PM

the 7970+ek+single slot bracket would take upto one slot right?
this is the mobo..
http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/products/r7FZemJak3...
there is single slot spacing between each slot and between the 2nd and 3rd red slot thare is a grey slot..if its used than there is no space in the middle....i will able to connect the 4 7970's using 2x ek bridges(dual slot)..but the gtx 580 will be used in the middle/..but its blokced there..so how will i be able to get the fittings there as there is no space..????:/
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:43:46 PM

the only answer I have for you is this, do not water cool the physics card. it is not the it would be impossible, it is that the difficulty in finding and block for a different type card that will match up with the others with regards to the water ports might be impossible, meaning that would have to make your own.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:49:06 PM

You could possibly find a chipset block that would match up with the mounting holes...this would be one option.

(still wondering why you'd bother with a Physx card when you are running 4x 7970's)
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:50:18 PM

yeah i understand that....even if i could find wb's,i coudnt link em as there isnt any space between the cards...i cant even use single slot spacing...only if the asus r4e was a htpx board with multiple slots......:( ...this totally screwed me up...:( ....if i use a physx card that is high end and single slot and if i dont watercool it,would it be a problem as the gpu will be air cooled in a very small space and there is literally 2 intake fans in my build as all the fans and space is dedicated to the rads???would the aircooling cause problems to my other components??????
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:53:53 PM

Not sure what would be an easy solution...not many people use Physx cards anymore and they're typically worthless when running newer GPU hardware that has physics-based calculation built into the architecture.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:54:45 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You could possibly find a chipset block that would match up with the mounting holes...this would be one option.

(still wondering why you'd bother with a Physx card when you are running 4x 7970's)

the blokc is attached to the gtx 580...its the gtx 580 ftw hydrocopper 2...and the reason behind using a physx card is amd has no native physx like technology except opencl...even when you are using quad 7970's,your fps is gonna suck even at dx9 games that are physx heavy...the fps drops way down from its average in the physx scenes of some games like batman ac
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:59:01 PM

well try to find a block with ports that match up they make 0 space SLI bridges
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:59:27 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Not sure what would be an easy solution...not many people use Physx cards anymore and they're typically worthless when running newer GPU hardware that has physics-based calculation built into the architecture.

well,amd has no physx based calculation built in except opencl...because of nvidia's physx,when you are running a physx heavy game and stressing the cpu to run the physx,it boggles down.....thats why i need physx..many people are using physx for that.....if there was enough spacing between the slots ..installing the card wouldnt be a headache at all..:( 
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 7:36:14 PM

You might check into PCI-e extension cables to remote mount it, if that's an option for you.
m
l
July 6, 2012 8:44:43 AM

rubix_1011 said:
You might check into PCI-e extension cables to remote mount it, if that's an option for you.

no way..lol....i have done a bit of research and i cant find any way to watercool the gtx 580 in the middle of the 7970's..so am thinking about aircooling....as i have mentioned earlier,i am not gonna be using any intake fans except the back panel and maybe a top panel fan...so if i add a high end air cooled card in the middle of the extrmely oc'd watercooled cards and add no fans for airflow..would there be any problem?i am obviously not gonna oc the air cooled physx card...but it will be high end..so would it cause any probs?
m
l
July 6, 2012 1:21:13 PM

can i use 1x dual parallel bridge(2 slot) and 1x dual parallel bridge(3 slot) in my build?the outlet of the 1st bridge will go to the 2nd bridge inlet...
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 2:06:24 PM

So the Physx card is actually a 580? That's a horse of a different color. I'd ditch one of the 7970s and add the 580 into the loop. This is likely going to be the most beneficial if you are wanting to utilize as much of the cards you have on hand.
m
l
July 6, 2012 2:25:22 PM

looks like i found a way...

green=radeon 7970 with wb
blue=gtx 580 with waterblock
red=ek fc bridge dual parallel 3 slot
yellow=ek fc bridge dual parallel 2 slot
pink=asus xonar phoebus

this idea just came to my mind...am gonna install my
1st radeon 7970 into the 1st red slot
2nd radeon 7970 into the grey slot(middle slot)
3rd radeon 7970 into the 3rd red slot
4th radeon 7970 into the 4th red slot
gtx 580 into the 2nd red slot

am gonna use the ek fc bridge dual parallel 3 slot bridge to bridge the 1st and 2nd 7970's as by installing the 2nd 7970 in the grey slot,it gives me 2 slot spacing...
the 3rd and 4th 7970's will be bridged by the ek fc bridge dual parallel 2 slot as there is single slot spacing between them
in this way i will be able to install the fittings in the gtx 580 inlet and outlet as there is a single slot spacing between them./////
on the x1 slot between the 3rd and 4th slots(3rd and 4th 7970's),i will install a xonar phoebus...
would this setup work?
would the ek bridge cause any problem with gtx 580's height?dont the gpu's have almost the gpu's with the blokcs installed have same height?and doesnt the ek bridge go right on top of the blocks?are the ek bridges more extended than there spacing between the slots?
like the ek 2 slot bridge is used forsingle slot spacing
in this case wouldn't the ek bridges just amount of the spacing that the gpu's have+the bit that goes over the links?
if the bridges are more lengthy than they should be,i might not be able to install the 2x bridges...
plz help
m
l
July 6, 2012 5:28:56 PM

nope.wont be able to do it with the ek as with the ek link installed,the wb+gpu take 2 slots.....so thinking of buying the swiftech 7970 komodo blocks....i could use the triple xfire bridge for my 1st and 2nd radeon but i need a ek link blank like thing for the triple crossfire bridge..does swiftech have anything like the link blanks?
m
l
July 6, 2012 5:57:28 PM

ek blocks without link installed have 2 ports on the right and two ports on the left that can be used as inlet and outlet..could i use 1st on the right as inlet and the 2nd port as outlet and not use the left side ports at all?
m
l
July 7, 2012 5:22:28 PM

nope..thought about it alot..taking every waterblock,bridge and accessories that are available in the market in mind,there is no possible way i will be able to use the gtx 580 watercooled....
there are no top of the line single slot cards available in the market..
there are the nvidia gt series cards that suck...
so am gonna wait for the galaxy gtx 680 single slot air cooled card....
m
l
July 11, 2012 4:06:13 PM

rubix_1011 said:
So the Physx card is actually a 580? That's a horse of a different color. I'd ditch one of the 7970s and add the 580 into the loop. This is likely going to be the most beneficial if you are wanting to utilize as much of the cards you have on hand.

if i only use 3x 7970's...i wont get 132 fps in skyrim..lol
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 4:46:36 PM

This thread doesn't really seem to be going anywhere other than a blog of you having a discussion with yourself. I'm not sure where this is going...? Are you still having issues that need to be addressed? If so, why did you choose a best answer already?
m
l
July 11, 2012 5:14:40 PM

rubix_1011 said:
This thread doesn't really seem to be going anywhere other than a blog of you having a discussion with yourself. I'm not sure where this is going...? Are you still having issues that need to be addressed? If so, why did you choose a best answer already?

i thought my problem was solved..but after doing a bit more research i was like :?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 5:23:19 PM

Understood. You might post more info in a Q/A format to solicit responses from the community. I think folks are under the impression you are just thinking out loud, here.
m
l
!