No Post, No Beep, No Video, PSU and Fans Only

bullet90

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hello All
Rig has been shutting off randomly for a couple months. I have 2 processors, Athlon XP 2500+ and XP-M 2400+ 35W. Neither will POST at all now so I can't get into the bios. I reset cmos, changed battery, swapped PSUs, swapped memory. The Chaintech 7NJL1 board is now out of the case with 1 stick of RAM, speaker, CPU HS/Fan and PSU hooked up. I jump the switch pins to turn on but still no POST or Beep codes. HS/Fan must be installed for power to stay on. The board is/was a great OCer but never ran it HOT for very long. There is no sign of bulging capacitors on board. The only physical thing I can see wrong with the board is the paint is off of a couple traces under HS clip. Maybe one or both of these traces are broken? This is a nForce2 400 chipset and when I installed the XP-M 2400+, it reverted to 6.0X multiplier no matter what you set in the bios. So, I tried an L12 Mod using the wire in the socket method. This is when the problems seemed to start. I think I fried a 450W PSU in doing this. I replaced with another PSU (Lower Wattage) and voltages all seem to check out except maybe the Gray wire which is at 4.25V, a little low. I think I have it narrowed to either broken traces, a shorted socket from L12 Mod and/or Low Voltage on gray wire CPU signal.
Any help would be appreciated. If I need a new board, I will be looking for a good Socket A (462) Overclocker at a better price, lol.
Also, board seems to be energized, just won't POST.
Thanks All...

I think its time for you to accept the fact that the board is gone, and move on. Any new CPU bought today would be faster than an athlon XP. They were great in there day, but their day is long gone. In the last 2 years ive had 2 of my socket A boards die, an Nforce2 and a via kt400. They are past their use by date.

bullet90

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Thanks iam2thecrowe
This is my #4 system. I know it is beyond it's era performance wise. I just like to play around with the overclocking as a hobby. So, I guess I will look around for a CPU/MB combo to get it going again. I am a PC Tech, self employed, and I just like to play around and troubleshoot problems I may run into. Are there any good used P4 or AMD overclockers available cheap to play around with and get my #4 system up and running?
Thank You....