Choosing Cpu Cooler- Help

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hi everyone,

My brother just bought a I5 3570 K, the same I have on my gaming rig, however he is never going to overclock it... or if he ( ...I do it for him ...) does it it´s going to be in about 2-3 years, for now it´s just enough for him.

However his girlfriend bought him a noctua something (he couldn´t tell me on the phone , I belive it´s the NH -D14 ) and a V6 or V8 cooler master, apparently she tought you could use more than one :lol: .... (needless to say she doesn´t know anything about pc´s... :D )

Ok, he asked me if he should keep the stock, or use one aftermarket, if aftermarket which one...

However I´ve been searching here and found out using aftermarket voids the warranty..so I´m kind of lost on what to tell him....

Should he just exchange the coolers for some other part and keep the stock one for warranty?

Also if there is another better cooler I belive he can exchange so any advice is great ;)

Many thanks! :)

Solution

Keep the Noctua Heatsink, the NH-D14 is stellar. Noctua Fans/heatsinks typically come with a PWM Y splitter (like mentioned above) so you can hook the two fans into one CPU fan header. Search through the accessories, its there.
the after market info is wrong. as long as you dont melt or bend the pins on a cpu. intel will replace the cpu under warranty.
the intel stock cooler plastick legs dont lock in as well as the after-market coolers. the after market NH -D14 going to be very quiet in any case and with two large 140mm fan it will be spinning slow to keep that new cpu cool. the slower the fan runs the less fan noise from the case. i have a cooler like that one but it the kind that the fan is facing up ___ to the mb. it runs at 600 rpm and my temps stay at the 35-38 range all day. with a heat sink and thermal paste you want to get the heat sink on tight to to the top of the cpu. most over heat with new builds is the heat sink on too lose. once you have your heat sink on right it should last you many years as long as you keep the dust out of the case.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I'm using the Intel Therrmal solution and am extremely happy. It's absolutely quiet, keeps my cpu very cool, and the plastic legs work just fine. I'm using mine on an Intel I7 3960x. I'd buy another one of those coolers righ now, if I needed it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Thanks for the info !

But his girlfrend bought them from a store and I´ve checked with him they don´t have intel thermal solution, I believe it´s somehow only available in the US, even Amazon UK doesn´t have it..

The store she bought it from however has mostly all air cooling solutions there is, and also some closed loop coolers from antec and corsair ( which I don´t recomend for the risk of leaks), so I´m only choosing between air coolers (CM V8 or Noctua NH-D14) however if someone knows any better I believe he can exchange :D

Thanks! ;)

He won't do much better than a NH-D14 for air cooling. A Thermalright Silver Arrow and Phanteks PH-TC14PE would be even with it, but he already has the NH-D14, so that's the one he should use and just return the V8 (The TPC-812 is the best option from CM, BTW).

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Ok he got the computer sent to me, I'm getting it fixed today, need some final advice.

I can't keep the noctua because it has two fan cables and the motherboard only has 1 cpu fan controller... :??:

Do I need a fan controller? Do you guys thing the aerocool fan controler is good?

Also the store can exchange for a akasa venom voodoo or a hyper212 evo and give me the price difference which I can use on the fan controller... Any suggestions?

Many thanks! :D

skaz

Distinguished

Keep the Noctua Heatsink, the NH-D14 is stellar. Noctua Fans/heatsinks typically come with a PWM Y splitter (like mentioned above) so you can hook the two fans into one CPU fan header. Search through the accessories, its there.

Solution

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Many thanks! I was about to buy some, he only shipped the cooler not the rest of the box so it must be there :D

Also Many Thanks to everyone who helped me! :)