Controller Error message

timyhou

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I just finished building a new machine and while monitoring the event viewer and HD Tune Pro I noticed that both of these are showing an error.

Event viewer throws a "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0." typically when I have the computer do some sort of write activity.

I was concerned about this so I installed and ran HD Tune Pro and noticed that under the Health tab it labeled "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count" as Warning. I watched the warning count carefully over the night and it went from 300 to 1035 in the morning today.

I powered down and checked the SATA 6.0 cable to the hard drive to make sure it was connected properly and did the same for the end to the motherboard. I restarted and it seems to be better, but the same error shows up occasionally in Event Viewer and HD Tune Pro.

I am concerned that this might be a HD issue. I will try to get my hands on a different SATA cable and see if the problem persists.

The hard drive I am using is a Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB. In terms of practical use, the machine is working alright. I have noticed some serious hangs when doing write/read heavy operations, but besides that everything else seems alright in my stress tests. I just want this error to get resolved before it causes serious damage / I start using this machine seriously.

timyhou

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Just swapped the SATA cable, but the warning message still shows up in HD Tune Pro, I am guessing this is really a SATA controller issue either on the HDD or the Motherboard?

I am using a Gigabyte 970A-D3 if that helps shed any light on the issue.