Best processor to fit old motherboard

paul_e_watson

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello,
I have an Abit AA8-Duramax with a Prescott 550 LGA775. I would like to upgrade the processor to the best/fastest that will fit. I know there are Prescott2 processors... but will they fit? Any ideas on how to upgrade the processor and keep the MB? Thanks, Paul

Solution
I would go for the 650 (product number IP4650) at Starmicro for $40 plus shipping. It's probably the best bang for the buck. Your board won't work with the 9xx series.

ulysses35

Distinguished
If you want something that will work with the later C2D / C2Q and live in the UK, I have an Abit Fatality S775 mobo that is sitting in a box gathering dust. PM if you want it... yours for the price of postage

You better give this guy the best answer award. People like this make THG one of the best forums to come to. My hats off to you ulysses35. :D

I suggested a Fatality mobo to a friend when they 1st came out years ago and he was able to flash the BIOS and upgrade to a C2D E8500 to run some high end software he uses for his business. This was an upgrade from a Pentium D, in which he paid a pretty dollar for when those were high on the performance graph. Huge difference and he saved a ton of money in the process.

paul_e_watson

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Thank you for your kind offer.... but I suspect that the shipping to the US would be pretty high. Sure would be nice to have Core 2 Duo. Would my 240-pin DDR2 (PC2 4300) memory fit? Anyway... thanks for the offer.

Shipping is actually unimaginably high. I paid 148.00 for a 16x16 package a month ago and that was through the dependable USPS with no tracking but was at least insured. It actually got there in 4-5 days. I would expect a package the size of a motherboard to be 40-50 bucks. It was another 100 bucks to go UPS or Fed-Ex.