Upgrading CPU for media server transcoding

robert1291

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello,

I have a computer that I wish to use for streaming and transcoding video to my ps3. I would like to know what the fastest pentium 4 I could run in it.

Here are the specs

Its a Dell Dimension 4700

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 520, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping D0
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 14x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

--------[ CPUID ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPUID Properties:
CPUID Manufacturer GenuineIntel
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F34h
IA Brand ID 00h (Unknown)
Platform ID 13h (Socket 775)
IA CPU Serial Number Unknown
Microcode Update Revision 17
HTT / CMP Units 2 / 1

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 4700

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

--------[ BIOS ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS Properties:
BIOS Type Phoenix A05
System BIOS Date 11/23/04
Video BIOS Date 04/12/20

Thank you for your help.

robert1291

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Well the only processor intensive task this computer does is running the program playon to stream and transcode hulu to my ps3. It currently runs the program fine right now on medium settings. All I want to do is increase the resolution slightly

robert1291

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Because most pentium 4's are around 40 dollars shipped on ebay i'd be willing to take the risk on upgrading the cpu. I just dont plan on building a new rig at this time.

D

Deleted member 217926

I have to agree with mindless.....complete waste of money upgrading a Pentium 4 of any type to another P4.

That motherboard has an Intel 915G chipset and will work with any LGA 775 Pentium 4 5xx or 6xx series chip.

D

Deleted member 217926

Some Prescotts were Socket 478.....you can only use the ones that say Socket 775. By saying Socket you are literally referring to the number of connection points between the CPU and motherboard. So you are looking for Pentium 4 5xx or 6xx series chips.The 6xx series has 64 bit support.

The other information refers to release date and certain specific features some chips had.

A boxed processor should come with a stock heatsink. Im sure BIOS are locked on it if its a Dell so you are not going to be able to overclock anyway so no need for an aftermarket heatsink. I had a 530 ( not overclocked )and it ran pretty cool if I remember right.

robert1291

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Alright thanks for the help, If the stock intel heatsink can handle the heat, my guess is that the dell one with a little thermal paste and a better fan will be fine.

The only reason why I was wondering about the bios update was for the motherboard to recognize the faster clock speed.

Hopefully my PSU is good enough

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Hope it is not too late. Did you consider buying a core 2 duo for that pc? With a bios update your motherboard might work but you will have to check first.
The performance gained is big and there are cheap models out there(core 2 duo or dual core, but new generations not Pentium D).
Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116074

Your Cpu and the one i listed above have the same FSB speed but with lower power consumption and a better performance per clock.

D

Deleted member 217926

NO! lol You have an Intel 915G chipset as I had already posted. No support for anything EXCEPT 1st generation LGA 775 Pentium 4s. You can not even run Pentium Ds much less any Core2s.

ionut19 should have done some research before posting.....especially since he linked you to an even newer 45nm Wolfdale chip that is only supported by the last LGA775 boards to come out.

Hopefully my PSU is good enough

It should be fine as long as the CPU is all you upgrade. Do not try a video card update without being sure though.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
anort3 -you are probably right.
So if you want that CPU you should also get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148166 -1Gb of RAM.
and: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130234 -this motherboard.
So at the end you will have to invest: $67.99+$21.99 +$44.99 =$134.97.
If i understand right your board has an integrated video card. The motherboard that i give you has a better video card.
But this is if you want to invest a little more money.
If not, as others said you can buy a faster P4 CPU.