Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Would this be enough?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 2, 2010 10:22:49 PM

I've got a Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop Small Form Factor as the family computer, and because i'm a broke student right now :na:  I don't really have the money to be buliding my own pc at the moment. But i found a potential video card; the Galaxy GT240, which is mostly because of the low power supply. I know it's expensive for what it is, but most other low profile video cards that aren't crap require in the 350-400W range.

Anyways, my two questions are;

1) My PSU is 280W, so can a video card with a minimum 300W PSU run safely? It's a family computer so i would get into pretty deep trouble if I ruined it. Therefore i'd want to be pretty sure that nothing would go wrong.

2) Are the other requirements i need to consider if i were to get this video card in terms of my PSU?

Thanks for the help :) 

More about : question

a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2010 10:48:10 PM

Snow_crash said:

1) My PSU is 280W, so can a video card with a minimum 300W PSU run safely? It's a family computer so i would get into pretty deep trouble if I ruined it. Therefore i'd want to be pretty sure that nothing would go wrong.


I think you have answered your own question ;)  And I doubt very much that 280W PSU is a solid & reliable make either so if it were me I'd be tempted not to push for it. Not really sure what else to suggest though. Sorry I can't be of any more help!
m
0
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
March 2, 2010 10:58:41 PM

what else is in the computer? The card draws about 70w at full thottle so its a pretty close call, depending on what processor you have, but I think I woud try it if it were me. LoL
m
0
l
Related resources
March 3, 2010 12:45:11 AM

moody89 said:
I think you have answered your own question ;)  And I doubt very much that 280W PSU is a solid & reliable make either so if it were me I'd be tempted not to push for it. Not really sure what else to suggest though. Sorry I can't be of any more help!


Thanks for reply. That's a bit of bummer, but I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate as ruining the family computer would be the death of me :na:  .

popatim said:
what else is in the computer? The card draws about 70w at full thottle so its a pretty close call, depending on what processor you have, but I think I woud try it if it were me. LoL


Thanks for the reply. I forgot to post some my specs sorry.
Intel Core 2 Duo - 3 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2400 (256 MB)
m
0
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
March 3, 2010 1:38:23 AM

The 3ghz core 2 duo is a 65w processor and the 2400 is about 45-50 or so at full power you are only using 20 more watts after you make the swap. I am reasonably sure you will be fine with this card.
m
0
l
March 3, 2010 1:46:23 AM

popatim said:
The 3ghz core 2 duo is a 65w processor and the 2400 is about 45-50 or so at full power you are only using 20 more watts after you make the swap. I am reasonably sure you will be fine with this card.


Thanks again :) . That does make it kinda tempting... Sorry, this might be a stupid question, but on a scale of 1-10 how risky would it be?
m
0
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2010 10:28:15 AM

Changing the card? Very low risk.

Turn off the computer.
Disconnect monitor.
Open up side.
Unscrew the one screw holding old card in.
Unplug the old card.

Repeat the above steps in reverse order to reassemble with new card. Simple really.
m
0
l