Got new i5 rig - How to benchmark it?

bippukt

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I just got my new i5 rig (Christmas present? :bounce: ) and the specs are as follows (the items in italic were bought much earlier):

Intel core i5 750 with 8 MB cache
Intel DP55WB motherboard (would have liked DP55WG, but not much difference for me)
Transcend 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 HDD
CoolerMaster Extreme Power 600W
GTS 250 512MB
LG LCD 19"@1440x900

Now, the kind worrier about my PC that I am, I will spend the next few days testing this new PC out and seeing if there are any problems with performance. I would really appreciate any help with this. The Intel desktop utilities are not out for the P55 yet, so I have to rely solely on 3rd party software.

Can you tell me which free/trial version software are available and would be the best for testing/monitoring the following:

1. CPU, GPU and Mother board temperature
2. Voltages
3. Check the health of my old and new HDDs.
4. Overall benchmarking of the system. I have a coupon for the full version of 3D Mark Vantage (got it with the GTS 250), but that works only with Vista, right?
5. Any online benchmarking tools?

Please help me find how much my PC can handle :)

Solution
For monitoring of temps & voltage, I recommend downloading HWMonitor or SpeedFan. These are two good programs for monitoring overall system temps/voltage.

I would download and run Prime95 to stress your system for at least an hour under the blend test. This will quickly point out any instablity in your system. Also, download MemTest86+ (Ver 4.0) to test your memory. Run MemTest for at least seven passes to be save.

Overall system performance as a benchmark, I would run 3DMark Vantage (Vista/Win7) or 3DMark06 (XP). This is a good benchmarking tool that you can compare your system's performance to others online. Also, you can look for in-game benchmarks to test your FPS, in games such as Crysis.

tecmo34

Administrator
For monitoring of temps & voltage, I recommend downloading HWMonitor or SpeedFan. These are two good programs for monitoring overall system temps/voltage.

I would download and run Prime95 to stress your system for at least an hour under the blend test. This will quickly point out any instablity in your system. Also, download MemTest86+ (Ver 4.0) to test your memory. Run MemTest for at least seven passes to be save.

Overall system performance as a benchmark, I would run 3DMark Vantage (Vista/Win7) or 3DMark06 (XP). This is a good benchmarking tool that you can compare your system's performance to others online. Also, you can look for in-game benchmarks to test your FPS, in games such as Crysis.

Solution

bippukt

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks tecmo34 and obsidian86 for the names and links. All 3 of my HDDs seem fine to be in fine health according to HD Tune, although I keep hearing strange noises from the HDD area occasionally.

I did a sensor test using RealTemp and this is the result (set TJmax to 90C instead of 100C):

sensortest.jpg

I used the HW monitor and here is a result at negligible load:

powerv.png

As you can see, there are no voltages and there is no listing for the chipset, fan or PWM or ACPI (what are they?). I really want to see the voltages because the CM Extreme Power Duo 600W is a bad PSU, although I think it will surely be able to handle this puny system.

Also, I sometimes see a strange sort of "flickering" (don't know what else to call it) on the monitor. I though LCD monitors didn't flicker! It is most apparent during games, but I sometimes feel that I can spot it even on the desktop background. The "flickering" is most apparent in FPS/RPG games and much less in strategy games; and much more visible on plain and light screen. Even a much less demanding game like Half Life 2 are suffering from this. This is one more reason I want to know the voltages. I had seen this sort of "flickering" even on my cousin's LCD monitor when I had installed my Gfx card and PSU in his C2D PC. Is it just my eyes decieving me or is there a problem? Unfortunately, I don't have a CRT monitor to test this and my monitor does have a severe ghosting problem (no FIFA on this PC unless you want a headache).

I would really appreciate any inputs on this :)

PS: I am getting 30-60 FPS in Crysis at High settings. Am I getting less than I should?