ATI 5850 Win7 Driver Issues?

OK I am about to start pulling my hair out because I am at a loss. I have this specific card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150455 installed in a brand new build based on a AMD Phenom II x4 965 with a MSI 790FX-GD70 MB.

The build went together absolutely headache free and was up and running for almost 24 hours before I tried to install the driver for the video card. At that time Win7 Pro 64bit would pop up and error that read "Video Display Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" but then it just does the same thing a couple more times and then the system just locks up.

I thought I screwed something up the first time with trying to D/L the driver. I ended up re-installing Win7 and started over with a clean D/L of the newest driver from XFX's website. Everything seemed to work fine and I was playing around with STEAM and D/Ling the Dirt game that came with the card. The system ran stable for maybe an hour or so and now it started the same thing and locks up shortly after reboot displaying the same driver error.

Any ideas on what I should try? Should I find a driver straight from ATI? It looks like the driver IS from ATI and XFX is just distributing it. I downloaded what should be the proper driver. It was for Win7 64bit and I downloaded the file marked display driver only. I don't think it is a hardware issue as it ran fine with a generic VGA driver when Win7 first installed. I believe it is a software issue.

Thanks,

-Joe
55 answers Last reply
More about 5850 win7 driver issues
  1. Driver errors after an hour of gaming sounds more like a heat issue. Could you check your temps, idle and load?

Also, I wouldn't download the drivers from the XFX site. I would go directly to the ATI site and get the 9.12 driver.
  2. THat error is windows timeout detection and recovery goign off. It is suposed to indicate a hardware fault where the card fails to respond and is reset.

It can sometimes be due to software bugs, or other parts of the system, but the first place to look would be th eGPU itself. Check temperatures and whatnot. You might want to ensure you have the latest drivers installed as well, those provided by xfx should be the same as the ones from ati though.

It is very likely there is a flaw in the card if it happens outside of gaming, it coudl be a driver issue as many will insist it is not hardware. I am more of the oppinion that most software causes of this have been solved, but one never can be sure.

Turning off aero often helps.. The card is being used at desktop a lot more in 7 than in other OSes, which can manifest issues you may only run into while gaming otherwise.
  3. jay2tall said:
    Driver errors after an hour of gaming sounds more like a heat issue. Could you check your temps, idle and load?

Also, I wouldn't download the drivers from the XFX site. I would go directly to the ATI site and get the 9.12 driver.

It wasn't during gaming it was just sitting there downloading the game. I haven't even fired up a game yet. I'll try to get some heat readings anyway.

-Joe
  4. The problem is I can't even get get it to run for 10 minutes. I just went and turned it back on, it had been sitting for almost 2 hours, and it locks up right on system boot. I get the error maybe it recovers for 30 seconds then it errors again and then it locks up. The card is still iced cold to the touch. I can't run long enough to get heat readings. If I start in safe mode it runs fine.

-Joe
  5. If I were to guess I'd say the card is not getting enough power to the GPU, or the memory on it is faulty.

Double check your PSU. Might want to make sure all updates are installed to windows.. but since the install is fresh I'd doubt any extra crap is causing the issue.

If you have another card handy you can double check to see if it is software causing this.. But I'd be really inclined to think the card is faulty and TDR is actually working like it is supposed to. Unfortunately if it is some silly software bug it might happen when you replace the card still..

Some things to look at:
    - Re seat memory and the GPU itself
    - Run memtest to check for memory+cpu stability (this can also cause strange errors) If something is wrong with either the windows install may have been borked and could cause many issues.
    - Ensure all drivers are up to date (motherboard, sound card, etc.), and only one display driver is installed.
    - Trace the PSU cables to make sure they are all snug (what brand is it btw?)
    - Check out various web pages on TDR, and atikmdag.sys issues... but don't hold your breath on any of the "fixes" working. Of note, ignore all of the solutions that ask you to remove updates (they are for vista) and change the number of CPU cores windows uses.
  6. daedalus685 said:
    If I were to guess I'd say the card is not getting enough power to the GPU, or the memory on it is faulty.

Double check your PSU. Might want to make sure all updates are installed to windows.. but since the install is fresh I'd doubt any extra crap is causing the issue.

