Sign in with
Your question

3770k basic OC questions.

Last response: in Overclocking
July 4, 2012 5:28:32 AM

I've been doing some reading on overclocking my 3770k and so far I think I understand the basics but I have a few concerns.

I've only let it run with prime95 for a few minutes just to see where it stands so far and it is running under 70c at 4.5ghz with 1.24v.

So, onto the questions:

Should I enable or disable Internal PLL overvoltage? It is currently disabled.

Should I mess with the CPU PLL voltage at all?

If it stays stable at 4.5ghz and 1.24v without it exceeding 70c is it worth decreasing the voltage? Does decreasing it only lower the temperatures or does a lower voltage help in other ways?

And lastly, to do a full test with prime95 I am understanding I should let it run for a few hours. Does it need to be watched or can I turn it on and leave the room?

Thank you very much for helping a beginner!

More about : 3770k basic questions

July 7, 2012 7:20:06 AM

IMO, lowering voltage does not decrease temps. My Q6600 was at 1.34v at 3.4ghz. Even at 1.49v it didnt increase at all. My 3770k is a 1.30v at 4.4ghz and have had no issues.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 7, 2012 8:18:20 AM

ignore what the guy above me said. you might not notice any temp difference, but logically, less power=less heat. that saves you a couple watts, and makes your CPU last longer. get your voltage as low as you can, but thats already very good for 4.5GHz. if you see any signs of instability, bump up the voltages a tiny bit at a time till you are completely stable, then bump it up a tiny bit more just to be extra safe.

and yes, you can just run prime 95 for a couple of hours while you do whatever you want. just check for errors after.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 8:34:31 PM

@4.5ghz you shouldn't have to adjust your PLL.

Your temps and voltages seem good.

Decreasing your voltage may reduce your temps slightly.

If I was you I would try for some real stabilty.

Prime 95 - 12 hours

OCCT - 1hr

Intel Burn - 10 runs on MAX

Get HWMonitor if you don't already have it, it will also give you info on your other board temps, check the chipset temps <60C is preferable.

http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486...
m
l
!