Sign in with
Your question

I5 750 Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2012 8:14:19 PM

Hello,
I have been thinking of overclocking my i5 750 a bit.

I am running stock fans in the Antec Nine Hundred case, the stock with the i5 750 CPU, and a 650watt PSU.

I believe the stock runs at 2.67, I want to overclock to 3.0 or 3.25 for future scalability (video card; as I read that a CPU can bottleneck a GPU).

Will OCing my CPU help with less potential bottlenecks in my GPU (currently a Zotac GTX 560 ti) or upgrading to a GTX 670/680?

I do not want to invest in a new system yet, but I want to play games that come out before the new year.

How will I go about doing this?

More about : 750 overclocking

July 3, 2012 8:22:58 PM

Spend about 2-4 weeks reading every guide here and you can find on google. Focus on articles that involve your CPU and your motherboard.
July 3, 2012 8:36:00 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Spend about 2-4 weeks reading every guide here and you can find on google. Focus on articles that involve your CPU and your motherboard.

Did not know that it would take that amount of time in order to understand and complete an overclock. I would've thought some would have already done it with this CPU (also my Motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D).

Related resources
July 3, 2012 8:39:41 PM

i dont recommend you to overclock your CPU because it have locked multiplier,and it is complicated to overclock locked multiplier CPUs ,besides overclocking shortening CPU life .
new core i5,i7 K versions likei5-2500K,i5-3570k,i72600K,i7-3770k and AMD FX ,phenomeII BE have unlocked multiplier and overclocking with those CPUs are much easier.
and core i5-750 wont be bottleneck for any single graphics card including 680.
July 3, 2012 8:50:49 PM

Oxford,
Thanks for that opinion. Seems I am totally underestimating my CPU. Seems even after over 2 years the i5 750 isnt a bad chip (though the P7P55D mobo is a pain with its 15 second POST)
July 3, 2012 8:51:53 PM

cappo619 said:
Did not know that it would take that amount of time in order to understand and complete an overclock. I would've thought some would have already done it with this CPU (also my Motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D).

Read first then do. I spent a good 2-3 weeks before ordering my parts. Then another week while stuff was processing/arriving on things specific to my CPU/motherboard. After all that I still had obsticals that I needed to research. The more you know, the better off you are. I think I am stable @ 4.6ghz and I am still reading things about it to make it better, and more efficient. Every CPU is different, and unless you buy parts based on a guide there will be unknowns that are not so easy to find.

It is possible to overclock a locked multiplier, you just need to invest the time to find out how to. It is more difficult, and will not lower the life of the CPU any more than over clocking a K series.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 8:56:34 PM

@cappo619

you can try using this

But bear in mind overclocking is not simply something someone does for shits and giggles, it's an art, requiring careful tweaking, a patient mind and a good after market cooling solution.

Hence DarkOutlaw's post requesting you spend a couple weeks researching the right voltage, what options are available to you in your motherboards BIOS, what frequency range you should expect from your chip, what cooler you have, or what cooler you need to buy, whether your PSU is up to the task, and again whether you need to replace it and of course (perhaps the most important) the risk associated with overclocking. People can and do lose everything from a bad overclock, and it can be an expendy process if you munt any components.

These are just some of the things you should research if you want to overclock, however as we are not your mummy I guess you can completely disregard everything we are suggesting, open the link I have provided and go freaking nuts, and figure it out for yourself as you go along. Not the best method, but it's your money, your enjoyment, and sanity at stake. :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 9:07:28 PM

Speaking as someone with an i5 750 at 4ghz... it's not hard. But you do want to read up on it.
It's also a very good CPU, I have no intention of replacing it for at least a couple more years if not more. The only downside is lack of SATA 3/USB 3.

I also have an Asus P7P55D Pro. My POST is not that bad, but it's a bit slow. An SSD will do absolutely nothing for POST, as the POST is built into the motherboard and it's just checking what you have connected to it. Make sure you have the most up to date mobo BIOS installed. That's about all you can do, unless maybe there's an IDE timeout on it. Check the BIOS (your HDDs and everything should be SATA not IDE). Just curious, do any of the LED's hang during boot? Mine has a slight pause at RAM, but it's only a couple seconds.

