Sign in with
Your question

~60G SSD 3g Best bang for the buck >$110

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2011 2:49:06 PM

I am going to rebuild my gaming system this month and I am thinking about taking the SSD jump
Win 7 64
4Gb Ram
I have looked at all the under 110 60G SSD on Newegg and more then half of them have Con's ie Blue Screens, wouldn't detect, can't install windows, my system is slower now or it was good after I installed it but it is slower after a few weeks.

I know to only install the OS on the SSD and move all my temp, cache and Page files to one of my Hard Drives, to use ACHI and to flash the bios on the SSD before installing but which SSD is going to offer the best for my buck?

I will be purchasing from Newegg by the end of the week,

More about : 60g ssd bang buck 110

a c 311 G Storage
December 5, 2011 3:31:16 PM

The title indicates you are looking for a 60GB, SATA 2, 3Gb/s solid state drive. Is that correct?

If that is correct, then you should consider the Samsung 470, SATA 2, 3Gb/s ssd. The 470's are stable and very reliable. Unlike ssd's with SandForce controllers there have not been any 470 issues or problems reported.
m
l
December 5, 2011 4:50:35 PM

Yes that is what I am looking for I will check out the item you suggested, just a quick follow up question can a desktop use a mini pci express drive as a boot? I assume an adapter would be required but they seem to be cheaper by about 30 %
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 4:56:53 PM

geofelt said:
Go ahead and get a ssd, you will love it.

I suggest an Intel 320 80gb drive which is $120 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel has one of the fewest return rates:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/831-7/components-ret...

Also, keep your page and temp files on the ssd where you will benefit most from their performance.
With 80gb, you can even install a couple of games.

Really? I read elsewhere that because of TRIM you should keep those off teh SSD?
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
December 6, 2011 7:17:01 PM

Trim is the capability to notify the ssd that a deleted file does not need a read/rewrite cycle to mark the file as deleted.

The argument for moving highly updated stuff off of the ssd is that you will preserve the number of write cycles that a ssd has.
The argument FOR putting it in the ssd is that activity will be done faster, exactly the reason that you buy a SSD in the first place....to use it.

In fact, for a normal desktop user, the SSD will be long obsolete before the write cycles are used up. (5-10 years?) Even if you run out of writes, the drive remains readable, so you can copy it to a replacement.
Intel is so confident of this that their 320 series gets a 5 year warranty.
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
December 6, 2011 9:26:07 PM

I agree with geofelt.
m
l
!