cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hello,
I have been thinking of overclocking my i5 750 a bit.

I am running stock fans in the Antec Nine Hundred case, the stock with the i5 750 CPU, and a 650watt PSU.

I believe the stock runs at 2.67, I want to overclock to 3.0 or 3.25 for future scalability (video card; as I read that a CPU can bottleneck a GPU).

Will OCing my CPU help with less potential bottlenecks in my GPU (currently a Zotac GTX 560 ti) or upgrading to a GTX 670/680?

I do not want to invest in a new system yet, but I want to play games that come out before the new year.

How will I go about doing this?

cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Did not know that it would take that amount of time in order to understand and complete an overclock. I would've thought some would have already done it with this CPU (also my Motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D).

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
i dont recommend you to overclock your CPU because it have locked multiplier,and it is complicated to overclock locked multiplier CPUs ,besides overclocking shortening CPU life .
new core i5,i7 K versions likei5-2500K,i5-3570k,i72600K,i7-3770k and AMD FX ,phenomeII BE have unlocked multiplier and overclocking with those CPUs are much easier.
and core i5-750 wont be bottleneck for any single graphics card including 680.

cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Oxford,
Thanks for that opinion. Seems I am totally underestimating my CPU. Seems even after over 2 years the i5 750 isnt a bad chip (though the P7P55D mobo is a pain with its 15 second POST)

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

Read first then do. I spent a good 2-3 weeks before ordering my parts. Then another week while stuff was processing/arriving on things specific to my CPU/motherboard. After all that I still had obsticals that I needed to research. The more you know, the better off you are. I think I am stable @ 4.6ghz and I am still reading things about it to make it better, and more efficient. Every CPU is different, and unless you buy parts based on a guide there will be unknowns that are not so easy to find.

It is possible to overclock a locked multiplier, you just need to invest the time to find out how to. It is more difficult, and will not lower the life of the CPU any more than over clocking a K series.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
@cappo619

you can try using this

But bear in mind overclocking is not simply something someone does for shits and giggles, it's an art, requiring careful tweaking, a patient mind and a good after market cooling solution.

Hence DarkOutlaw's post requesting you spend a couple weeks researching the right voltage, what options are available to you in your motherboards BIOS, what frequency range you should expect from your chip, what cooler you have, or what cooler you need to buy, whether your PSU is up to the task, and again whether you need to replace it and of course (perhaps the most important) the risk associated with overclocking. People can and do lose everything from a bad overclock, and it can be an expendy process if you munt any components.

These are just some of the things you should research if you want to overclock, however as we are not your mummy I guess you can completely disregard everything we are suggesting, open the link I have provided and go freaking nuts, and figure it out for yourself as you go along. Not the best method, but it's your money, your enjoyment, and sanity at stake. :)

Speaking as someone with an i5 750 at 4ghz... it's not hard. But you do want to read up on it.
It's also a very good CPU, I have no intention of replacing it for at least a couple more years if not more. The only downside is lack of SATA 3/USB 3.

I also have an Asus P7P55D Pro. My POST is not that bad, but it's a bit slow. An SSD will do absolutely nothing for POST, as the POST is built into the motherboard and it's just checking what you have connected to it. Make sure you have the most up to date mobo BIOS installed. That's about all you can do, unless maybe there's an IDE timeout on it. Check the BIOS (your HDDs and everything should be SATA not IDE). Just curious, do any of the LED's hang during boot? Mine has a slight pause at RAM, but it's only a couple seconds.

I wrote a guide that should help:
http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/01/guide-to-overclocking-part-1.html

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
as i told you there are tow ways for overclocking the first is by increasing BCLK which it needs professional to do it and the second is by increasing multiplier which is very easy to do it
if you dont know exactly how to make BCLK OC your PC wont POST or it maybe burn your CPU(be careful)
if you want to know what BCLK or multiplier mean your i5 have 133BCLK and 20multiplier so your CPU speed is 133x20=2.66

This is very wrong that chip will fly when overclocked and reading up on something will really pay off

3dmarkvantage.png

This is my i5 750 at 4ghz. 18k is a very respectable CPU score, and obviously with over 30k on the graphics side, I'm not bottlenecking my pretty fast GPUs either.

OCing it is a little more work than a sandy/ivy bridge, but just take your time and it's not so bad.

cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Guys,
Seems I have some reading to do.

As for the post, when I turn my system on, it takes ~15 seconds then it shows the windows splash screen. I do have 2 128GB SSDs (once it hits the windows splash it takes literally ~5 seconds to get to the login, and around 8 seconds to get to desktop (seems that the P7P55D mobo can cause some delay; I have turned off the LEDs which went through the normal process of checking everything without issue multiple times before I turned them off)

Also, the Legion Hardware Overclock guide, has anybody tried it out before?

Wolfram, did you do the OCing yourself or did you use a guide?

cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

What is your guide set to OC to? 4GHz? I do not know if my stock fans (1 on CPU, 1 at the top blowing out (HUGE), PSU fan, back case fan blowing in, and 2 front blowing in as well I believe) will be able to withstand that heat, so thats why I think 3.2-3.5 would be more applicable.

My Case:
http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-gear_for_gamers/nine-hundred/0-761345-15900-5.aspx

I can control I believe 4 fans (top blowing out, 2 front, 1 back), all are on low, so if I need to I can set em higher.

cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I have the first generation Antec 900....

As for the guide, so you don't go about saying set to this for this result, but more of this is how I did it (by changing this to this).

To set my CPU OCd to say 3.5, how many things would I need to change in order for it to be accomplished and work?

Quick question Wolf, if I OC my CPU, will it boost my FPS when I game? like going up a full GHz (2.6 to 3.6) will I notice a difference in my system? If so, what will I notice?

I am going to try the: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/256144-11-1156-core-overclocking-guide tonight, lets hope it works lol

For the most part you might see less stutter or areas of low framerate, but it depends on the system. If the GPU is not able to be fully utilized even on highest settings, then OCing the CPU can improve framerate, but if the GPU is getting to max usage anyway, then like I said, it might help with min framerates.

cappo619

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hey Wolf,
Just did the OC as per the link I posted. Here is my CPUID results, please advise if anything seems off or I need to lower/highten something:

(only thing running is Google Chrome and the Programs here)
cpuzrn.jpg

cpuzlu.jpg

Hmm..Did I even do anything? lol...

Here is what it was getting to seconds into running PRIME95 in Blend Test (I turned it off right away):
prime95k.jpg