If you have another card handy you can double check to see if it is software causing this.. But I'd be really inclined to think the card is faulty and TDR is actually working like it is supposed to. Unfortunately if it is some silly software bug it might happen when you replace the card still..

Some things to look at:
    - Re seat memory and the GPU itself
    - Run memtest to check for memory+cpu stability (this can also cause strange errors)
    - Ensure all drivers are up to date (motherboard, sound card, etc.), and only one display driver is installed.
    - Trace the PSU cables to make sure they are all snug (what brand is it btw?)

PSU is a Corsair 750TX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
    I didn't cheap out on anything on this build. I'm doing another install of Windows and have the newest drivers direct from ATI and if that doesn't work I will pull the card and put it in the other PCIe16 slot and see if that makes a difference. Where do I get memtest from or is that built into Windows?

-Joe
  7. 69Rocket-Joe said:
    PSU is a Corsair 750TX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
    I didn't cheap out on anything on this build. I'm doing another install of Windows and have the newest drivers direct from ATI and if that doesn't work I will pull the card and put it in the other PCIe16 slot and see if that makes a difference. Where do I get memtest from or is that built into Windows?

-Joe

There is one built into windows, it shows up as a start up option. It will tell you if there are errors, but is not very thorough. I use this : http://www.memtest.org/

It will tell you about any errors in the memory, and is a pretty good judge of basic CPU errors as well.

Might want to start the RMA process on the GPU though. Sadly things don't always work out of the box. XFX is usually exceptional with returns.
  8. daedalus685 said:
    There is one built into windows, it shows up as a start up option. It will tell you if there are errors, but is not very thorough. I use this : http://www.memtest.org/

It will tell you about any errors in the memory, and is a pretty good judge of basic CPU errors as well.

Might want to start the RMA process on the GPU though. Sadly things don't always work out of the box. XFX is usually exceptional with returns.

That is what I am thinking. Why does it work fine though with a generic Win driver and crash with the ATI driver? The last thing I will try tonight is to swap it to the other PCIe16 slot and see if that makes a difference. If so the MB might be junk? I'm just a little pissed because I have next week off of work and was hoping to play some games. I do have a 9800 GT that I might try, but I am pretty sure that board is junk as it stopped working in my old system. Thanks to all for the advise.

-Joe
  9. The new drivers direct from the ATI website did not fix it. Even did another clean install of Win7 and then installed nothing but the driver and it keeps crashing.

-Joe
  10. What is the Voltage on the 5 volt rail? I had a similar issue with a EVGA 8800. I talked with tech support and they had me check the voltage. Mine was at 4.9. I replace the PSU and the issue was solved.
    Good Luck,
    Phil
  11. OK Now I am getting frustrated. New card arrived from Newegg today. Installed it and the same thing is happening. It loads up Win7 and then the driver recovery thing starts up right away. I don't know what to do now. I'll have to track down another PCIe card to try to see if it is the MB. After all this screwing around I don't know if I can RMA the MB if it is. What a PITA, any other ideas?????

-Joe
  12. 69Rocket-Joe said:
    OK Now I am getting frustrated. New card arrived from Newegg today. Installed it and the same thing is happening. It loads up Win7 and then the driver recovery thing starts up right away. I don't know what to do now. I'll have to track down another PCIe card to try to see if it is the MB. After all this screwing around I don't know if I can RMA the MB if it is. What a PITA, any other ideas?????

-Joe

In order of probability for causing this issue:

GPU - Unlikely you got two bad cards in a row.. but be sure they actualyl replaced it and didn't "refurbish" the one you sent back
    RAM - Bad ram would bork a windows install and cause who knows what other issues. If it passes thorough memtest it is probably fine though.
    PSU - The Card is not getting a good 12V signal.
    CPU - Corrupted data is corrupted data, it if was not stable during OS install who knows what else it could be causing. More likely if you have an overclock.
    MB - PCIe slot or the chip set. Perhaps anything on it.