I wrote a guide that should help:
http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/01/guide-to-overclock...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 10:21:03 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

I agree with this completely, read up and come back with questions
a c 100 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 10:35:38 PM

2-4 weeks reading is excessive, just make sure you find a good guide (sorry can't point you to one offhand) and ask any questions you have left in this forum.
July 3, 2012 10:40:03 PM

as i told you there are tow ways for overclocking the first is by increasing BCLK which it needs professional to do it and the second is by increasing multiplier which is very easy to do it
if you dont know exactly how to make BCLK OC your PC wont POST or it maybe burn your CPU(be careful)
if you want to know what BCLK or multiplier mean your i5 have 133BCLK and 20multiplier so your CPU speed is 133x20=2.66
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 10:55:52 PM

oxford373 said:
i dont recommend you to overclock your CPU because it have locked multiplier,and it is complicated to overclock locked multiplier CPUs ,besides overclocking shortening CPU life .
new core i5,i7 K versions likei5-2500K,i5-3570k,i72600K,i7-3770k and AMD FX ,phenomeII BE have unlocked multiplier and overclocking with those CPUs are much easier.
and core i5-750 wont be bottleneck for any single graphics card including 680.

This is very wrong that chip will fly when overclocked and reading up on something will really pay off
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 10:57:16 PM

The i5 750 overclocks well but don't be to ambitious and test, test, test.
July 3, 2012 11:03:13 PM

i am sure i5-750 wont be bottleneck for any single graphics card at all
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 3:58:03 AM

This is my i5 750 at 4ghz. 18k is a very respectable CPU score, and obviously with over 30k on the graphics side, I'm not bottlenecking my pretty fast GPUs either.

OCing it is a little more work than a sandy/ivy bridge, but just take your time and it's not so bad.
July 4, 2012 1:21:55 PM

Guys,
Seems I have some reading to do.

As for the post, when I turn my system on, it takes ~15 seconds then it shows the windows splash screen. I do have 2 128GB SSDs (once it hits the windows splash it takes literally ~5 seconds to get to the login, and around 8 seconds to get to desktop (seems that the P7P55D mobo can cause some delay; I have turned off the LEDs which went through the normal process of checking everything without issue multiple times before I turned them off)

Also, the Legion Hardware Overclock guide, has anybody tried it out before?

Wolfram, did you do the OCing yourself or did you use a guide?
July 4, 2012 3:05:31 PM

wolfram23 said:
Did it myself. The guide I linked above - I wrote it.

Never heard of the Legion Hardware Overclock guide, though.

Here's another guide for you
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263043-29-1156-core-c...

What is your guide set to OC to? 4GHz? I do not know if my stock fans (1 on CPU, 1 at the top blowing out (HUGE), PSU fan, back case fan blowing in, and 2 front blowing in as well I believe) will be able to withstand that heat, so thats why I think 3.2-3.5 would be more applicable.

My Case:
http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-gear_for_gamer...

I can control I believe 4 fans (top blowing out, 2 front, 1 back), all are on low, so if I need to I can set em higher.
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 6:14:37 PM

My guide is a general knowledge guide and tells you how to actually overclock, it's not a "do this for this result" type of... "guide".

Also, I have an Antec 900 II, it's a good case.
July 4, 2012 7:59:09 PM

I have the first generation Antec 900....

As for the guide, so you don't go about saying set to this for this result, but more of this is how I did it (by changing this to this).

To set my CPU OCd to say 3.5, how many things would I need to change in order for it to be accomplished and work?

Quick question Wolf, if I OC my CPU, will it boost my FPS when I game? like going up a full GHz (2.6 to 3.6) will I notice a difference in my system? If so, what will I notice?

