Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7-3930k IDLE IS WAY TOO HIGH

Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2012 9:16:17 PM

Hi guys I'm running a i7-3930k AT STOCK with a Havik 140, and it's idling at 43C!?
What is wrong?! The fans are right, the thermal paste is stock, but I'm pretty sure I applied it properly, and the mounting screws are snug...
Help!

More about : 3930k idle high

a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 9:28:07 PM

professornob said:
Hi guys I'm running a i7-3930k AT STOCK with a Havik 140, and it's idling at 43C!?
What is wrong?! The fans are right, the thermal paste is stock, but I'm pretty sure I applied it properly, and the mounting screws are snug...
Help!

also depends on the temp of your room and the case airflow. if the case in a min case it harder for the heat to flow out of then a larger case. check that you have one fan blowing air in and one or two fans blowing air out. if you case is one with the ps on the bottom make sure the fans are facing out. not dumping hot air into the case. also check your cpu fan speeds. some of them will idle real low it going to be a balance between fan speed and noise. if you think it a case airflow issue try taking the side panel off.
m
l
July 3, 2012 9:29:52 PM

smorizio said:
also depends on the temp of your room and the case airflow. if the case in a min case it harder for the heat to flow out of then a larger case. check that you have one fan blowing air in and one or two fans blowing air out. if you case is one with the ps on the bottom make sure the fans are facing out. not dumping hot air into the case. also check your cpu fan speeds. some of them will idle real low it going to be a balance between fan speed and noise. if you think it a case airflow issue try taking the side panel off.

I'm on an open bench, on top of the motherboard box.....
EDIT: Ambient temp is 66.3F ~ 19~C
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 3, 2012 9:32:27 PM

its normal CPU temperature but make sure intel speed step is enabled at bios
my i7-920 idling at 37c
what is the cpu temperature at 100% load
July 3, 2012 9:35:40 PM

oxford373 said:
its normal CPU temperature but make sure intel speed step is enabled at bios

It is!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2012 9:36:09 PM

did you pull the plastic off the bottom of the heat sink and use the thermal paste?? you only need a small dab of it for it to work.
make sure the heat sink is down onto of the cpu.
m
l
July 3, 2012 9:39:28 PM

smorizio said:
did you pull the plastic off the bottom of the heat sink and use the thermal paste?? you only need a small dab of it for it to work.
make sure the heat sink is down onto of the cpu.

The plastic thing is off, and I used enough to spread around the rather large socket. (how much is too much?)
m
l
July 3, 2012 10:43:50 PM

Redid the paste... Now idling at 45C... Imma go buy new paste tomorrow goddamit.
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:30:13 AM

Best answer selected by professornob.
m
l
!