Could also happen if you really choke the card of fresh air. It is also entirely possible that some other software you have installed is messing it up. Are you installing any other drivers after a fresh install with the ATI ones? Software conflicts would be very hard to diagnose unless you install drivers one at a time and use the computer in between each.
  13. daedalus685 said:
    In order of probability for causing this issue:

GPU - Unlikely you got two bad cards in a row.. but be sure they actualyl replaced it and didn't "refurbish" the one you sent back
    RAM - Bad ram would bork a windows install and cause who knows what other issues. If it passes thorough memtest it is probably fine though.
    PSU - The Card is not getting a good 12V signal.
    CPU - Corrupted data is corrupted data, it if was not stable during OS install who knows what else it could be causing. More likely if you have an overclock.
    MB - PCIe slot or the chip set. Perhaps anything on it.

Could also happen if you really choke the card of fresh air. It is also entirely possible that some other software you have installed is messing it up. Are you installing any other drivers after a fresh install with the ATI ones? Software conflicts would be very hard to diagnose unless you install drivers one at a time and use the computer in between each.

I don't think it is the same card. My RMA went to California and the replacement card shipped out of New Jersey. However the packaging of the card looked off. The tape dots weren't broken but looked off, and the packaging of the product inside did not look like it was done at a factory. Especially the antistatic bag the card was in. The end was just crumpled up a little and looked stuffed in the box. It is possible I got one someone else returned.

I'll run a mem test on the RAM, any one you suggest? I can't get the system to run long enough to even try this. With the new card it spits out the error right away and then does it repeatedly after it does recover. I mean one on top of the other. With the other card you could get about 2 or 3 minutes after boot before everything went belly up and the recovery errors were about 30 seconds apart when they did start popping up.

I still don't get how it runs fine on a generic WIN7 video driver. When I first booted up the very first time I ran the machine continuously for over 24 hours with zero issues, then as soon as I install the driver it gets all crappy. If it were something other than the GPU wouldn't there be issues with even the generic driver? I have a spare PSU but I think it is only 450 watts, but hopefully that would be enough for a test.

The machine is a fresh build and I don't have the sides on so it should be getting plenty of air. The card crashes on a fresh install of WIN7 even when it is the first thing I install after the OS. Maybe I should try an install of XP and see what happens with it.

I'm just going a little nuts here because I haven't had an up to date system in a while and there is a bunch of games I really want to try!

-Joe
  14. You're not doing any sort of overclocking are you? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere, so I'm assuming no. Otherwise, it's possibly a system memory issue or worse, a CPU or motherboard issue.
  15. to be extra sure, open the case and put a house fan towards the thing

try to flash ur bios on the mobo

and i would love to see ur full specs, everything from top to bottom

i have a 5870 and i'm running on win 7 RC 1 still and it works, and there arn't many of these threads so I'm assuming this is going to be a full specific check rather than simple checks.
  16. isamuelson said:
    You're not doing any sort of overclocking are you? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere, so I'm assuming no. Otherwise, it's possibly a system memory issue or worse, a CPU or motherboard issue.

No overclocking at all. I was wanting to get the system up and stable before trying that.

-Joe
  17. theholylancer said:
    to be extra sure, open the case and put a house fan towards the thing

try to flash ur bios on the mobo

and i would love to see ur full specs, everything from top to bottom

i have a 5870 and i'm running on win 7 RC 1 still and it works, and there arn't many of these threads so I'm assuming this is going to be a full specific check rather than simple checks.

full specs:
    MB MSI 790FX-GD70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223
    CPU AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103692
    RAM 8GB G.SKILL: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303
    Main HD WD 750GB Caviar Black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136283
    Secondary HD Samsung Ecogreen 1TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152173
    Case NZXT M59: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146058
    Optical Drive Samsung 22x Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192

I ended up adding a 1TB Samsung F3 as the primary HD
    PSU is a Corsair 750tx.

-Joe
  18. guess the house fan don't work

there are other cases of the same mobo offering up issues:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=121121

but they seems to be of a different kind, try contacting MSI and ask them about this.
  19. theholylancer said:
    guess the house fan don't work

there are other cases of the same mobo offering up issues:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=121121

but they seems to be of a different kind, try contacting MSI and ask them about this.