I am going to try the: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/256144-11-1156-core... tonight, lets hope it works lol
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 11:02:36 PM

For the most part you might see less stutter or areas of low framerate, but it depends on the system. If the GPU is not able to be fully utilized even on highest settings, then OCing the CPU can improve framerate, but if the GPU is getting to max usage anyway, then like I said, it might help with min framerates.
July 4, 2012 11:26:43 PM

Hey Wolf,
Just did the OC as per the link I posted. Here is my CPUID results, please advise if anything seems off or I need to lower/highten something:

(only thing running is Google Chrome and the Programs here)

Hmm..Did I even do anything? lol...

Here is what it was getting to seconds into running PRIME95 in Blend Test (I turned it off right away):

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 11:56:53 PM

Your temperatures are reading waaayyy too high. Shouldn't go over 75C max...

What cooler are you using?
July 5, 2012 12:12:28 AM

wolfram23 said:
Your temperatures are reading waaayyy too high. Shouldn't go over 75C max...

What cooler are you using?

Defaults that came with the case, CPU and my PSU...Maybe I should not even bother with the OCing until I get better fans it seems..

These temps (last picture) are during the Prime95 test...otherwise it seems calm
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 12:19:52 AM

There's a reason that one of the first things I wrote in my guide is:

"Prerequisites

The second thing you need, and this is very important, is good cooling. The case itself needs to have a decent amount of air flow. Typically most "aftermarket" cases will be sufficient, but if you upgraded the motherboard using one of the smaller HP/Dell/etc towers, you may need to make some changes. I've seen many that only have 1 exhaust fan, on the bottom. Ideally you would have at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust. On top of good case cooling, you also will need good CPU cooling. Typically the stock cooler that comes with a CPU is not going to cut it for overclocking. You might get a very small performance bump out of it, but it will quickly run out of thermal headroom. Ideally you need an aftermarket tower cooler, even a cheaper one like the Hyper 212 Plus."

You can overclock a little bit on stock voltage with your CPU cooler, but that's it. I'd back it off until you pick up an aftermarket cooler, those temps are dangerously high.

As many people said... read guides and do some research. Temps are one of the single most talked about items concerning OCing.

Also, yes I know your case is the 900 not the 900 II, but it still has 2 intake fans on the front and 2 exhaust fans. The case should have fine air flow, but you need a cpu cooler.
July 5, 2012 12:21:33 AM

Will do,
Thanks Wolf!

EDIT-Reset BIOS back to normal and no issues. Will repost here if I wish to OC again.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 1:05:13 AM

81 Deg C is too hot for a stable overclock. Whilst I love your enthusiasm I cannot condone blindly jumping into overclocking like you have done.

Rule number 1: DO NOT USE STOCK COOLER!
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 1:40:09 AM

The temperatures are much to high, try and keep the temperatures below 60 Centigrade at maximum load. Either reduce the overclock or get a better heatsink
July 5, 2012 1:03:14 PM

Hi Guys,
I understand this, and I made this clear that I was using STOCK before I dug into this, but nobody seemed to recognize this.

Anyways, I will likely invest in new fans in the next little bit then try it again...
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 2:38:03 PM

cappo619 said:
Hi Guys,
I understand this, and I made this clear that I was using STOCK before I dug into this, but nobody seemed to recognize this.

Anyways, I will likely invest in new fans in the next little bit then try it again...

While it wasn't explicitely pointed out by us, most of the responses you got were "do research first", and any decent guide (many of which were linked) do in fact talk about the importance of cooling. Given the advice, it was assumed you would read that.

And you don't want "new fans". You want a CPU heat sink. The Hyper 212 Plus/Evo are probably the best bang for your buck coolers right now if you don't want to spend a lot.
July 5, 2012 4:29:49 PM

simon12 said:
2-4 weeks reading is excessive, just make sure you find a good guide (sorry can't point you to one offhand) and ask any questions you have left in this forum.

