Stock PC - Can I OC (even just a little?)

ThereWillBeAWay

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Stock set up from Best(pff) Buy. It's not amazing but it gets the job done. Custom built PC gift from friend was virus ridden and I needed a new computer fast for banking/security etc.

On to the question... Can I overclock this guy just a little? I am not looking for vast improvements, but I did upgrade the Video card drastically (was using the on-board lol) and the PSU to a 750W (from stock 250w) I just wanted to see if I could give it a boost. I also have some Case Fans from scrap computers that I could cut/mount into the mesh side panels easily. I know my way around a workshop, so I am sure I could modify anything I need to for better airflow or what have you. Maybe replace a large portion of the removable case panel with a tight mesh and install another fan... I don't know what I would need.

Anyway, even if it puts me into the 3GHZ range that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance, everyone! Man this site rocks :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147367

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.8GHZ (stock)

Motherboard... (Everest Home came up unknown...)

Memory: 6GB DDR3 (stock... never actually looked at brand... lol)

Hard Drive ST3100005 28AS SATA 1TB (stock)

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Case: (HP stock)

Power Supply: KINGWIN ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V v2.2

Optical Drive: HP CDDVDW TS-H653R (stock)

Solution

There is at least one option that I know of (SetFSB), but I've never used it, so I honestly can't say one way or the other how safe it is. I DO know that most people here advise against using. Also, it may or may not even work because it may not support your mobo.

A mobo swap would require a new copy of Windows because the one that's on it is OEM and can only ever be used with the mobo that it was originally installed on (it will fail validation and can't be reactivated). You would need to do a reinstall (or at the very least, a repair install) of Windows anyway...

ThereWillBeAWay

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

In your opinion... Since warranty is already passed... Is it possible through other means? Is it safe? Can I swap the motherboard without losing everything I have?
Thanks for answering by the way

There is at least one option that I know of (SetFSB), but I've never used it, so I honestly can't say one way or the other how safe it is. I DO know that most people here advise against using. Also, it may or may not even work because it may not support your mobo.

A mobo swap would require a new copy of Windows because the one that's on it is OEM and can only ever be used with the mobo that it was originally installed on (it will fail validation and can't be reactivated). You would need to do a reinstall (or at the very least, a repair install) of Windows anyway, though. You can do that without reformatting, of course, so you wouldn't lose anything but your settings basically.

Solution

ThereWillBeAWay

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Hmmm... Well thank you for that in-depth response ^_^ As of now it is not a bad running computer... So I will just leave it as is for now.

Thanks again!