Mobo mounting question

nicalit

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I'm a computer building newb with a mobo question.

I'm currently upgrading my Asus P4P800-E to an Intel DP55WG (among other long needed upgrades). I've carefully made sure all of my other upgrades (PSU, etc.) will fit the case. After taking out my P4P800-E and seeing my cases screw arrangement possibilities, I notice that I can easily install my DP55WG without needing to move any screws. HOWEVER, the Intel mobo has one more screw needed, and there isn't a hole that it can be screwed into. Would it be a real bad idea to just leave it empty? I will have 10 out of the 11 screws in. FYI, the missing screw is in the middle between two closer screws (I hope this makes sense) so I doubt it would bend without it. I read somewhere about the possibility of shorting the mobo out. What do you think? And if it's a definite no go, what can I do? Thanks

Solution
The only problem might occur if the unused hole helps support the motherboard around the area where the memory is installed. Solution there is to installed memory before you put the motherboard in the case.

Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

The only other solution I see is a new case.
The only problem might occur if the unused hole helps support the motherboard around the area where the memory is installed. Solution there is to installed memory before you put the motherboard in the case.

Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

The only other solution I see is a new case.

Solution
I read somewhere about the possibility of shorting the mobo out. What do you think? And if it's a definite no go, what can I do?

As long as the MB is not touching the case where the vacant screw hole in the MB is there is no contact to produce a short. The case has to be the culprit regarding no hole for a MB riser because both MB's are the same size, standard 12 x 9.6 inchess.

EDIT for clarification

nicalit

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Wow. Quick. I'm impressed.

Good news, thanks. The hole is at least 4 inches from the nearest memory corner. I don't think it will be an issue. Once again, this board proves to be amazing. :)

Thanks guys.