I'm at work, so I haven't tried that yet. This weekend I'll flop it to the other PCIe16 slot and try different plugs to see if I can get it working. I will also try that forum as well. May have to shoot MSI an email also, maybe flash my BIOS as well. I haven't done that either. Might try tweaking the RAM timings to see if that helps.

-Joe
  20. OK well I just spend about another hour dinking around with the thing. This is what else I tried. I tried different wires from the PSU, I tried the adapter things that came with the GPU, no difference. Tried the second PCIe16 slot, no change. Then for hits and giggles I tried a PCIe8 slot and had the same results. All three slots couldn't be bad on the MB could they?

This is what I am thinking I will try this weekend:
    Flash the BIOS
    Tweak the RAM timings
    Download drivers all over again to make sure I have the newest and a clean DL
    Try another fresh install of WIN7
    Maybe try an install of XP?
    I think I can get another computer that has a single PICe16 slot as well as a 9800gt. I think the 9800gt is fried though as the last time I worked on it I had to use the onboard graphics because the display just died. I can try the 9800 in my system or the 5850 in the other system.

Anything else I could try???

-Joe
  21. You said the system doesn't run enough for memtest to work, get memtest86 & burn it to a disk.
    Then boot of that disk.
  22. sabot00 said:
    You said the system doesn't run enough for memtest to work, get memtest86 & burn it to a disk.
    Then boot of that disk.

If I load WIN7 with the generic video driver it will run fine for as long as I want. I can do that, I'll DL that and see what it says. Thanks.

-Joe
  23. Bootable memtest doesn't even need windows, I believe it uses some little linux OS to run.
  24. EXT64 said:
    Bootable memtest doesn't even need windows, I believe it uses some little linux OS to run.

OK Well that would make things easier. I'll try that.

-Joe
  25. get the 86+ edition eh, not the non + edition

http://www.memtest.org/
  26. Good point, the older ones can crash with 4 GB+ of ram even if all is good.
  27. theholylancer said:
    get the 86+ edition eh, not the non + edition

http://www.memtest.org/

EXT64 said:
    Good point, the older ones can crash with 4 GB+ of ram even if all is good.

OK good to know, otherwise I might have given myself more issues! Can I boot of a USB flash drive? I never tried doing that.

-Joe
  28. I burned it to a CD, but I suppose a pen drive would be fine if you set it as the first boot drive in the BIOS. I've never tried that though.
  29. EXT64 said:
    I burned it to a CD, but I suppose a pen drive would be fine if you set it as the first boot drive in the BIOS. I've never tried that though.

Yes the BIOS has an option to boot from USB. I just don't have any blank CDs at home. All I have are blank DVDs and I don't have a functional DVD burner at the moment.

-Joe
  30. ummmm :

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.exe.zip

download that, its labeled:
    Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)
  31. theholylancer said:
    ummmm :

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.exe.zip

download that, its labeled:
    Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

OK I DL'd it, but now how do I use it? Do I need to run in a DOS window? Is that even possible with Win7?

-Joe
  32. Well I think I have eliminated the card itself as the issue. I borrowed a 9800GT and it is doing the same thing, only not as frequent. I was able to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool which displayed no memory errors. Now what? I have a 450 watt PSU, should I try that? Will that even be enough juice? I suppose if I leave the 9800 in there it should be?

-Joe
  33. You plug the pen drive in & restart, it will boot from the drive.
  34. You may have to set it first in the boot order in the BIOS too, though maybe they are smart enough to ask now.
  35. i have the same problem here!! please help!!
  36. EXT64 said:
    You may have to set it first in the boot order in the BIOS too, though maybe they are smart enough to ask now.

No I'll have to set it. I had that issue installing the OS. It tried to read the HD first and one of the ones I hadhooked up must have still had and OS on it. Not a bit deal to change. I remember there is an option to boot from USB.

-Joe
  37. khoipham88 said:
    i have the same problem here!! please help!!

The same exact problem? Is your card an XFX? Is your MB an MSI? Just seeing if we can narrow down what the issue is, or if it is a wider spread issue. I think I will try the PSU next. Since it seems a little more stable with the 9800 that pulls less juice maybe that is the culprit? I checked and I have a spare 450 and 550W PSU's that are both brand new. The 550 should be enough to power what I've got.

