Power Supply prices

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
There are some huge instant savings on power supplies right now. I'm talking 50-70 drops off the normal prices. I was just wondering if anyone knew why?

I was planning on doing a build in about a month or two, but i'm thinking it might be good to go ahead and by the PSU now and save some major cash.

Thoughts? Anyone have any inside info?

Examples:
Corsair 750W - $70 instant savings

Corsair 650W - $61 instant savings

Secondly, if it's a good idea to buy now, i was thinking of getting the 650W in plans to do a i5 or phenom II X4 or X3 build. I probably would do a ATI 5850 with it, no more than two in crossfire. I'm assuming the 650W would be plenty for path i might take?

Thanks!

The "instant savings" are always there. I bought a Corsair 650W a month ago for the exact same price. It later went up $1. Apparantly, it went back down...

650W should be enough, but if it were me, I'd want a 700-750W. Besides, it's generally only $10 to get a bigger one.

A better PSU would be the Antec Earthwatts 650W for $75. Or the OCZ StealthXStream 700W for $80, with a $25 rebate. Both of these are high quaility units, and cheaper than the Corsairs.

PSU prices rarely change.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Alright thanks for the info. I have never paid attention to the prices much until now. I'll hold off until i know my budget better and exactly what i want to order.

Thanks again!