Snow_crash

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I've got a Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop Small Form Factor as the family computer, and because i'm a broke student right now :na: I don't really have the money to be buliding my own pc at the moment. But i found a potential video card; the Galaxy GT240, which is mostly because of the low power supply. I know it's expensive for what it is, but most other low profile video cards that aren't crap require in the 350-400W range.

Anyways, my two questions are;

1) My PSU is 280W, so can a video card with a minimum 300W PSU run safely? It's a family computer so i would get into pretty deep trouble if I ruined it. Therefore i'd want to be pretty sure that nothing would go wrong.

2) Are the other requirements i need to consider if i were to get this video card in terms of my PSU?

Thanks for the help :)

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

I think you have answered your own question ;) And I doubt very much that 280W PSU is a solid & reliable make either so if it were me I'd be tempted not to push for it. Not really sure what else to suggest though. Sorry I can't be of any more help!

Snow_crash

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

Thanks for reply. That's a bit of bummer, but I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate as ruining the family computer would be the death of me :na: .

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to post some my specs sorry.
Intel Core 2 Duo - 3 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2400 (256 MB)

Snow_crash

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

Thanks again :). That does make it kinda tempting... Sorry, this might be a stupid question, but on a scale of 1-10 how risky would it be?

Changing the card? Very low risk.

Turn off the computer.
Disconnect monitor.
Open up side.
Unscrew the one screw holding old card in.
Unplug the old card.

Repeat the above steps in reverse order to reassemble with new card. Simple really.