I dont mean sit there and read 8 hours a day for 4 weeks straight. I would go mad reading forum posts for 8 hours straight by itself. Spending 10-20+ hours of your time to research something you really want to do is barely anything. I thought I found that "good guide" then I found a "better guide" then I ran into issues and needed to track down a "different guide". Every guide is similiar but not the same. The biggest hassle is finding mobo specific guides.

cappo619 said:
Guys,
Seems I have some reading to do.

As for the post, when I turn my system on, it takes ~15 seconds then it shows the windows splash screen. I do have 2 128GB SSDs (once it hits the windows splash it takes literally ~5 seconds to get to the login, and around 8 seconds to get to desktop (seems that the P7P55D mobo can cause some delay; I have turned off the LEDs which went through the normal process of checking everything without issue multiple times before I turned them off)

You know you can disable the windows splash screen to knock off 2-3 seconds from your boot time.

wolfram23 said:
While it wasn't explicitely pointed out by us, most of the responses you got were "do research first", and any decent guide (many of which were linked) do in fact talk about the importance of cooling. Given the advice, it was assumed you would read that.

And you don't want "new fans". You want a CPU heat sink. The Hyper 212 Plus/Evo are probably the best bang for your buck coolers right now if you don't want to spend a lot.

Read lots. Hyper 212 is great, cheap, efficient. You can get creative if you would like with some lights and add a 2nd fan for a push/pull system that will knock off 3-4 more degress if you want. Just make sure it will fit your case. I want to say it will fit just about any mid tower, but most of us only have 1 to compare from.
December 2, 2013 4:04:06 PM

I dont recommend over clocking anything that is not water cooled , And i recommended over clocking everything that is . Listin to the guys when they say research ..I have yet to see a lockjed cpu the i5-2310 i have says locked at 3.2 but it runs 3.8ghz at 41c (however it is serious water cooled 3 pumps ) but you have to consider so many things like front bus speed , ram speed , bios ect ect i could go on and on so if you have not spent the time or money for your self your only wasting peoples time dont ask them ask "GOOGLE" submitted with respect . Its just like this you cant expect some one to do your home work when you have done none of your own , Or first thing is you would not think of overclocking with out first replacing cooling system from stock .....summery upgrade your ram and a ssd for 80 bucks , then min 60 bucks on cooling (myself $600 and at least 75 hrs on cooling system) then come back ....please dont respond used my grandma account on fb for fast login to reply
December 2, 2013 5:54:48 PM

Vella Dorsey said:
I dont recommend over clocking anything that is not water cooled , And i recommended over clocking everything that is . Listin to the guys when they say research ..I have yet to see a lockjed cpu the i5-2310 i have says locked at 3.2 but it runs 3.8ghz at 41c (however it is serious water cooled 3 pumps ) but you have to consider so many things like front bus speed , ram speed , bios ect ect i could go on and on so if you have not spent the time or money for your self your only wasting peoples time dont ask them ask "GOOGLE" submitted with respect . Its just like this you cant expect some one to do your home work when you have done none of your own , Or first thing is you would not think of overclocking with out first replacing cooling system from stock .....summery upgrade your ram and a ssd for 80 bucks , then min 60 bucks on cooling (myself $600 and at least 75 hrs on cooling system) then come back ....please dont respond used my grandma account on fb for fast login to reply

Are you out of your mind? I have a Hyper 212+, that I spent $20, and my 2500K is rockin a stable 4.6 GHz overclock. Stop trolling posts that are over a year old and giving out bad advise. You should do your homework first before suggesting anything.
December 14, 2013 12:29:10 AM

Were did that guy come up with the idea that the i5 750 would be hard to overclock because it is locked? Anyway Overclocking will not be impossible, but go easy on her she is a little older now. 3.2ghz is a good speed, Especially if you are already running 1600 ddr3. But A i5 750 at stock clock will not bottleneck any new cards trust me. My brothers runs a GTX 770 fine. Not to mention i5 750s have run ATI 5970s And those cards are hoss cats too. And mine runs a GTX 650Ti
!