Sign in with
Your question

Performance difference between 8Gb and 12Gb RAM

Last response: in Memory
July 15, 2010 12:37:38 PM

I'm about to build a new gaming machine, and last time I built one 4Gb was kind of the cap on RAM for almost any normal system

however I know that vista and windows 7 have significantly raised it

I'm curious how these higher RAM amount affect performance,

I've seen some 8gb RAM systems and they seem to work wonderfully, but for a gaming system, would increasing RAM over 8Gb give my a reasonable increase in performance, or would that extra money be better spent bumping up the vid card or cpu 1 tier

Thanks for you input.

More about : performance difference 8gb 12gb ram

a b } Memory
July 15, 2010 1:17:48 PM

for gaming, 4GB is enough ram and really anything over that is a waste, the extra money would be better spent on a better GPU (as games are GPU bound usually)
m
l
July 15, 2010 6:25:00 PM

anyone else have any input? I dont thing mindless is wrong but would like some verification that it's completely true
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 9:30:59 PM

bump,

again, not that I think he's wrong I just want some confirmation
m
l
July 17, 2010 10:53:12 PM

8Gb is enough.... 4gb is not my friend... you really don't need 12gb unless you are playing a game and burning cd's and hearing music and chatting and downloading things at the same time... lol
m
l
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 11:15:37 PM

blink180heights said:
8Gb is enough.... 4gb is not my friend... you really don't need 12gb unless you are playing a game and burning cd's and hearing music and chatting and downloading things at the same time... lol

have you even looked at ram usage during a game, 4GB is plenty (as most games are still 32bit and can only utilize a max of 2GB of ram)

@OP, search through these forums for other people asking the same question about this for gaming machines, we generally recommend 4GB in a system unless there are other uses than gaming (ie programs that benefit from a lot of memory)
m
l
July 28, 2010 8:19:54 AM

I believe the topic is "what is the difference between 8gb and 12gb" , he obviously is not keeping 4gbs.
m
l
!