How are you reacting to the Hard Drive shortage?

How are you reacting to the hard drive shortage?

• May give SSD a try now

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • USED!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recertified

• Sacrificing Size

• Huddling in a Corner until March atleast

• Forking over the cash because I need a drive

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • S'all good. I'm comfy with 3 TB over here.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I'm buying now for when the prices get worse.

• Deal Hunting

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Poll is not working.

I have enough HDD storage as of now so I just hope they don't fail and waiting for March.

If I knew I would have stock up on the 1TB HDD when they are around $65 and sell them now.

G

"If I knew" could be applying to the whole economy, couldn't it?

I got myself used Caviar Blue, but it's only 1.5 months old and it was used as backup drive outside of PC.

TheMLDrake

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Annoying, looking to build a budget PC for christmas but it shoots up the price when you only have around £400-£500 to play with. Prices have doubled since last build, remember when a caviar black was around £70 and now its at £130. Could be possible deterant to new builders as well because of this.

Dec 2, 2011

I've been contemplating a BD burner for additional back up to hold me over for the next year or so... Can't say I'm looking forward to go back to loading discs in and out and keeping track of archives and yet another password to remember. As expensive as they will get I can't see justifying new drive purchases.

datakeeper

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I'm going to Guatemala next month. At markets, you can get a TB drive for about $20. Now, I know what you're thinking. But yes, they're reliable. The one I purchased last year is not the fastest thing, it runs at 5400. But it works well. They're not sold online (to my knowledge/through a reputable dealer) because the company that makes them primarily makes them for government use and sells only .5% of their stock to Guatemalan markets. They're not quiet. But they'll make due.

Fortunately, I overbought drive space this past summer. My 2x2TB RAID1 is only half allocated as it is. I also have a couple of spare drives lying around; a 250GB (which just needs a complete format to kill a virus my wife got last year), a 320GB, and I have a 500GB drive that may have some data on it but I could clear that off. So, if I needed to build another rig for someone who didn't mind a used drive, I'd be ok.

^No problem fitting everything in for me as well, but if one fail, then the redundancy is gone and I don't know whether it is better to sacrifice the redundancy or sacrifice my money.

datakeeper

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Dammit. I JUST bought a 32 GB Kingston SSD. Damn, now I wish I had held off.

I have Vertex2 for @227.99 when it got out : )

Best upgrade u can do for this price. If u didn't have an SSD yet, it will knock your socks off.

No more busy circle, CS5 loads in 5sec, Win starts fast, closing 200 tabs is instant. Most programs load instantly.

Its the fastest of SATA2 series.

KonstantinDK

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Bought SSD OCZ 120GB Agility 3
Gona reinstall Windows on it and use old HDD for moview storage. I'm gona have an interesting evening playing with SSD =)