First time water cooling

G

Hello everyone,

I have decided that I want to make a water cooling build so I can overlock. This is my first time so I don't know a lot of the advanced things although I know what everything does. I already have the components picked out, but I didn't order them yet so I can change if you suggest so. As for the water cooling parts I don't have a budget because I generally don't know how much a good setup costs. Also I will be getting the pc in a week or so but I won't be able to get the cooling parts until October. The reason I am planning this now is so I can change the parts if I have too.

Just a reference of what I plan to do in the future... I am definitely planning to do sli (2, 3, more maybe even 4) I am also planning to do a Tri monitor setup or maybe even 3d if it improves in a year or two. Anyway here are the parts I am planning to get...

CPU - i5 3570k
Mobo - asrock z77 extreme4
Gpu - EVGA gtx 680 FTW 4gb
Ram - g.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr3 1600
Psu - corsair ax850
Case - cooler master haf x

I am planning to cool at least my CPU and gpu(s) unless recommended otherwise.I am not sure if I want to do a dual or single loop but prob double so I can easily adjust when I go sli. Thanks for all the help in advance :)

G

Yes I have read the sticky... I know it doesn't seem like it but the problem is even with all those graphics and stats, it really just goes over my head. I don't know if I should by a kit or buy everything separately. Also, what website do you recommend? I heard danger den was good from some but from others I heard it was outdated.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have decided that I want to make a water cooling build so I can overlock. This is my first time so I don't know a lot of the advanced things although I know what everything does. I already have the components picked out, but I didn't order them yet so I can change if you suggest so. As for the water cooling parts I don't have a budget because I generally don't know how much a good setup costs. Also I will be getting the pc in a week or so but I won't be able to get the cooling parts until October. The reason I am planning this now is so I can change the parts if I have too.

Just a reference of what I plan to do in the future... I am definitely planning to do sli (2, 3, more maybe even 4) I am also planning to do a Tri monitor setup or maybe even 3d if it improves in a year or two. Anyway here are the parts I am planning to get...

CPU - i5 3570k
Mobo - asrock z77 extreme4
Gpu - EVGA gtx 680 FTW 4gb
Ram - g.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr3 1600
Psu - corsair ax850
Case - cooler master haf x

I am planning to cool at least my CPU and gpu(s) unless recommended otherwise.I am not sure if I want to do a dual or single loop but prob double so I can easily adjust when I go sli. Thanks for all the help in advance :)

If you plan on 3-4 way SLI in the future, I suggest you change your motherboard to a high quality, higher PCB layers one that have enough PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth to support 3 way SLI or higher such as Asus Maximus V Extreme, EVGA Z77 FTW or Gigabyte Sniper Z77. Otherwise, the highest you can go with the normal Z77 boards are 2 way SLI and even then I don't trust that Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 as much as the Asus or Gigabyte one. Asrock is fine for budget build, your build is clearly not a budget build and thus you should get a high quality motherboard listed above.

Regarding watercooling, you should calculate the total TDP in Watts of your components before selecting the appropriate radiators/pump. Since you are planning on expanding your computer to SLI in the future, I suggest you should get a bigger case that supports at least 2 big radiators such as NZXT Switch 810, Silverstone TJ11 or Corsair Obsidian 800D. With a lot of modifications, you may be able to fit 2 big radiators in that Haf X, but why going through the trouble while you can just select a different case that can house big radiators without modding?

To calculate TDP, lookat your CPU and GPU total TDP at full load, then factor in overclocking and raise the TDP by about 1.5 just to provide some headroom. Here is an example:

i5 3570k TDP including moderate overclocking to 4.5 Ghz = 150W
GTX 680 including overclocking = 225W

if you add more GTX 680 in the future, multiply that 225W by the number of cards you plan on getting. Say you got a 2nd GTX 680 in 6 months to SLI, the total TDP including overclocking of your entire components to be watercooled is 150W + 225W + 225W = 600W.

Now if you read the sticky, skineelab did a very thorough review comparision of many 360 radiators. If you look at the graph and compare the Delta (the difference in temperature between your watercooled component and the ambient temperature), the one with the lowest delta at lowest fan speed is the best one to get. There is also a graph of 10C in Delta for Fan Speed vs Total Wattage (heat dissipation), the radiator that has the highest total Wattage dissipation (how much heat in Watts can a radiator dissipate) at the lowest fan speed is the best radiator to get.

Long story short, Airplex Revolution and HWlabs BlackIce GTX Gen 2 are the 2 best radiators out of all the radiators in that review. Keep in mind Airplex Revolution is a 420 mm radiator (3x 140 mm fans) while Black Ice GTX Gen 2 is a 360 mm radiator (3 x 120 mm fans) and they both can dissipate the highest amount of heat (Watts) at the lowest fan RPM. Now, taking into cosideration that the Black Ice GTX Gen2 is a smaller radiator compared to Airplex Revolution, Black Ice GTX Gen 2 is actually the best one out of those radiators reviewed.

Now, since your loop include a CPU and at least 2 GPUs, I would suggest at least 2 radiators, a 360 mm or 420 mm radiator plus a 240 mm or 280 mm radiators are best options without modding a case since most cases do not have room for 2 360 mm radiators. This is why choosing a good case with radiators space first before purchasing the watercooling stuff is very important and can save you a lot of times and efforts. This is why I suggest the NZXT Switch 810, Corsair Obsidian 800D or Silverstone TJ11 since those cases can house big radiators without moddings.

TRENDING THREADS