Intel Q9400 uprgade from E6400

MrSter

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I am wondering why my motherboard does not accommodate the heat sink that came with my Q9400. I have an E6400 With a cooler that I cannot identify, I also do not know how to identify the motherboard. The Q9400 is accommodated by the motherboard (socket LGA775 4nm) however the pins on the heatsink do not line up with the pin holes on the motherboard AND there is nowhere for me to plug the heatsink into the motherboard (My older heatsink did not plug in anywhere)... The heatsink that is currently on my computer is larger than the one that came with my Q9400 (Though I'm not sure if it will provide adequate cooling)... Is there any getting around this problem? Do I need to buy a separate heatsink (I'd rather not if I can avoid it)? Is this an indication that my Motherboard does not support the Q9400 (I know the socket type is correct but there is nowhere to plug the fan it and it does not fit in)?

What I know about my system

Windows XP Pro. SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13GHz (Currently... I'm looking to upgrade to Q9400)
CHIP TYPE: ATI Radeon Graphics processor (0X9442) (Not sure if this is pertinent)
ATI Radeon HD 4850
BIOS Information: 113-B50102-103

Again I'm concerned the Q9400 CPU may not a viable upgrade due to the fact that the heatsink does not physically fit my motherboard and the fact that there is nowhere to plug the heatsink into. If there is a way around this please let me know how I can accommodate the Q9400 on my PC.

I also just realized that my "technology" is 65nm... while the new Q9400 that I want to install is 45nm... I think I can get around this by installing new bios though. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks

Told us everything but what motherboard you have? Without that we are in the dark to what you have there has to be some identifier on the board somewhere.

If you can post a picture it would help?

Also the cooler on your old CPU will be fine

MrSter

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

it is an E5200 MOTHERBOARD (0WG864) I have 2.0.4 BIOS currently but am ready to install the 2.4.0 BIOS (Which I'm sure I'll have to do).

Thank you very much for your input

MrSter

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

This is the first time I've purchased a new processor. I'm sure it is compatible, (only concern I have is 65nm to 45nm tech difference. It definitely fits the socket). The fan not fitting is the only problem I had when I tried to install it, I noticed the fan didn't fit which led me to doubt the whole compatibility of the processor. I still believe that the processor upgrade should work. it is the correct socket type (I'll probably just need to install bios to accommodate the QUAD CORES and 45NM TECHNOLOGY please correct me if I'm wrong).