Motherboard for Adobe CS5

SirJusticeIII

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello all!

I am new to building custom Pc's and I need help choosing a good motherboard. I want to use the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor so I'm looking for a great am3 motherboard. The computer will be used for Video editing using Adobe's CS5 Production Premium suite so I'll need a motherboard that can handle at least 16 gigs of Ram. (I'd like to eventually upgrade to 32 Gigs) CS5 has an a new mercury playback engine, and to get the most of it, it requires you to use a Nvida graphics card, so I'd like a SLI motherboard as well. And if at all possible, I'd love the motherboard to be as future proof as possible. I'm looking to spend at max 350$, (of course I wouldn't say no to a great bang for your buck type mother board) Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think there are many AMD boards which support more than 16 GB of RAM... I'm pretty sure for most if not all motherboards 16 GB is the maximum. There aren't many boards that support SLI which are compatible with the Phenom II X6 1090T either. However I can give a few AM3 boards that support SLI:

ASUS M4N98TD EVO
MSI NF750-G55
MSI NF980-G65
ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme (Not sure about current availability)
MSI 870A-GD60 Hydra (May be released soon)

The last two won't need BIOS updates, the first three may.

You may not need an SLI ready motherboard if you do not intend to join the cards together in SLI, however I'm not sure.

magnetman

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Visit the Adobe hardware forums with questions like this
http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=discussions&start=0

I'm doing the same research as you and from what I understand so far, most people using CS5 Production have 12GB of RAM under Win 7-64 Pro or better.
You really need an x58 with an i7-920 or better for this.

Forget 32GB, that crazy. I'm going to max of 24GB only because I handle 800MB Photoshop files which are all handled in RAM

You doing video editing?