Sign in with
Your question

SRT and External USB 3.0 HDD?

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2011 4:13:01 PM

I'm piecing together a new system and some parts are:

Asrock Z68 board extreme 3 Gen 3 +i3 processor
Samsung 830 64GB SSD

I was trying to keep a tighter budget so I was planning on just using a ~500GB HDD from my other computer but realized this would be more trouble than just buying a new drive so I sprung for this last night:

Verbatim 2TB Store 'n' Save USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive for $89.99 - link

Some other stuff I saw led me to believe it is actually a 7200 RPM drive inside rather than 5400 Samsung as said there, but I suppose other factors like cache matters too, and these specs really won't affect performance much because of the nature of Smart Response Technology (SRT), correct?

So does SRT even work on an external drive or will I need to disassemble the HDD and put it inside my build? Then if I should put it inside will it matter if it is set on a Sata 2 or 3 port? I think I have one more Sata3 port free on the mobo since I don't have many other components, but it would be nice to know.

More about : srt external usb hdd

December 8, 2011 5:08:56 PM

Really, nobody? =(
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2011 12:51:44 AM

I think SRT has to be internal because you have to set sata controller to RAID mode.

Here's more info:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271678-32-intel-sata-... -JohnnyLucky's reply

And seriously?! Z68 and you get an i3?

I would drop the mobo to a lower tier and get better cpu and not use SRT, running SSD with OS and program and HDD for storage.
m
l
!