Split programs between 2 HDDs for better performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hello. I was recently considering buying a SSD, but decided not to spend the money at the moment. But this got me thinking. I have 2 HDDs at the moment, both around the same performance. One I really don't use at all, it has nothing on it. The other, bigger one has everything on it. Would it be beneficial to me if I moved, for instance, the OS to the unused HDD and kept all my games, programs, etc. on the other? I don't know if this would yield any performance gains since a HDD is not as fast as an SSD. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
I would say see the benchmarks, if the difference is big then make sure you install everything freshly on the faster hard drive.

Be warned though, this won't actually increase your framerates, it will just decrease the loading times and make the system feel a lot snappier overall.

What hard drives do you have?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I actually don't have much music or any videos on my drive. Its pretty much just the OS and a lot of games. So in that case, would you suggest the OS or the games being on the faster HDD? Or is it worth doing it at all?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I would say see the benchmarks, if the difference is big then make sure you install everything freshly on the faster hard drive.

Be warned though, this won't actually increase your framerates, it will just decrease the loading times and make the system feel a lot snappier overall.

What hard drives do you have?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.