Having a weird problem with my Crosshair III, sometimes when I power up the rig I get no video and the only way to fix it is by clearing the CMOS or removing the battery. I have already installed a new battery and the problem still persists but what I do find odd is the fact that this only happens like once or twice every few months so its not something that happens on a daily basis.

I have troubleshooted to the point that I have taken the whole rig apart and put it back together but the problem still persists. It was working fine for about 2 months and last night it happened again.

I don't want to RMA because I know that it has to be some sort of setting that is causing this issue.

Any feedback is much appreciated :)

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you done the standard testing overnight??? Prime 95, MemTest86+... etc to see if anything comes up with errors? (I'm sure you have since you've took the PC a part and put back together :) but just want to check)

Your overclocks might have started becoming unstable on either your RAM or GPU for some reason.

Is there anything you can pin point prior to the issue (from the last time you shutdown the PC). Examples, something didn't close right on the last shutdown prior to the issue. The PC was shutdown for x amount of days, which isn't normal for you, which could've resulting in a cold boot type issue. Did you shutdown in Sleep mode versus Shutdown without realizing it??

Just some random thoughts (or 2 cents) on my part!!

Thanks for replying tecmo34 =)

Well to be honest in my 20 years dealing with all sorts of computers I have never had such an issue. Last night I played BC2 for about 2 hours and once I was out of the servers and back to the desktop I shut the PC down which I normally don't do. Normally I let the PC cool down before I shut it off, could this be the issue?

It was happening back when I had the GTX 260 as well so I doubt it has anything to do with the GPU/CPU clock or RAM since it normally passes more than 6 hours of prime at 3.8/3.9Ghz depending on ambient.

I just cannot find the reason why I do not get any video upon bootup when everything was working fine for countless hours. It used to happen more often till i updated my Bios (2 months ago) and it happened again for the first time last night since that last bios update.

I will clear the CMOS again once I get home from work and try to find a solution to this, I just hate re-setting everything every time this happens =(

tecmo34

Administrator
I'm not sure if that would cause the issue or why it would? You can always try & rule it out by repeating tonight shutting down right after closing the game & before it cools down. If no issue, you know that isn't the cause. If you have an issue, you know what triggers it but why would be the question.

Another option is to just build a new PC & send me this one for lengthy evaluation (gaming) to troubleshoot the issue. [:mousemonkey:5]

hehe :na:

if I had cash for another build I wouldn't hesitate, could use a few opinions when it comes to this board.

IDK, its like sometimes it works fine and sometimes its finicky. For instance right now its running fine (after I re-set everything) but you will see, in a month or two I will update this thread with another crash unless I find the answer to this mysterious problem.

Anyways I will give google a try for a few hours to see if i can find anything :)