-Joe
  38. 69Rocket-Joe said:
    The same exact problem? Is your card an XFX? Is your MB an MSI? Just seeing if we can narrow down what the issue is, or if it is a wider spread issue. I think I will try the PSU next. Since it seems a little more stable with the 9800 that pulls less juice maybe that is the culprit? I checked and I have a spare 450 and 550W PSU's that are both brand new. The 550 should be enough to power what I've got.

-Joe

yeah i have msi mb. 900w psu, 5g of rams,but i have a sapphire one.
  39. no i have sapphire 5850. msi mb, 900w psu.
  40. khoipham88 said:
    yeah i have msi mb. 900w psu, 5g of rams,but i have a sapphire one.

Referring to this thread for information as to how you might sort out your problem is one thing but hijacking it to ask your own questions is considered bad etiquette :non: and as such you should start your own thread.
  41. Ok so there could be heat or PSU issues, if the 9600 GT does pull less

but hell a 750 TX is a good psu, try change it out and yeah a 9600 GT or even ur 5850 should not need more than a quality 500w psu...

and with another msi user, maybe the mobo is broked? I mean it could be that the mobo from MSI is causing all of this, looking ar both psu, and different bran 5850s.... the only similarity is the mobo, try to see if there is any more of these cases online and call up MSI and hound them
  42. The Corsair 400CX has enough amps on the 12V rail to push a GTX 285, I assume the 5850 uses less power, so the Corsair 400CX can push any single GPU card.
  43. sabot00 said:
    The Corsair 400CX has enough amps on the 12V rail to push a GTX 285, I assume the 5850 uses less power, so the Corsair 400CX can push any single GPU card.

It has the amps but not the wattage so sustained use with those cards could cause it to melt.
  44. Mousemonkey said:
    Referring to this thread for information as to how you might sort out your problem is one thing but hijacking it to ask your own questions is considered bad etiquette :non: and as such you should start your own thread.

If he is having the same exact issue with similar hardware I don't mind. Sounds like we may have the same thing wrong. I'll have to flash the BIOS before I swap PSU's. Maybe that will help.

-Joe
  45. theholylancer said:
    Ok so there could be heat or PSU issues, if the 9600 GT does pull less

I don't think heat would be an issue as every thing seems cool and it happens right after boot up and with no apps running to push anything hard. Uggghhh what a headache.

-Joe
  46. 69Rocket-Joe said:
    I don't think heat would be an issue as every thing seems cool and it happens right after boot up and with no apps running to push anything hard. Uggghhh what a headache.

-Joe

You're not the only person who feels it may be an issue with drivers.

http://www.techeye.net/chips/amd-punter-has-problems-catalysing-things
  47. I may have found the issue. I poked around on an MSI board and they suggested pulling all the RAM but 1 stick. I booted up with the 9800GT and it seemed rock steady stable. I then shut down and put in the 5850 and it has been running without issue for about 20 minutes. I'll let it run a bit and bump it back up to 4GB. They are not too keen on the G.Skill RAM over there. They say it has repeated issues with 8GB. I'll post again after I put it back to 4GB and DL L4D and test her out.

-Joe
  48. 69Rocket-Joe said:
    I may have found the issue. I poked around on an MSI board and they suggested pulling all the RAM but 1 stick. I booted up with the 9800GT and it seemed rock steady stable. I then shut down and put in the 5850 and it has been running without issue for about 20 minutes. I'll let it run a bit and bump it back up to 4GB. They are not too keen on the G.Skill RAM over there. They say it has repeated issues with 8GB. I'll post again after I put it back to 4GB and DL L4D and test her out.

-Joe

If I had a penny for every time I've been chided for suggesting that people try pulling out some RAM to see if it made a problem go away, I'd be able to afford another beer at the very least. :lol:
  49. Mousemonkey said:
    If I had a penny for every time I've been chided for suggesting that people try pulling out some RAM to see if it made a problem go away, I'd be able to afford another beer at the very least. :lol:

Yeah it never crossed my mind to try that. Windows was recognizing 8GB and it passed a memtest. It is now running with 4GB and stable. I am hoping it stays that way.

-Joe
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Product